Why Everyone Thinks I Know Everything?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, women seem to think that because I am a woman, I know everything. Men also seem to think this, but to a lesser extent. When I am in public, people come up to me and ask me questions I don't know the answer to. Sometimes this happens when I am studying, and other times it happens when I am with friends. I have never taken a driving class, so I don't know why someone would ask me that. I do think that women may be drawn to me because I am a woman, and men may be drawn to me because I am a mathematician.
Lisa!
Gold Member
I don't know why everyone(men, women, children) thinks I know everything! :rofl: For sure it happens to all of you that sometimes people ask you about a address or thigs like that. And for sure it's not strange. But the problem is that I even can't study or concentrate for some minutse whenever I'm in public.

I'm sitting somewhere and I'm studying a book or newspaper very carefully and there are lots of other people around me who're sitting alone and doing nothing! Sudenly someone comes to me and says "Excuse me. could you tell me..."! :cry: :cry: :cry: Or I'm sitting or walking with some of my friends but someone straightly comes to me and ask a question. And even I say I have no information about that, they still continue talking... :confused:
Once I went to a class to talk to my friend and for sure I didn't take that course. You know the term had started for 1 or 2 monthes and I've never attended that class. Suddenly one of the students came to me and start asking a question about what the professor'd taught last section! I said I hadn't taken this course yet but she was continuing... :confused:

Somehow it's funny! All my friend always razzing me about that! :rofl:

Any idea about why it happens?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you have a very amiable demeanor.

What about when I'm angry or tired?

Perhaps you surround yourself with people who are always angrier or more tired than you? I don't know. Maybe you should purposely act stupid to confuse them.

Give them all the wrong answers

You must be wearing glasses.

BJ

Pengwuino said:
Give them all the wrong answers
It won't help anyway! :rofl: You know most of time I just say I don't know!But they still continue.... :cry: and most of time another person(1 of my friend for example) interrupt us and answer! :rofl:

Do you wear glasses, Lisa?

hitssquad said:
Do you wear glasses, Lisa?
Just when I'm working with computer. You know I don't wear glasses in public! And you know I have this problem from my childhood. But I'm wearing glasses since I was 18! Anyway the reason couldn't be that at all. Most of people around me wear glasses while I don't!

Lisa! said:
I'm sitting somewhere and I'm studying a book or newspaper very carefully and there are lots of other people around me who're sitting alone and doing nothing! Sudenly someone comes to me and says "Excuse me. could you tell me..."! :cry: :cry: :cry: Or I'm sitting or walking with some of my friends but someone straightly comes to me and ask a question. And even I say I have no information about that, they still continue talking... :confused:
Once I went to a class to talk to my friend and for sure I didn't take that course. You know the term had started for 1 or 2 monthes and I've never attended that class. Suddenly one of the students came to me and start asking a question about what the professor'd taught last section! I said I hadn't taken this course yet but she was continuing... :confused:

I've got it! I've got it. Listen carefully:

No male student come to a girl for asking nothing if she is not a pretty and a beautiful girl. It is impossible a man losing his time talking voluntarily with an ugly girl, unless she is a great friend of him which is not the case you related.

From the last statement we can infer you are a beautiful girl, despites you can need to wear glasses, and despites we have not seen you in a photo because you are maybe too shy.

Right? Of course, I am right. I don't need a confirmation.

Not at all.

Lisa could have a truly exotic nose shape. Zoo-viewing is also a possibility, Clausius2..

What about women, Clausius? why do they want to talk to me?

arildno said:
Lisa could have a truly exotic nose shape. Zoo-viewing is also a possibility, Clausius2..
:rofl: :rofl: Not at all. Because they don't laugh when they're talikng to me. And they always have serious question. Would you talk to a clown when you have a serious problem?

arildno said:

I don't know anyone who comes to an animal to ask it a question, Arildno. You are a man of rare costumes. We do know you talk with your coffee machine in mornings, but talking with a girl which has an animal nose shape is too heavy :rofl: .

Have I mentioned I desire to kill a driving examiner.?

Lisa! said:
What about women, Clausius? why do they want to talk to me?
?

Have you checked they are not lesbians? (3 points in one basket! :rofl: :biggrin: )

I would have thought exactly the same Clausius... This may be the most rationnal explanation. :wink:

Clausius2 said:
Have you checked they are not lesbians? (3 points in one basket! :rofl: :biggrin: )
:bugeye: :bugeye: No, they're not! What about children or old people?

You ca't believe it. Sometimes their questins are ironic! I was walking in street with 1 of my friends. A very nice woman came to me and asked "Where can I find a good makeup store?" :bugeye: . There were lots of girls around who'd worn makeup while I didn't. If she didn't look so nice, I'd think she was razzing me!

Lisa! said:
:bugeye: :bugeye: No, they're not! What about children or old people?

You ca't believe it. Sometimes their questins are ironic! I was walking in street with 1 of my friends. A very nice woman came to me and asked "Where can I find a good makeup store?" :bugeye: . There were lots of girls around who'd worn makeup while I didn't. If she didn't look so nice, I'd think she was razzing me!

Old people has lack of sex, so it is comprehensible. There are lots of children who begin to flirt with women in an early age.

Therefore--> you don't use making up. Therefore--->you don't need it. Therefore---> you are too beautiful that you don't need it. Therefore---> you are too beautiful every people in the street want to interact with you. Therefore---> all students want to ask you or to be near you.

On the other hand, there is another remote possibility. I know many ugly girls who are very charming and kind, it's a typical class of woman. Then everybody looks for them to solve problems, questions and so on. But just when choosing a girl to date, they suddenly forget her.

In which group are you? :tongue: :wink:

Clausius2 said:
Old people has lack of sex, so it is comprehensible. There are lots of children who begin to flirt with women in an early age.

Therefore--> you don't use making up. Therefore--->you don't need it. Therefore---> you are too beautiful that you don't need it. Therefore---> you are too beautiful every people in the street want to interact with you. Therefore---> all students want to ask you or to be near you.
I don't wear makeup because I can't stand an extra layer on my face! :grumpy: :grumpy:

On the other hand, there is another remote possibility. I know many ugly girls who are very charming and kind, it's a typical class of woman. Then everybody looks for them to solve problems, questions and so on. But just when choosing a girl to date, they suddenly forget her.

In which group are you? :tongue: :wink:
People who aske me questions, usually don't know me. I'm not ugly for sure because at least sometimes I miss myself! :blushing: But I don't think I'm so beautiful that evryone wants to interact with me!
1 of my friends told me you walk like philosophers! :rofl:For sure she'd never met a philosopher because I think they walk too slowly but I always walk too fast !And anyway you know nobody asks a philosopher about makeup stores or stuff like that.Maybe I look too friendly, but on the other hand I don't think I look friendly because most of people thinks I'm too prideful when they meet me for the first time!

Lisa!, when will you post your picture in the member photo gallery.

Perhaps you appear both attractive and intelligent (knowledgeable), hence people feel you to be very approachable. :smile:

Whenever I travel, many times strangers ask me for information. I don't know why, but for some reason strangers feel comfortable talking to me.

Actually I reflect upon a situation at the main train station in Luxembourg, when I was 20 years old. An incredibly beautiful young woman walked out of the main entrance and came directly to me (I was sitting on a bench outside). She then proceeded to ask me something (presumably for directions or some information) in French. I was momentarily speechless, but I responded in what little French I knew, that I did not speak French. Nuts! :frown:

The same thing happened in Paris one time, just outside the Lovre on a bridge over the Seine. A beautiful young lady approached me, and asked in French, which way to the Atlantic Ocean. On older colleague translated for her. I pointed the way, and my colleague explained. Again, I was foiled by my inability to speak French. Nuts again! :frown:

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
I don't know why everyone(men, women, children) thinks I know everything! :rofl: For sure it happens to all of you that sometimes people ask you about a address or thigs like that. And for sure it's not strange. But the problem is that I even can't study or concentrate for some minutse whenever I'm in public.

I think it was a dream :wink: when you wake up no one will be pestering you
unless you want them to :devil: :biggrin:

I'd say that you probably look like you'd know the answers. People who look like they know what they're doing gain followers, just as people who look like they have answers gain questioners.

People at school ask me things that have nothing to do with any classes I take at school, but it might just be a reputation for having answers

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Lisa!, when will you post your picture in the member photo gallery.
Perhaps when I'd get my confidence again. You know I lost everthing(=my self-confidence) during the long period of sickness. I was too sure of myself before that but now I've changed alot. For sure my appearance's not changed alot. But I feel bad about myself sometimes. I'm even getting too cynical. I can never believe whatever people say about me especially if they give me a compliment.
Anyway I'm trying to become noramal again. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you appear both attractive and intelligent (knowledgeable), hence people feel you to be very approachable. :smile:
Or perhaps I look strange and interesting!

Whenever I travel, many times strangers ask me for information. I don't know why, but for some reason strangers feel comfortable talking to me.

Actually I reflect upon a situation at the main train station in Luxembourg, when I was 20 years old. An incredibly beautiful young woman walked out of the main entrance and came directly to me (I was sitting on a bench outside). She then proceeded to ask me something (presumably for directions or some information) in French. I was momentarily speechless, but I responded in what little French I knew, that I did not speak French. Nuts! :frown:

The same thing happened in Paris one time, just outside the Lovre on a bridge over the Seine. A beautiful young lady approached me, and asked in French, which way to the Atlantic Ocean. On older colleague translated for her. I pointed the way, and my colleague explained. Again, I was foiled by my inability to speak French. Nuts again! :frown:
Well they were right because you're so wise and kind. I hope some of guys around here included myself learn from you.

Mr. wolram said:
I think it was adream :wink: when you wake up no one will be pestering you unless you want them to :devil: :biggrin:
That's a possibility, Sir.

by LisaPerhaps when I'd get my confidence again. You know I lost everthing(=my self-confidence) during the long period of sickness. I was too sure of myself before that but now I've changed alot. For sure my appearance's not changed alot. But I feel bad about myself sometimes. I'm even getting too cynical. I can never believe whatever people say about me especially if they give me a compliment.
Anyway I'm trying to become noramal again.

You daft beggar, cynical at your age? I am sure if anyone gave you a compliment
" a remote chance", they would mean it, and every one feels bad about them selves at times, just get over it, your not doing to bad you have made some
friends here, as for normal what's that? by the stars were you worse than now? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mr. wolram said:
You daft beggar, cynical at your age? I am sure if anyone gave you a compliment
" a remote chance", they would mean it,
Dear Sir,

That's easy to say. You can't understand me. I don't know why I have troubles to accept whatever they say. Sometimes I think they say sth just to be polite. Sometimes I think they compare me with themselves, so they think I'm clever or beautiful. I can't usually talk to my friends about my problems because they say "I'm sure you'll get over it because you're so clever!" It's difficult to explain. You know I need to know myself because for sure I'm not whom they'd think. Sometimes I want to shut at them and say "be quiet!".
Because somehow I think all myproblems during the last 5 years are because of trusting in what people say about me.Enough of that!

and every one feels bad about them selves at times, just get over it, your not doing to bad you have made some
friends here, as for normal what's that? by the stars were you worse than now? :biggrin: :biggrin:
I think I've made some enemies and of course I've lost some of friends here as well! :biggrin: And ok sir, you mean I'm crazy and I accept it because I really am!

Lisa! said:
Dear Sir,

That's easy to say. You can't understand me. I don't know why I have troubles to accept whatever they say. Sometimes I think they say sth just to be polite. Sometimes I think they compare me with themselves, so they think I'm clever or beautiful. I can't usually talk to my friends about my problems because they say "I'm sure you'll get over it because you're so clever!" It's difficult to explain. You know I need to know myself because for sure I'm not whom they'd think. Sometimes I want to shut at them and say "be quiet!".
Because somehow I think all myproblems during the last 5 years are because of trusting in what people say about me.Enough of that!

I think I've made some enemies and of course I've lost some of friends here as well! :biggrin: And ok sir, you mean I'm crazy and I accept it because I really am!

Ok, i won't say your clever or beautiful, because i don't know you ,but it is just possible you are, when you know yourself will you introduce us?
and i doubt if you have made any enemies, people at pf are just to nice.
Catch 22 wiggle out of that one if you can
:biggrin:

Lisa! said:

May be you are paying the price of being beautiful(it appears the way you have explained!)
By the way i think look on the face also matters,the way you express yourself,i suppose more than beautiful you must be looking approachable,wise and helpful!

Smasherman said:
I'd say that you probably look like you'd know the answers. People who look like they know what they're doing gain followers, just as people who look like they have answers gain questioners.
That's more probable. Although some problem's remained.

People at school ask me things that have nothing to do with any classes I take at school, but it might just be a reputation for having answers
So you have the same problem. :smile:

Lisa! said:
Not at all. Because they don't laugh when they're talikng to me. And they always have serious question. Would you talk to a clown when you have a serious problem?
Hmm, there goes that theory down the drain.. :frown:
But:
Perhaps you look unintimidating rather than that you inspire trust?

I'm not sure if to look unintimidating should be regarded as a compliment..

arildno said:
Hmm, there goes that theory down the drain.. :frown:
But:
Perhaps you look unintimidating rather than that you inspire trust?

I'm not sure if to look unintimidating should be regarded as a compliment..

What about you? Do you look intimidating? :tongue2:

Oh, I just have a perfectly ordinary gorilla shape.

arildno said:
Oh, I just have a perfectly ordinary gorilla shape.
:uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

Lisa!, perhaps you just smile a lot and look approachable rather than scowling and frowning. Or maybe you just have good posture or walk with a quick step; something that simple can give you the appearance of confidence that makes people think you'll know the answers. It could also just be that you tend to be in the center of rooms where people can approach you. If you sit at the desk in the middle of the library, someone might stop by and say hi as they pass, but if you sit at the desk in the corner, it will appear that you wish to be secluded and people will be less likely to disturb you. It's amazing how people trust the answers of others based entirely on appearances rather than accuracy of the responses.

1. Why do people assume that I know everything just because I am a scientist?

People may assume that scientists know everything because they are seen as experts in their field and are expected to have a broad knowledge base. Additionally, the media often portrays scientists as all-knowing individuals, which can contribute to this perception.

2. How can I change the perception that I know everything as a scientist?

One way to change this perception is to be open and honest about your areas of expertise and knowledge. Admit when you don't know something and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help from others. This can show that you are human and have limitations like everyone else.

3. Is it possible for a scientist to know everything?

No, it is not possible for any individual, including a scientist, to know everything. Science is a vast and constantly evolving field, and it is impossible for one person to have a complete understanding of all its aspects. Even within a specific field, there will always be new discoveries and information to learn.

4. How can I handle the pressure of being expected to know everything as a scientist?

It is important to remember that it is not your responsibility to know everything. As a scientist, your role is to contribute to the body of knowledge in your field through research and experimentation. Don't be afraid to admit when you don't know something and focus on continuously learning and expanding your knowledge.

5. How can I educate others about the limitations of knowledge as a scientist?

One way to educate others about the limitations of knowledge is to openly discuss the scientific process and how it involves constantly questioning and revising our understanding of the world. You can also share personal experiences of times when you did not know something and how you went about finding the answer. This can help others understand that it is okay not to know everything and that the pursuit of knowledge is a continuous journey.