Why does this bulb get brighter after the switch is closed

In summary: And what are your thoughts on that...?In summary, the homework statement was that the answer to the problem is B, bulb B will be brighter than before. TheAttempt at a Solution states that the answer is that the current gets split so that 2/3 I0 goes to the branch with 2 bulbs, since it has twice the resistance of the first branch, and that 1/3 I0 goes to the first branch. My thought was that initially, the current gets split so that 2/3 I0 goes to the branch with 2 bulbs, since it has twice the resistance of the first branch, and that 1/3 I0 goes to the first branch.
alexdr5398

Homework Statement

pKYgD0X.jpg

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is B, bulb B will be brighter than before.

My thought was that initially, the current gets split so that 2/3 I0 goes to the branch with 2 bulbs, since it has twice the resistance of the first branch, and that 1/3 I0 goes to the first branch. And when the switch is closed, that initial junction doesn't change, so I picked D.

Can anyone explain where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your thought on how current was distributed was not correct (edit: study "current division").

"the initial junction doesn't change, so I picked D" requires additional clarification.

Ask yourself what is the voltage across A before and after the switch closure.

Ask yourself what is the voltage across B before and after the switch closure.

Last edited:
lewando said:
Your thought on how current was distributed was not correct (edit: study "current division").

"the initial junction doesn't change, so I picked D" requires additional clarification.

Ask yourself what is the voltage across A before and after the switch closure.

Ask yourself what is the voltage across B before and after the switch closure.

I still don't really understand.

So the voltage across A initially would be equal to emf of the source, right? And the voltage across B is a fraction of the emf,with the other fraction shared with the other lightbulb?

alexdr5398 said:
I still don't really understand.

So the voltage across A initially would be equal to emf of the source, right? And the voltage across B is a fraction of the emf,with the other fraction shared with the other lightbulb?
Right, for when the switch is open. The "fraction" would be 1/2 if the bulbs are identical.

How about when the switch is closed? Let's put some labels on various points of the circuit when the switch is closed:

upload_2017-4-18_21-23-28.png

Can you identify groups of labels that share the same potential? (Let's say the potentials are with respect to the location labeled "e").

gneill said:
Right, for when the switch is open. The "fraction" would be 1/2 if the bulbs are identical.

How about when the switch is closed? Let's put some labels on various points of the circuit when the switch is closed:

View attachment 195660

Can you identify groups of labels that share the same potential? (Let's say the potentials are with respect to the location labeled "e").

Would e, c, d and f have the same potential? And then a and b would also have the same potential?

alexdr5398 said:
Would e, c, d and f have the same potential? And then a and b would also have the same potential?
Yes, that's correct.

So now can you compare the potential differences that appear across the bulbs A and B?

gneill said:
Yes, that's correct.

So now can you compare the potential differences that appear across the bulbs A and B?

If lightbulbs A and B have the same resistance, wouldn't the potential across ac be equal to the potential across bd?

alexdr5398 said:
If lightbulbs A and B have the same resistance, wouldn't the potential across ac be equal to the potential across bd?
Yes, but not just because they have the same resistance. You've already ascertained that the potential at a and b is the same, as is the potential at c and d. So regardless of the resistance of the bulbs the potential differences across them must be the same. This is true of any components connected in parallel -- they share the same potential difference if they share the same connection points.

gneill said:
Yes, but not just because they have the same resistance. You've already ascertained that the potential at a and b is the same, as is the potential at c and d. So regardless of the resistance of the bulbs the potential differences across them must be the same. This is true of any components connected in parallel -- they share the same potential difference if they share the same connection points.

Hey, sorry I haven't answered in a while.

So the potential from a to f will be the same as the potential from b to f, right? So if this is the case then why does bulb B shine brighter than bulb A if both paths have the same potential shared between two bulbs?

alexdr5398 said:
So the potential from a to f will be the same as the potential from b to f, right? So if this is the case then why does bulb B shine brighter than bulb A if both paths have the same potential shared between two bulbs?
Where does it say that bulb B will shine brighter than bulb A?

gneill said:
Where does it say that bulb B will shine brighter than bulb A?

Oh I guess I assumed they both shined at the same level initially.

alexdr5398 said:
Oh I guess I assumed they both shined at the same level initially.
And what are your thoughts on that now?

gneill said:
And what are your thoughts on that now?

I don't really know how to talk about it in terms of electric potential, but when the switch is closed, some of the current that was going through path ae now goes through path af instead. So now bulb B gets a greater share of the current going through bf, so it shines brighter.

Is this correct?

Actually, the current flowing through bulb A (path ae) remains the same in both cases. The potential difference is the same in each case: it is the potential difference supplied by the battery since it connects to nodes a and e.

It is the current through bulb B that changes when the switch closes. When the switch is open the path from b to e involves two bulbs in series (the path is bdfe). Two bulbs in series presents more resistance to current flow than one, so the current through that path is less than the current though the bulb A path. When the switch is closed, both paths have just a single bulb across the battery.

upload_2017-4-22_12-39-30.png

Likes alexdr5398
gneill said:
Actually, the current flowing through bulb A (path ae) remains the same in both cases. The potential difference is the same in each case: it is the potential difference supplied by the battery since it connects to nodes a and e.

It is the current through bulb B that changes when the switch closes. When the switch is open the path from b to e involves two bulbs in series (the path is bdfe). Two bulbs in series presents more resistance to current flow than one, so the current through that path is less than the current though the bulb A path. When the switch is closed, both paths have just a single bulb across the battery.

View attachment 196257

Ah okay, I understand now.

So, since path bdce has a lower potential, there will no current going through the third bulb?

alexdr5398 said:
Ah okay, I understand now.

So, since path bdce has a lower potential, there will no current going through the third bulb?
Locations have potential. Potential differences drive currents. As you noted previously, when the switch is closed locations c,d,e, and f all have the same potential. So locations d and f have zero potential difference, so there's no potential difference to drive current through the third bulb.

gneill said:
Locations have potential. Potential differences drive currents. As you noted previously, when the switch is closed locations c,d,e, and f all have the same potential. So locations d and f have zero potential difference, so there's no potential difference to drive current through the third bulb.

Okay, thank you.

1. Why does the bulb get brighter after the switch is closed?

When the switch is closed, the circuit is completed and electricity is able to flow through the wires to the bulb. This increase in electricity causes the filament in the bulb to heat up and emit more light, making it appear brighter.

2. Is the bulb actually getting brighter or is it just an illusion?

The bulb is actually getting brighter. When the switch is closed, more electricity is flowing through the bulb, causing the filament to heat up and produce more light. This increase in light is not an illusion, but a result of increased electrical energy.

3. Does the type of bulb affect how quickly it gets brighter?

Yes, the type of bulb does affect how quickly it gets brighter. Incandescent bulbs, which have a filament, usually reach full brightness within a fraction of a second. LED bulbs, on the other hand, may take a few seconds to reach full brightness.

4. Why does the bulb get brighter instead of dimmer?

The bulb gets brighter because the switch being closed allows more electricity to flow through the circuit, causing the filament to heat up and emit more light. If the switch was opened, the circuit would be broken and the bulb would not receive any electricity, causing it to become dimmer and eventually turn off.

5. Can the bulb get too bright and burn out?

Yes, the bulb can get too bright and burn out. If the flow of electricity becomes too high, it can cause the filament to overheat and burn out. This is why it is important to use the correct wattage for bulbs in fixtures and to not exceed the recommended wattage for the circuit.