Why does strong magnetic field destroy spherical symmetry of atom?

In summary, in most of quantum textbook, they say strong magnetic field destroy the spherical symmetry of an atom in zeeman effect. Total angular moment is not conserved. Can anyone explain what physical meaning is? I cannot picture it in my mind. How does strong magnetic field cause spherical symmetry loss?
xfshi2000
In most of quantum textbook, they say strong magnetic field destroy the spherical symmetry of an atom in zeeman effect. Total angular moment is not conserved. Can anyone explain what physical meaning is? I cannot picture it in my mind. How does strong magnetic field cause spherical symmetry loss? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
xfshi2000 said:
In most of quantum textbook, they say strong magnetic field destroy the spherical symmetry of an atom in zeeman effect. Total angular moment is not conserved. Can anyone explain what physical meaning is? I cannot picture it in my mind. How does strong magnetic field cause spherical symmetry loss? thanks

The Zeeman effect involves the application of a static external magnetic field. This magnetic field singles out a particular direction, thus breaking spherical symmetry.

Symmetry will be broken no matter what the strength of the field, but at sufficiently weak field it may be possible to neglect the effects of symmetry breaking without introducing too serious errors.

If there's a particular reference that's confusing you, please share it so we can try to check it out.

Thank you for your kind reply. When I read quantum textbooks, I found a lot of stuff confuse me. For example:
(1) Photon has spin 1. But it only has two projections along the propagation direction. ms=(+/-)h bar. ms=0 is not existed because of transverse property of light. Dot product of vector k and polarization direction of photon epsilon should be zero. in textbook, they derive it in mathematical calculation. Does anyone give a physical picture about this case? Simply, a photon can be described by a plane wave. But we need modify the plane wave and multiply this plane wave by polarization direction of photon to construct photon wave function.

(2) This question also is related to zeeman effect. As we know, for ground state of hydrogen atom, S-state is splitted by external magnetic field. The transition between these two splitting energys generate a photon with different polarization radiation. Anyone can explain this radiation field of this transition? Such as the transition between different angular moment quantum number with same magnetic quantum number and the transition between same angular moment quantum number with different magnetic quantum number. Sometime a circularly polarized photon or linearly polarized photon from different view plane is generated. I don't know why? Anyone can comment that? thanks a lot.

Related to Why does strong magnetic field destroy spherical symmetry of atom?

1. Why does a strong magnetic field affect the symmetry of an atom?

A strong magnetic field can affect the symmetry of an atom because it interacts with the magnetic moments of the atom's electrons. This interaction causes the electrons to align their spin with the direction of the magnetic field, breaking the spherical symmetry of the atom.

2. What is spherical symmetry in an atom?

Spherical symmetry in an atom refers to the symmetrical distribution of electrons around the nucleus in all directions. This means that the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus is evenly distributed and does not have a preferred direction.

3. How does a magnetic field change the energy levels of an atom?

A strong magnetic field can change the energy levels of an atom by causing the electrons to align their spin with the direction of the field. This alignment results in a splitting of energy levels, known as the Zeeman effect, which can be observed in the emission or absorption spectra of the atom.

4. Can a strong magnetic field destroy the electron cloud of an atom?

No, a strong magnetic field cannot destroy the electron cloud of an atom. The electrons are still bound to the nucleus and their orbits are not affected by the magnetic field. However, the electron cloud may appear distorted due to the breaking of spherical symmetry.

5. How does the destruction of spherical symmetry affect the properties of an atom?

The destruction of spherical symmetry in an atom can affect its properties such as its chemical reactivity, magnetic properties, and spectral lines. This is because the electronic structure of the atom is changed, leading to different interactions with other atoms and external magnetic fields.