Why does the picture on my videos not keep up with the audio

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with playing videos on Real Player on a laptop. The picture freezes while the audio continues playing normally, and then the video quickly catches up. The cause of this issue is unknown and could be due to the laptop's capabilities or the Real Player software. Factors such as the operating system, software versions, RAM, network connectivity, and available disk space could all play a role. This could potentially be due to a high video frame rate, also known as frame dropping, especially with HD videos. Other potential factors include running other programs or having a slow computer.
bluemoonKY
I frequently download videos from youtube onto Real Player on my laptop. Lately, when I have played videos on Real Player, the picture of the video on my laptop's monitor will freeze for 10 or 15 seconds, but the audio keeps playing normally. Then after 10 or 15 seconds of my picture being frozen, the video will catch up and show the missing 10 or 15 seconds of video really quick, like maybe 2 seconds. What is causing this? When I play videos on Real Player on my laptop, is it shortcomings of my laptop that is causing the video to lag behind the audio, or is the problem with my Real Player itself, not the hardware or other software of my laptop?

Computer science news on Phys.org
That's a hard question to answer without knowing a bunch of stuff like the OS version, software versions, RAM, network connectivity status, whether your disk space is nearly full, etc... There could be a number of reasons.

This usually means the video frame rate is too high for your computer to handle. They sometimes call this frame dropping. I've seen it happen on ubuntu with VLC for example especially with an HD video.

Do you have other things running or is this a slow computer or is the video HD quality ie lots of data to process?

1. Why is there a delay between the video and audio in my videos?

There are a few possible reasons for this delay. One reason could be due to the processing speed of your device or internet connection. Another reason could be an issue with the video player or encoding of the video. It is also possible that the video and audio were not synced properly during the recording process.

2. How can I fix the delay between the video and audio in my videos?

First, check your device and internet speed to ensure they are not the cause of the delay. If the issue persists, try using a different video player or re-encoding the video using a professional editing software. If the video and audio were not synced properly during recording, you may need to re-record the video.

3. Can poor internet connection affect the synchronization of video and audio?

Yes, poor internet connection can cause a delay between the video and audio. This is because the video may be buffering while the audio continues to play, resulting in a mismatch between the two. Make sure to have a stable and strong internet connection when watching or recording videos.

4. Why does the delay between video and audio only happen on certain videos?

The delay may only occur on certain videos due to differences in the video and audio file formats or encoding. It could also be due to the length or complexity of the video. Some videos may require more processing power to play properly, resulting in a delay between the video and audio.

5. Is there a way to prevent the delay between video and audio in my videos?

To prevent the delay, ensure that your device and internet connection are in good condition. Use a high-quality video player and make sure the video and audio are properly synced during the recording process. If necessary, invest in professional editing software to re-encode the video and audio files for better synchronization.