Why don't motorcycle clutches need torsional damper springs?

In summary, motorcycles with wet multiplate clutches typically do not have torsional springs to dampen engine vibration. Some motorcycle engines, such as those in Harley-Davidson motorcycles, have vibration dampers on the sprocket shaft. However, car engines are connected more directly to the transmission, making it difficult to mount a vibration damper between the engine and clutch. Automatic transmissions, with their torque converters, also do not transfer engine vibration to the transmission.
k.udhay
I was reading the difference in construction between a car clutch (dry, single plate) and a motorcycle clutch (wet, multiplate). I understand wet multiplate clutches do not have torsional springs in them.

1. How is the Engine vibration damped then?
  2. Can we not use this same arrangement in a car?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In answer to question 1: Some motorcycle engines are well-balanced, so they vibrate very little. Others, such as those in Harley-Davidson motorcycles, are inherently unbalanced, due to their 60° V-Twin engine design. Many of these have vibration dampers on the sprocket shaft of the engine, the shaft that drives the primary chain. Some of the older H-D engines were directly mounted to the frame, so engine vibration was transmitted to the rider. Starting in about the 80's engines and transmissions were rubber mounted, so riders didn't feel the vibration as much.
I'm not familiar with what other motorcycle manufacturers do.
For question 2, car engines are connected more directly to the transmission, rather than use a primary chain. For a standard transmission, the clutch with its pressure plate is attached directly to the flywheel, so it wouldn't be feasible to mount a vibration damper between the engine and clutch. For automatic transmissions, the torque converter isn't a direct connection between the engine and transmission, so engine vibration isn't tranferred to the transmission.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda and k.udhay
Thanks, Mark. I just now found a drawing of a clutch pack of another motorcycle. And like you said, this had its damper springs on the basket as against that of dampers in the the clutch plate type in cars.

And yeah, torque converter point is one thing I forgot when I was thinking about DCT clutches.

1. Why don't motorcycle clutches need torsional damper springs?

Motorcycle clutches do not need torsional damper springs because they are designed to operate at high speeds and do not experience as much torsional vibration as other types of engines. Additionally, motorcycle engines have a smaller displacement and fewer cylinders, which results in less torsional vibration.

2. What is the purpose of torsional damper springs in a clutch?

Torsional damper springs are used in clutches to absorb and dampen the torsional vibrations that occur in the engine. These vibrations can damage the engine and cause a loss of power, so the torsional damper springs help to reduce these effects.

3. Do all types of engines require torsional damper springs in their clutches?

No, not all engines need torsional damper springs in their clutches. Engines that operate at high speeds and have a smaller displacement, such as motorcycle engines, do not require these springs as they experience less torsional vibration. However, larger engines with more cylinders may benefit from the use of torsional damper springs.

4. Are there any drawbacks to not having torsional damper springs in a motorcycle clutch?

The main drawback of not having torsional damper springs in a motorcycle clutch is that the engine may experience more torsional vibration, which can lead to damage and a loss of power. However, this is not a significant issue for motorcycle engines as they are designed to operate without these springs.

5. Can torsional damper springs be added to a motorcycle clutch?

In most cases, it is not necessary or recommended to add torsional damper springs to a motorcycle clutch. The clutch is designed to operate without these springs, and adding them may not provide any significant benefits. Additionally, it may alter the performance and feel of the clutch, which could be undesirable for riders.