Why Does the Output Signal Clip in a BJT Amplifier with a 2V Sine Input?

In summary, the output signal is being clipped due to the limited supply voltage of the transistor used.
MarcMTL

Homework Statement

The questions states to draw the output voltage (Vo) for two full cycles knowing that we have a sine source with 2v amplitude.

Homework Equations

162xk9.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found:
Ic = 1.303 mA
Av (gain) = 1I can't figure out why the output signal gets clipped while on the input signal is on a positive phase. You can see below that the simulation clearly shows a clipping of the output when the input goes above 1v.

ivbtqf.jpg
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out by explaining why it clips. It's really bugging me not knowing why it's clipped.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:The output is clipping because the transistor you are using does not have an infinite supply voltage, it has a limited supply voltage. When the input signal goes above 1V, the output cannot go any higher than the supply voltage. This is why it clips. To avoid this, you can either use a higher supply voltage, or you can use a different type of transistor that has a higher supply voltage.

Related to Why Does the Output Signal Clip in a BJT Amplifier with a 2V Sine Input?

What is BJT Small Signal Analysis?

BJT Small Signal Analysis is a method used to analyze the behavior of a Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT) under small variations in input signals. It involves using linear small signal models to determine the transistor's gain, impedance, and frequency response.

Why is BJT Small Signal Analysis important?

BJT Small Signal Analysis is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a transistor in electronic circuits. This is crucial for designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications.

What are the key assumptions made in BJT Small Signal Analysis?

The key assumptions made in BJT Small Signal Analysis are that the input signal is small enough to be considered a perturbation, the transistor is operating in the active region, and the signal frequency is within the transistor's bandwidth.

How is BJT Small Signal Analysis performed?

BJT Small Signal Analysis involves constructing a small signal model of the transistor, which includes a small signal equivalent circuit and a hybrid-pi model. The small signal model is then used to determine the transistor's parameters, such as voltage gain, current gain, and input/output impedance.

What are some common applications of BJT Small Signal Analysis?

BJT Small Signal Analysis is commonly used in the design of amplifiers, oscillators, and other electronic circuits. It is also used in the analysis of linear circuits and in the development of communication systems.