Why don't units have match for specific heat and mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of specific heat and how it relates to the units of mass and temperature. It is mentioned that when solving problems involving temperature change, no explicit conversion between Celsius and Kelvin is needed because they have the same scale. However, there seems to be a mistake in the answer given in the textbook, which leads to confusion and frustration for the person asking the question. It is also mentioned that the mistake may lie in the question itself. The conversation ends with a question about whether the fact that the substance is in a rigid container would make a difference in the answer to the problem.
Perseverence

Homework Statement

A problem will ask for an amount of substance in kilograms to be raised to a certain temperature and the specific heat be given in J/g*K. The amount of substance is not required to be converted to grams to match the units in the specific heat to get the correct amount of joules needed. Is that correct? Why is that? It doesn't make sense to me.

Homework Equations

Q=mc(delta)T

The Attempt at a Solution

The units of mass for m and for c don't have to match. This doesn't make sense to me.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure I've also seen this was units of temperature not matching the units in the specific heat maybe in kelvin and the amount of temperature change will be in Celsius, yet nothing has to be converted to get the temperature units to match and to get the right answer

specifically 0.2 kg of hydrogen is heated from 250 K to 280 K with specific heat of hydrogen gas being 14.3 J/g *K.

86 joules is the amount of heat needed to change the temperature the amount requested. This would only occur with mass of hydrogen and specific heat of hydrogen being in different units of mass

Perseverence said:
I'm pretty sure I've also seen this was units of temperature not matching the units in the specific heat maybe in kelvin and the amount of temperature change will be in Celsius, yet nothing has to be converted to get the temperature units to match and to get the right answer
When a problem involves a change of temperature, no explicit conversion °C↔K is needed because a change of 1°C is the same as a change of 1 K. Their scales on any thermometer are the same, the scales only differ in which mark they call zero.

Likes itfitzme
Okay that makes sense for temperature. Why doesn't Mass have to be converted to match?

Perseverence said:
specifically 0.2 kg of hydrogen is heated from 250 K to 280 K with specific heat of hydrogen gas being 14.3 J/g *K.

86 joules is the amount of heat needed to change the temperature the amount requested. This would only occur with mass of hydrogen and specific heat of hydrogen being in different units of mass
You wish to raise 200g by 30 degrees, each gram requiring 14.3 J per degree. Are you missing some powers of 10 in your answer?

NascentOxygen said:
You wish to raise 200g by 30 degrees, each gram requiring 14.3 J per degree. Are you missing some powers of 10 in your answer?
Is 86 joules not the correct answer? That is the answer that is given by the book

Please let me know if the answer in the book is incorrect. That would explain a lot to me. It's very frustrating because I've seen this error more than once and it's affected the way I've learned how to solve this kind of problem, but I'm happy to relearn it the correct way if the book is indeed wrong

Perseverence said:
Is 86 joules not the correct answer? That is the answer that is given by the book
Either the question or the answer is wrong. What do you think the answer should be?

I think the answer should be 85800 J

Perseverence said:
A problem will ask for an amount of substance in kilograms to be raised to a certain temperature and the specific heat be given in J/g*K. The amount of substance is not required to be converted to grams to match the units in the specific heat to get the correct amount of joules needed. Is that correct?
No, it's not correct. You can experiment with this using a pencil and a piece of paper. ☺

If specific heat is given as, say, 23.6 J/g°C
what value would it be when expressed as kJ/kg°C?

This is an image of the solution in the book

Attachments

• 20180214_014402.jpg
    20180214_014402.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 356
Perseverence said:
This is an image of the solution in the book
It seems that the typist omitted the k in the answer. An easy mistake to make.

Okay. Thank you for confirming that it's a mistake. It's actually amuch bigger mistakes and then just a missing k. The original question was multiple choice with the possible answers being 46 joules 72 tools 56 joules 35 joules in 86 joules.

Thank you so much for helping! You saved me hours of misery . Textbook mistakes when you are self teaching are absolutely devastating.

Likes itfitzme
One key fact I may have left out that may make a difference. The question mentions that .2 kg of hydrogen gas is in a rigid container. Would that make any difference in the answer?

Perseverence said:
Okay. Thank you for confirming that it's a mistake. It's actually amuch bigger mistakes and then just a missing k. The original question was multiple choice with the possible answers being 46 joules 72 tools 56 joules 35 joules in 86 joules.
It's more likely the oversight is in the question and not in each of the 4 answer options. ☺ The answer of 86 J would be correct had the question involved 0.2 grams, not 0.2 kg.

Perseverence said:
hydrogen gas is in a rigid container. Would that make any difference in the answer?
If the container is allowed to expand as the contents are heated the problem becomes more complicated.

Thank you. Your answers makes so much sense. So my answer was correct if I solve the problem the way it is written. 85800 J is the correct answer. I just want to confirm, because you had mentioned that it was the wrong answer before.

Perseverence said:
85800 J is the correct answer.
That's correct.

Wonderful! Thank you for the confirmation!:partytime:

Likes NascentOxygen
In case it's not obvious by now... The units _do_ matter. It's also common for the question to ask for an answer in Kg and for the constant to be given in other units eg grams.

1. Why do units for specific heat and mass not match?

The units for specific heat and mass do not match because they measure different properties. Specific heat measures the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree, while mass measures the amount of matter in a substance. Therefore, they have different units of measurement.

2. Can specific heat and mass be converted to have matching units?

No, specific heat and mass cannot be converted to have matching units because they measure different properties and have different units of measurement. However, they are related through the specific heat capacity, which is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass by one degree.

3. How are specific heat and mass related?

Specific heat and mass are related through the specific heat capacity, which is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass by one degree. This means that substances with a higher specific heat capacity will require more energy to raise their temperature compared to substances with a lower specific heat capacity.

4. Why are specific heat and mass important in science?

Specific heat and mass are important in science because they help us understand how different substances behave when heated or cooled. They also play a role in many practical applications, such as cooking, engineering, and climate science.

5. Are there any exceptions where specific heat and mass have matching units?

No, there are no exceptions where specific heat and mass have matching units. However, in the SI system of units, both specific heat and mass are measured in kilograms, which may lead to confusion. It is important to remember that they are still measuring different properties and have different units of measurement.