Why Does This Limit Calculation Fail?

In summary: Also, your last statement is incorrect, \displaystyle\lim_{x\to-1}\left(x^2-2x+1\right)=0, not 3. And even more, \displaystyle\lim_{x\to-1}\left(x^2-2x+1\right)\neq\left(x^2-2x+1\right)|_{x=-1}=0, as the first is a limit and the second is a value. You are given that the limit is equal to a value, but you are calculating the wrong value.[EDIT] Just to clarify, I got ninja'd by both of you. The above is not directed at anyone,
DDarthVader

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm having difficulty to find this limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I'm trying to do to solve this limit: Let [tex]\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}=u[/tex] then
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{u}) = \lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{-1})[/tex]
I know something is wrong I'm just not sure about what is actually wrong. I'm thinking that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{u})[/tex] Is wrong because that -1!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All you have done is "hide" the problem in that "u".

I would think that your first step would be to write
[tex]\frac{x^3+ 1}{x+ 1}= \frac{(x+1)(x^2- x+ 1)}{x+1}= x^2- x+ 1[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
DDarthVader said:

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm having difficulty to find this limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I'm trying to do to solve this limit: Let [tex]\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}=u[/tex] then
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{u}) = \lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{-1})[/tex]
How did you come up with the above result?
I know something is wrong I'm just not sure about what is actually wrong. I'm thinking that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{u})[/tex] Is wrong because that -1!

Thanks!
Factor x3 + 1 .

Now I can see it!
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}f(x)=3[/tex] then [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 3}\sqrt[3]{u} =\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex] and that means [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}(\sqrt[3]{\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}})=\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex]
Right?

It's asking what the limit is when x approaches -1 not everything inside the radical. Simplify and cancel first then take the limit. Try factoring the denominator.

edit: ^ you are making this way harder than it really is. Forget the limit, use algebra to simplify the expression then plug in -1 like you would in an function and see what you get.

2nd edit: never mind, you got it

HallsofIvy said:
All you have done is "hide" the problem in that "u".

I would think that your first step would be to write
[tex]\frac{x^3+ 1}{x+ 1}= \frac{(x+1)(x^2- x+ 1)}{x+1}= x^2- 2x+ 1[/tex]
The last expression should be x2 - x + 1.

Thanks! I'm too use to thinking of perfect squares!

So you have the fraction [tex]\frac{x^3+1}{x+1}[/tex] and if you plug x=-1 into this, you get the indeterminate form 0/0. Remember that if you plug a value of x=a into a polynomial and it equates to zero, then it means that you have a root at x=a, and thus you can factor out (x-a) from the polynomial.

This was the first step you needed to realize. Since plugging x=-1 into the numerator and denominator equates both of them to zero, then (x-(-1))=(x+1) is a factor of both the numerator and denominator (but in the denominator it's obvious) so you would then need to figure out how to factor x+1 out of the numerator.

I'd like to say something real quickly. [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to-1}\left(\sqrt[3]{u}\right)\neq\lim_{u\to-1}\left(\sqrt[3]{u}\right)[/itex]. By the same arguments, you could show that [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0}\left(1\right)[/itex], and, by letting [itex]u=1[/itex], [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to0}\left(u\right)=0[/itex], which is obviously not true.

Related to Why Does This Limit Calculation Fail?

1. What is a limit and why is it important?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that defines the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It helps us understand the behavior of functions and their graphs, and is crucial in solving real-world problems involving continuous change.

2. Why is it difficult to find limits?

Finding a limit can be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, such as continuity and differentiability, as well as a variety of techniques and strategies. Additionally, some functions can have complex or non-intuitive behavior near a limit, making it difficult to determine its value.

3. What are some common techniques for finding limits?

Some common techniques for finding limits include algebraic manipulation, substitution, factoring, and using special limits such as L'Hospital's rule. Graphical analysis and numerical approximation methods can also be helpful in finding limits.

4. How do limits relate to derivatives and integrals?

Limits are closely related to derivatives and integrals, as they are the basis for these fundamental concepts in calculus. Derivatives are defined as the limit of the slope of a function at a specific point, while integrals are defined as the limit of a sum of infinitely small rectangles under a curve.

5. Can limits be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, limits have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena and make predictions about their behavior. For example, limits are used in physics to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects, and in economics to determine marginal cost and revenue.