Why does Von Gierke's disease give hypertriglyceridemia?

• Medical
  • Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary: The whole idea is that when insulin levels are low, there is an increase in free fatty acids which will cause an increase in triglycerides.In summary, Hypertriglyceridemia resulting from amplified triglyceride production is another indirect effect of impaired gluconeogenesis, amplified by chronically low insulin levels.
sameeralord
Hello guys,

This is what wiki says,

Hypertriglyceridemia resulting from amplified triglyceride production is another indirect effect of impaired gluconeogenesis, amplified by chronically low insulin levels. During fasting, the normal conversion of triglycerides to free fatty acids, ketones, and ultimately glucose is impaired. Triglyceride levels in GSD I can reach several times normal and serve as a clinical index of "metabolic control".

Now why do they say it is amplified by chronically low insulin levels. Hormone sensitive lipase which breaks down Triglycerides is inhibited by insulin. Lipoprotein lipase which breaks down Triglycerides is activated by insulin. Since insulin level is low in this case, how does low insulin levels increase TG level, it should decrease it right.

The only way I could see TG increasing is excess Acetyl CoA turned TG. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
Why are you using wikipedia?? The quote says
During fasting, the normal conversion of triglycerides to free fatty acids, ketones, and ultimately glucose is impaired.
What? This is not correct in two ways: 1) during fasting you get an increased conversion of fatty acides into ketones, 2) ketones are not converted into glucose.

To answer your question, insulin inhibits the lipase that hydrolyzes triglycerides and thus inhibits release of fatty acids. In low insulin conditions you would have increased breakdown of fat and thus more free fatty acids.

Monique said:
Why are you using wikipedia?? The quote says What? This is not correct in two ways: 1) during fasting you get an increased conversion of fatty acides into ketones, 2) ketones are not converted into glucose.

To answer your question, insulin inhibits the lipase that hydrolyzes triglycerides and thus inhibits release of fatty acids. In low insulin conditions you would have increased breakdown of fat and thus more free fatty acids.

Hey thanks a lot for the help Monique :smile: Yes you are correct, however I'm still little bit confused with your last point. If there are more free fatty acid why do the call it hypertriglyceridemia, I mean if there is increased fat breakdown TG concentration must go down.

You are right, this is what's found on PubMed:
PMID: 20357432 said:
Hypoketotic hypoglycaemia and hypertriglyceridaemia are biochemical hallmarks of glycogen storage disease (GSD) 1. Increased malonyl coenzyme A production which compromises oxidation of long-chain fatty acids via carnitine palmitoyltransferase (CPT) 1 inhibition plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of these complications.
There may be other reasons why there are increased levels of triglycerides, I'm sure there is a review paper on PubMed that will give an exact explanation :smile:

I think what was being implied by hypoinsulinemia causing the hypertriglyceridemia was, as originally suggested, insulin's effect on lipoprotein lipase. Lipoprotein lipase is required for the breakdown of triglycerides from VLDL in order to remove those triglycerides from the blood into the adipose tissue. Lipoprotein lipase is stimulated by insulin, so therefore in low insulin states triglycerides are not being cleared from the blood resulting in hypertriglyceridemia. This at least makes sense to me - I'm happy to be corrected though.

Also there is an element of glucose production from triglyceride breakdown and this achieved by converting the freed glycerol into DHAP and from there into glucose. Apparently it is quite a significant portion of the glucose production in a fasting state. I think the wikipedia quote was poorly worded.

Related to Why does Von Gierke's disease give hypertriglyceridemia?

1. What is Von Gierke's disease?

Von Gierke's disease, also known as glycogen storage disease type I (GSDI), is a genetic disorder that affects the body's ability to break down and store glycogen, a form of sugar that serves as a major source of energy. This leads to an accumulation of glycogen in the liver and kidneys, causing a range of symptoms including hypertriglyceridemia.

2. What causes Von Gierke's disease?

Von Gierke's disease is caused by mutations in the G6PC gene, which provides instructions for producing an enzyme called glucose-6-phosphatase. This enzyme is responsible for breaking down glycogen into glucose, which can then be used for energy. Mutations in this gene result in a deficiency of glucose-6-phosphatase, leading to the buildup of glycogen in the body.

3. Why does Von Gierke's disease result in hypertriglyceridemia?

Due to the lack of glucose-6-phosphatase, individuals with Von Gierke's disease are not able to convert glycogen into glucose. This results in a constant state of low blood sugar, leading the body to produce more triglycerides in an attempt to compensate for the lack of energy. As a result, individuals with Von Gierke's disease often have high levels of triglycerides in their blood, known as hypertriglyceridemia.

4. What are the symptoms of hypertriglyceridemia in Von Gierke's disease?

Aside from high levels of triglycerides in the blood, individuals with Von Gierke's disease may also experience symptoms such as enlarged liver and kidneys, low blood sugar, delayed growth and development, and an increased risk of developing kidney stones. They may also experience other symptoms related to the disease, such as hypoglycemia and lactic acidosis.

5. Is there a treatment for hypertriglyceridemia in Von Gierke's disease?

While there is currently no cure for Von Gierke's disease, there are treatments available to manage the symptoms and complications associated with the disease. This may include a special diet that is low in carbohydrates and high in protein and fat, as well as medications to help control blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of complications such as hypertriglyceridemia. Regular monitoring and management of the disease is crucial for maintaining overall health and preventing potential complications.