Why does the rate of transitions depend on the population of the ground state?

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on the classical excitation of a fluorophore and the use of two laser beams, an excitation laser and a STED laser, to induce transitions between energy levels. The equations used follow the classical Einstein-like equations, but there is confusion about the term involving a difference in population numbers and why it is not simply a negative value. The term is explained to account for stimulated emission, where the rate of transitions from one state to another depends on the population of the initial state. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the contributions of different transitions on the population of certain energy levels.
marco1235
Hi all. I need a help about a stupid thing which is puzzling me! I'm studying a paper where it's described a classical excitation of a fluorophore from a ground state to an excited state.

See the attached image!

There are two laser beams which act on the sample, the first one which is an excitation laser (it runs the ##L_{0}## to ##L_{1}## transition) and a second laser beam called STED (yes the same of the "new" fancy way of getting super resolute images, I'm actually studying the theory of this super resolution technique).

Now the eqs are the classical Einstein like, but what I don't understand is (let's take for example the first one) why there's a factor like ##h_{exc}\sigma_{01} ( n_1- n_0)##. I would had expected something like "minus" a quantity which told me that the temporal variation of the ground state is diminished because of absorption. In fact the second term of the right hand side is of the form ##1/\tau_{vibr} * n_3## which is telling me that atoms are coming from the level ##L_3##.

Same reasoning applies for the other equations, but it would be great to have an understanding of just the first one, the other will be the same thing.
Thanks in advance and forgive me if my English is not so correct. I did my best.

Have a wonderful day everybody! Ciao

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that in the first equation you have n_1 - n_0, not n_0 - n_1. It is a negative number, just written by flipping the n terms instead of with the negative sign explicitly out in front of the term.

Yeah I noticed it, but the question is, why that term with a difference in population number and not a simple ##- h_{exc} \sigma_{01} n_1## !? I don't understand the part with ##n_0##.
It has no sense to me.

I would had written the equation like this: ## dn_{0}/dt = -h_{exc}\sigma_{01} * n_1 + 1/\tau_{vibr} * n_3 ##

Not as in the paper. Maybe now my objection is more clear, I hope so. :wink:

The +hexcσ01∗n1 term accounts for stimulated emission.

Did you mean the ##+h_{ecx}\sigma n_0## ? ##n_0## not ##n_1## as you wrote in the last message

No, what I wrote is correct. Can you explain why you think ## dn_{0}/dt = -h_{exc}\sigma_{01} * n_1 + 1/\tau_{vibr} * n_3 ## is the correct form? Which transition does the ##-h_{exc}\sigma_{01}## term account for and what transition does the ##1/\tau_{vibr} * n_3## account for?

Solved! I went a bit fast and after reviewing Einstein coefficients everything is right!

The basic thing to remember is that the rate of transitions from state A to state B will almost always depend on the population of state A. So, for example, if you're looking at the rate of excitation of electrons from L0 to L1, the rate will be ##h_{exc}\sigma_{01}*n_o## not ##h_{exc}\sigma_{01}*n_1##. Similarly, because stimulated emission is a transition from L1 to L0, the rate will be ##h_{exc}\sigma_{01}*n_1##. Thus, when you look at the contributions of excitation from L0 to L1 and stimulated emission from L1 to L0 on the population of n0, the ##h_{exc}\sigma_{01}*n_o## term will have a negative sign (because it involves electrons transitioning from L0 to L1, and the ##h_{exc}\sigma_{01}*n_1## will have a positive sign (because it involves electrons transitioning from L1 to L0).

1. What is fluorescence?

Fluorescence is the emission of light by a substance that has absorbed light or other electromagnetic radiation. It is a phenomenon commonly observed in certain substances, such as fluorescent dyes, minerals, and biological molecules.

2. How is fluorescence used in scientific research?

Fluorescence is a widely used tool in scientific research, particularly in fields such as biology, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to study the properties and behavior of molecules, to track the movement of cells and particles, and to detect and quantify molecules in a sample.

3. What can cause a problem with fluorescence?

There are several factors that can affect fluorescence, such as the quality and type of light source, the fluorescence properties of the sample, and the detection method used. Other factors, such as sample preparation and environmental conditions, can also impact fluorescence measurements.

4. How can a problem with fluorescence be identified and resolved?

If you are experiencing a problem with fluorescence, the first step is to carefully evaluate and troubleshoot the different components of your experiment. This may involve adjusting the light source, optimizing the sample preparation, or trying different detection methods. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for advice.

5. Are there any limitations to using fluorescence in scientific research?

While fluorescence is a valuable tool in scientific research, there are some limitations to consider. For example, not all molecules and samples exhibit fluorescence, and some substances may interfere with fluorescence measurements. Additionally, fluorescence can be affected by external factors, making it important to carefully control experimental conditions and validate results.