Why Does the Bloch Sphere Use Theta Over Two for Qubit Representation?

In summary, the Bloch Sphere representation of a qubit, as shown on page 15 (equation 1.4) of Quantum Computation and Quantum Information by Nelson and Chuang, is described by the equation |\psi> = \cos\frac{\theta}{2} |0> + e^{i\psi}\sin\frac{\theta}{2} |1>, with the motivation being that it is just spherical coordinates and the parameter space is decomposed into a part that affects measurements in this basis (\theta) and a part that does not (\psi). The use of \theta/2 rather than \theta is for aesthetic reasons or to maintain consistency with previous uses of \theta.
maverick280857
I am reading Quantum Computation and Quantum Information by Nelson and Chuang myself and came across the Bloch Sphere representation of a quibit on page 15 (equation 1.4) as:

[tex]|\psi> = \cos\frac{\theta}{2} |0> + e^{i\psi}\sin\frac{\theta}{2} |1>[/tex]

I have two questions:

1. What is the motivation behind such a representation (other than the fact that the sum of the squares of the coefficients of [itex]|0>[/itex] and [itex]|1>[/itex] equals 1)?

2. Why use [itex]\theta/2[/itex] rather than [itex]\theta[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
1. What is the motivation behind such a representation (other than the fact that the sum of the squares of the coefficients of [itex]|0>[/itex] and [itex]|1>[/itex] equals 1)?
It really is just spherical coordinates.

I suppose the fact that the parameter space is decomposed into a part that affects measurements in done this basis ([itex]\theta[/itex]) and a part that does not ([itex]\psi[/itex]) is an extra source of convenience.

2. Why use [itex]\theta/2[/itex] rather than [itex]\theta[/itex]?
Aesthetic reasons. For example, look at expectation calculations. Or maybe the author already gave [itex]\theta[/itex] a meaning, so he has to use this to be consistent.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
It really is just spherical coordinates.

Yes, I thought so too, that's why I asked about [itex]\theta/2[/itex]. Thanks.

Related to Why Does the Bloch Sphere Use Theta Over Two for Qubit Representation?

1. What is the Bloch Sphere?

The Bloch Sphere is a geometric representation used to visualize the quantum state of a two-level quantum system, such as a qubit. It is a unit sphere with the north and south poles representing the two possible states of the system, and any point on the surface representing a superposition of these states.

2. How is the Bloch Sphere used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the Bloch Sphere is used to represent the state of a qubit, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. It is a useful tool for understanding and manipulating the quantum states of a qubit, and for visualizing quantum gates and algorithms.

3. What is the relationship between the Bloch Sphere and the Bloch vector?

The Bloch vector is a mathematical representation of the state of a qubit, which can be visualized on the Bloch Sphere. The direction of the vector on the sphere corresponds to the state of the qubit, and the length of the vector represents the probability of measuring that state.

4. How is the Bloch Sphere related to the concept of quantum entanglement?

The Bloch Sphere can be used to represent the state of an entangled qubit system, where the two qubits are in a correlated state. The Bloch vector of an entangled qubit system cannot be described as a single vector, but rather a combination of the individual Bloch vectors of each qubit.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Bloch Sphere as a visualization tool?

The Bloch Sphere is a useful tool for visualizing the state of a two-level quantum system, but it has limitations when it comes to representing systems with more than two levels. It also does not provide a complete picture of a quantum system, as it only represents the state of a single qubit and not the interactions between multiple qubits.