Why does the Golf Ball Heat Up After Coming to Rest?

• Thread starter cashflow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the golf ball's temperature is slightly higher after it comes to rest due to the small kinetic energy it gains from each collision with the ground. Friction with the air molecules does not significantly contribute to the increase in temperature. The ball does not gain energy from the air, but rather loses some energy due to friction.
cashflow

Homework Statement

A golf ball is dropped onto hard ground and, after a few bounces, comes to rest.

Why is the golf ball’s temperature slightly higher after it comes to rest?

1. The ball acquired energy from friction
with the air molecules.

2. The air temperature is higher than that
of the ball.

3. Each collision with the ground gives a
small kinetic energy to the atoms in the ball.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's 1 because friction heats up the ball and adds KE to the system. But when it collides with the ground doesn't that remove KE from the system? And air is a higher temperature than the ball too, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is not 1. The friction does no work since the ball does not move against the (static) friction force. Every time the ball hits the ground, it compresses. That compression stores energy in the ball. But, since the ball eventually comes to rest, we know that some of that energy is not returned as ball kinetic energy. Where does it go?

AM

Thanks. I understand why 3 is correct, but how does the ball not move against the static friction force? I mean I thought friction caused by air always a factor?

cashflow said:
Thanks. I understand why 3 is correct, but how does the ball not move against the static friction force? I mean I thought friction caused by air always a factor?
I read the problem too quickly. I thought it was referring to friction with the ground. Sorry to confuse you!

The ball does not gain energy from the air. There is some loss of ball energy due to friction with air molecules. But it is not energy from the air transferring to the ball. It is the other way around. Furthermore, it would not increase the temperature of the ball perceptibly.

AM

Thanks! That makes sense now.

1. Why does a golf ball heat up after coming to rest?

The golf ball heats up after coming to rest due to a phenomenon known as friction. When the ball is in motion, there is friction between the ball and the ground, which causes the molecules in the ball to move and generate heat. This heat is then trapped inside the ball, causing it to warm up.

2. Does the type of surface the golf ball lands on affect its temperature?

Yes, the type of surface the golf ball lands on can affect its temperature. A harder surface, such as concrete, can cause more friction and therefore, more heat. On the other hand, a softer surface, like grass, can absorb some of the friction and result in less heat being produced.

3. How long does it take for a golf ball to cool down after coming to rest?

The length of time for a golf ball to cool down after coming to rest depends on various factors such as the temperature of the surrounding environment, the type of surface it landed on, and the material of the golf ball. On average, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for a golf ball to cool down.

4. Can the heating of a golf ball affect its performance?

In most cases, the heating of a golf ball after coming to rest does not significantly affect its performance. However, extreme temperatures can cause the air pressure inside the ball to change, which can result in slight changes in the ball's flight and distance. This is why golfers are advised to use a new ball every few holes to ensure consistent performance.

5. Is there a way to prevent a golf ball from heating up after coming to rest?

Unfortunately, there is no way to completely prevent a golf ball from heating up after coming to rest. However, using a softer ball or playing on a softer surface can reduce the amount of friction and heat generated. Additionally, keeping the ball in a cooler environment or using a shade cover can also help prevent excessive heating.