Why Does the Ideal Gas Law Fail at the Critical Point of Carbon Tetrachloride?

In summary, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the pressure of water vapor at STP, with the conversion from Pa to mmHg and the inclusion of density and molar mass factors resulting in 760mm (1atm). However, when applying the same calculation to carbon tetrachloride at its critical point, a discrepancy is found between the expected pressure of 34181 mmHg and the calculated pressure of 125.6 mmHg. Further investigation is needed to determine the cause of this error, such as the units of density used in the calculation.
coolnessitself
[SOLVED] ideal gas law numerically

If I calculate the pressure of water vapor at stp (in mmHg),
P= 1000*7.502e-3*R*(0+273)*.804/18;
where the 7.502e-3 factor converts from Pa to mmHg, 1000 is because my density (.804) is in grams/cm^3, 18 is the molar mass of water, etc etc. and this comes out to be 760mm (1atm), as expected. Now, here's the problem. I've got carbon tetrachloride at it's critical point. Literature shows its T_c = 283.15, density_c=.5576, and pressure_c = 34181 mmHg. However, if I just do
P= 1000*7.502e-3*R*(283.15+273)*.5576/154.01;
I get 125.6 mmHg, not 34181 mmHg. Where did I go wrong? Is it just that the dieal gas law fails, because I've also tried data points that aren't near the critical region and at room temp and neither work..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your density in g/cm^3 or g/L ?

It seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation. The ideal gas law should work for any gas, including carbon tetrachloride at its critical point. However, you may need to use different units for the gas constant (R) depending on the units of your other variables. It is also important to make sure that all of your units are consistent throughout the calculation. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for each variable. If you are still having trouble, please provide more information about your calculations so I can assist you further.

Related to Why Does the Ideal Gas Law Fail at the Critical Point of Carbon Tetrachloride?

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a closed system. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is the numerical value of the gas constant (R)?

The numerical value of the gas constant depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. In SI units, the value of R is 8.314 J/mol∙K. In other units, such as atm, L, and K, the value of R may be different.

3. How do I use the ideal gas law to solve numerical problems?

To use the ideal gas law to solve numerical problems, you must first identify the given variables and convert them to the appropriate units. Then, plug in the values into the equation PV = nRT and solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can the ideal gas law be used for all gases?

No, the ideal gas law can only be used for gases that behave ideally, meaning that they have no intermolecular forces and occupy a negligible volume compared to the container they are in. Real gases deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures.

5. How does the ideal gas law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is based on the assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gases are made up of tiny particles in constant motion and that the pressure of a gas is caused by the collisions of these particles with the walls of the container. The ideal gas law provides a mathematical relationship between the variables that describe the behavior of ideal gases predicted by the kinetic theory.