Why don't all lights turn off when connected in parallel

In summary, when the filament of one light bulb in a parallel circuit breaks, the other bulbs continue to light because they are not dependent on one another for power. This is due to the fact that in a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across all components. The exception to this is in strings of lights, where they are connected in series and the voltage is reduced for safety reasons.
prishila

Homework Statement

When the filament of a light is broken why do others continue to light?

Homework Equations

Parallel: U=U1=U2=U3
I=I1+I2+I3+...

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it because there are some nodes? How can you explain this simply?

Physics news on Phys.org
prishila said:
Parallel: U=U1=U2=U3

So what happens (for example) to U2 and I2 if Bulb 1 or 3 fails?

U2 doesn't change and I2 ... I don't know, it becomes greater?

Consider three bulbs in parallel and U1=U2=U3. If bulb 1 fails, how will it affect U2 and U3?

cnh1995 said:
Consider three bulbs in parallel and U1=U2=U3. If bulb 1 fails, how will it affect U2 and U3?
U2 will continue being equal to U3 and won't change.

prishila said:
U2 will continue being equal to U3 and won't change.
Right. Hence, the remaining bulbs continue to light.

Likes prishila
prishila said:
How can you explain this simply?

The lights are connected in parallel, so power doesn't need to go through one bulb in order to get to the others. It's like ties on a railroad track - you can remove one tie, and the others still touch both sides of the track.

The exception to this is strings of lights for a christmas tree. These are too small to individually accept 120/240 volts, and so are usually connected in series to reduce voltage.

prishila said:
U2 doesn't change and I2 ... I don't know, it becomes greater?

The voltage on bulb 2 is the same but the current doesn't increase.

Remember Ohms law says V=IR so

I=V/R

The voltage stays the same, what about the resistance?

1. Why don't all lights turn off when connected in parallel?

When lights are connected in parallel, each light has its own individual path to the power source. This means that even if one light is turned off, the other lights will continue to receive electricity and remain lit.

2. How does the concept of parallel circuits explain why not all lights turn off?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided between each branch, so when one light is turned off, the current is still able to flow through the other branches and keep the remaining lights on.

3. Can adding more lights in a parallel circuit make them all turn off when one is switched off?

No, adding more lights in a parallel circuit will not make them all turn off when one is switched off. As mentioned earlier, each light has its own individual path, so turning off one light will not affect the others.

4. Is there a way to make all lights turn off when connected in parallel?

Yes, you can add a switch to each individual branch in the parallel circuit. This way, when one switch is turned off, it will break the circuit and turn off all the lights connected to that branch.

5. Why do we use parallel circuits instead of series circuits for connecting multiple lights?

Parallel circuits are often used for connecting multiple lights because they are more efficient. In a series circuit, if one light burns out, the entire circuit will be broken and all the lights will turn off. In a parallel circuit, if one light burns out, the other lights will remain lit.