Why does this infinite series diverge?

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI must be missing a rule with the -1 sign.My logic is that for all n, the numerator = 1 since anything to the power of 2 is even and adding the 2 doesn't change the sign either. So if the numerator is always 1 and the denominator grows without bound so by the alternating series test since, L = 0 and the series is decreasing, the series should converge... My math book and maple says different though :(S=Ʃ(-1)2k+2/(k+1)Try a simpler case of the above. Try the other tests. Maybe the integral test esp. something looking like a log fn differentiated.
kmacinto

Homework Statement

Why does this series diverge?

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum_{n}^{\infty }\frac{-1^{(2n+2)}}{n+1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I must be missing a rule with the -1 sign.

My logic is that for all n, the numerator = 1 since anything to the power of 2 is even and adding the 2 doesn't change the sign either. So if the numerator is always 1 and the denominator grows without bound so by the alternating series test since, L = 0 and the series is decreasing, the series should converge... My math book and maple says different though :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kmacinto said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

My logic is that for all n, the numerator = 1 since anything to the power of 2 is even and adding the 2 doesn't change the sign either. So if the numerator is always 1 and the denominator grows without bound so by the alternating series test since, L = 0 and the series is decreasing, the series should converge... My math book and maple says different though :(
As you pointed out, it's not an alternating series.

For clarity, put parentheses around the -1. _ _ _ _ (-1)

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n}^{\infty }\frac{(-1)^{(2n+2)}}{n+1}[/itex]

kmacinto said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

S=Ʃ(-1)2k+2/(k+1)
Try a simpler case of the above. Try the other tests. Maybe the integral test esp. something looking like a log fn differentiated.

Last edited:
I think I have it... If the numerator is positive for all n, I can just use the direct comparison test with B sub N = 1/n which is a divergent p-series and since B sub N is less than A sub N, A sub N also diverges... right?

That sounds good to me !

Related to Why does this infinite series diverge?

1. Why do some infinite series diverge?

Some infinite series diverge because they do not have a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. This means that the series does not converge to a specific value, making it diverge.

2. What causes an infinite series to diverge?

An infinite series can diverge for several reasons, including the terms not approaching zero, the terms alternating in sign without approaching zero, or the terms increasing or decreasing too quickly.

3. Can an infinite series diverge even if the terms get smaller?

Yes, an infinite series can still diverge even if the terms get smaller. This is because the terms may not approach zero quickly enough to result in a finite limit.

4. How can I determine if an infinite series will diverge?

To determine if an infinite series will diverge, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or root test. These tests can help determine if the series will converge or diverge based on the properties of the terms.

5. Why is it important to understand why an infinite series diverges?

Understanding why an infinite series diverges is important for various reasons, including being able to accurately analyze and interpret data, being able to make informed decisions in mathematical and scientific fields, and being able to apply appropriate methods and techniques to solve problems involving infinite series.