Why is the internal energy change of free expansion 0?

In summary, we discussed free expansion and its properties in which w=0 and q=0 due to the adiabatic walls of the container. This leads to ΔU=0, showing that the final state of the system can be determined without knowing the details of what happens in between the initial and final states. We also explored different scenarios involving a partition or a piston, and how the first law of thermodynamics can help us understand the final state of the system. However, in the case of a stopcock between two chambers that cannot equilibrate thermally, the situation may be different.
sgstudent
ΔU=q-w and in a free expansion w=0 and Free expansion is an irreversible process in which a gas expands into an insulated evacuated chamber. Does this mean that free expansion is an isolated system? Meaning the walls of the container are adiabatic in which no heat can enter the system and so q=0 and therefore ΔU=0?

Would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
ΔU=mcvΔT
w=0 when the work is zero. (constant valume)

q=0 (constant pressure)

Thyphon said:
ΔU=mcvΔT
w=0 when the work is zero. (constant valume)

q=0 (constant pressure)
What does this mean? I thought the volume changes in a free expansion? and why does q=0 at constant pressure?

W=∫P.dV when V is constant so works is zero.
What is your question exactly?
Do you have P-V or T-S diagrams?

Thyphon said:
W=∫P.dV when V is constant so works is zero.
What is your question exactly?
Do you have P-V or T-S diagrams?
My question is about free expansion. So I don't think delta V is zero but the external pressure is 0 so there is no work done. But I'm not very sure why the q=0.

sgstudent said:
ΔU=q-w and in a free expansion w=0 and Free expansion is an irreversible process in which a gas expands into an insulated evacuated chamber. Does this mean that free expansion is an isolated system? Meaning the walls of the container are adiabatic in which no heat can enter the system and so q=0 and therefore ΔU=0?

Would this be correct?
Can you be more precise about the initial setup?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Can you be more precise about the initial setup?

Chet
Hmm I was never really told what were the conditions of the system actually. I was just told that the gas was expanded into a vacuum. Which meant that w=0 as the external pressure is 0. I guess the setup is like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_expansion#/media/File:Before_during_after_sudden_expansion.jpg where the walls are insulated

So I'm not sure if I was overthinking this. But now I'm thinking that q=0 because the walls are adiabatic and so no heat can be transferred.

sgstudent said:
Hmm I was never really told what were the conditions of the system actually. I was just told that the gas was expanded into a vacuum. Which meant that w=0 as the external pressure is 0. I guess the setup is like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_expansion#/media/File:Before_during_after_sudden_expansion.jpg where the walls are insulated

So I'm not sure if I was overthinking this. But now I'm thinking that q=0 because the walls are adiabatic and so no heat can be transferred.
Based on what you showed, you are correct to say that both q and w are equal to zero.

Suppose you have an adiabatic chamber with a partition, with gas on one side of the partition and vacuum on the other. If you suddenly remove the partition, what is ΔU when the system finally re-equilibrates? If you regard the contents of the chamber as your system, then the contents does no work on its surroundings (the chamber walls), so w = 0.

If you have a mass-less piston in place of the partition and you suddenly release the piston, what is ΔU when the system finally re-equilibrates. Here again, the contents does no work on its surroundings, so w = 0.

If you have a piston with mass in place of the mass-less piston and you suddenly release the piston, what is ΔU when the system finally re-equilibrates. When the system has re-equilibrated, the piston is no longer moving, so here again the contents do no work on its surroundings, so w = 0.

This is an example of the beauty of the first law of thermodynamics. You can sometimes figure out what the final state of the system is without knowing the details of what happens between the initial and final states of the system.

In the case of a stopcock between two chambers, the situation is the same if the chambers can equilibrate thermally. But, if the chambers cannot equilibrate thermally, the situation is different.

Chet

Last edited:

1. Why is the internal energy change of free expansion 0?

The internal energy change of free expansion is 0 because it is an ideal process that occurs without any transfer of heat or work. This means that there is no change in the system's temperature, pressure, or volume, resulting in no change in the internal energy.

2. How does free expansion differ from other processes?

In free expansion, the gas expands into a vacuum, while in other processes, the gas expands against a pressure, such as in isothermal or adiabatic expansions. This difference in external pressure is what causes the internal energy change to be 0 in free expansion.

3. Is free expansion an irreversible process?

Yes, free expansion is considered an irreversible process because it is spontaneous and cannot be reversed without external work. This is due to the fact that the gas expands into an area with lower pressure, and it would require work to compress the gas back to its original state.

4. Can the internal energy change of free expansion ever be non-zero?

No, the internal energy change of free expansion will always be 0 as long as the process occurs under ideal conditions. This is because there is no change in temperature, pressure, or volume, which are the factors that contribute to the internal energy of a system.

5. How is the internal energy change of free expansion related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of free expansion, there is no transfer of energy in or out of the system, resulting in no change in the internal energy, as dictated by the first law.