Why dU may not equals dW in free expansion?

In summary: Sorry for any confusion. Your understanding of thermodynamics seems quite solid. Keep up the good work!
kelvin490
Gold Member
From a video lecture, it is mentioned that "dU≠dW in Joule's free expansion if the process is irreversible and adiabatic"
Mentioned in around 36:00-38:00 in the video:

What I would like to ask is why in this irreversible adiabatic process, dU≠dW? Is it because the W here doesn't include other sort of work?

Physics news on Phys.org
dU can't be equal to dW if it is irreversible. First and Second rule of thermodynamics which are dU=dQ+dW and dQrev=Tds are for reversible processes. dWir<-PdV and dQir<TdS. However if we combine first and second laws we substitute dU=TdS-PdV which is for reversible and irreversible processes both. Because (U,S,V,T and P) all state variables and the change of those variables not dependent on the way of change. That's why it's not important reversible or irreversible.

The reason you are so confused about what this guy is saying is because it is basically incorrect. What he is trying to demonstrate is that dU represents the change in internal energy between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states. However, the example he has chosen involves two widely separated thermodynamic equilibrium states. Worse yet, he seems to be using dU and ΔU interchangeably, even though they are not and even though nowhere does he mention ΔU.

You were obviously correct in concluding that, for the irreversible adiabatic free expansion he described, ΔU=0. Of course, there are many reversible paths between these two widely separated equilibrium states. If you determined dU along the segments of any of these paths, the dU for each segment might not be zero, but the integral of dU over each and every entire path would have to be zero.

He is also trying to show that the changes in U, S, and V between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states of a system are not independent, but are related to one another by the equation dU = TdS-pdV

Hope this helps.

Chet

Likes kelvin490
Thermo said:
dU can't be equal to dW if it is irreversible. First and Second rule of thermodynamics which are dU=dQ+dW and dQrev=Tds are for reversible processes. dWir<-PdV and dQir<TdS. However if we combine first and second laws we substitute dU=TdS-PdV which is for reversible and irreversible processes both. Because (U,S,V,T and P) all state variables and the change of those variables not dependent on the way of change. That's why it's not important reversible or irreversible.

Chestermiller said:
The reason you are so confused about what this guy is saying is because it is basically incorrect. What he is trying to demonstrate is that dU represents the change in internal energy between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states. However, the example he has chosen involves two widely separated thermodynamic equilibrium states. Worse yet, he seems to be using dU and ΔU interchangeably, even though they are not and even though nowhere does he mention ΔU.

You were obviously correct in concluding that, for the irreversible adiabatic free expansion he described, ΔU=0. Of course, there are many reversible paths between these two widely separated equilibrium states. If you determined dU along the segments of any of these paths, the dU for each segment might not be zero, but the integral of dU over each and every entire path would have to be zero.

He is also trying to show that the changes in U, S, and V between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states of a system are not independent, but are related to one another by the equation dU = TdS-pdV

Hope this helps.

Chet

Actually I tend to agree with Chestermiller but still wonder whether the reversibility will affect dU in the way Thermo has mentioned. Let's imagine the adiabatic expansion is not free but the pressure decrease very slowly and the gas actually do some work, the dU certainly is not zero.

So I think what the guy in the video was trying to do is to compare the dU in reversible and irreversible processes, but he got the wrong conclusion. Because the final state that the system achieve by a reversible path is different from that by a irreversible path. One cannot say because dU is not zero in a reversible path then it is also not zero if the gas expand freely. First law of thermodynamics must be obey so if dQ and dW are zero then dU must be zero.

kelvin490 said:
Actually I tend to agree with Chestermiller but still wonder whether the reversibility will affect dU in the way Thermo has mentioned. Let's imagine the adiabatic expansion is not free but the pressure decrease very slowly and the gas actually do some work, the dU certainly is not zero.

So I think what the guy in the video was trying to do is to compare the dU in reversible and irreversible processes, but he got the wrong conclusion. Because the final state that the system achieve by a reversible path is different from that by a irreversible path. One cannot say because dU is not zero in a reversible path then it is also not zero if the gas expand freely. First law of thermodynamics must be obey so if dQ and dW are zero then dU must be zero.
I totally agree.

Here is a link to my recent article in Physics Forums Insight that may be of interest to you:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/understanding-entropy-2nd-law-thermodynamics/

Chet

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-5_6-54-13.png
    upload_2015-6-5_6-54-13.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 607
Likes kelvin490 and Thermo
"The guy" is me or the one on the video? I didn't understand who you mentioned Professor. I just shared what I know about Thermodynamics basically maybe I was wrong. I will read your article for better understanding. Thanks for sharing.

Thermo said:
"The guy" is me or the one on the video? I didn't understand who you mentioned Professor. I just shared what I know about Thermodynamics basically maybe I was wrong. I will read your article for better understanding. Thanks for sharing.
I was referring to the guy in the video.

Likes Thermo

1. Why does dU not equal dW in free expansion?

In thermodynamics, dU (change in internal energy) and dW (work done) are often assumed to be equal. However, in the case of free expansion, where a gas expands into a vacuum, dU does not equal dW. This is because there is no external pressure or volume change, and therefore no work is done on or by the system.

2. What is the relationship between dU and dW in free expansion?

In free expansion, dU and dW are not directly related. dU represents the change in internal energy of the system, while dW represents the work done on or by the system. In this case, there is no work being done, so dW is equal to zero. This means that dU does not equal dW in free expansion.

3. How does the first law of thermodynamics explain dU not equaling dW in free expansion?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In free expansion, the internal energy of the gas remains the same, as no heat is added or removed. However, the system does work by expanding against the vacuum, so the first law still holds true, but dU does not equal dW in this case.

4. Can dU ever equal dW in free expansion?

No, dU and dW cannot be equal in free expansion. This is because dU represents the change in internal energy of the system, while dW represents the work done on or by the system. In free expansion, no work is done, so dW is equal to zero. Therefore, dU and dW can never be equal in this scenario.

5. How does free expansion affect the entropy of a system?

In free expansion, the entropy of the system remains constant. This is because the change in entropy is directly related to the amount of heat added or removed from the system, and in free expansion, no heat is transferred. Therefore, the entropy of the system does not change, even though dU does not equal dW.