Why image is blurry or focused with convex lenses?

In summary, the conversation discusses fundamental questions about optics, specifically focusing and blurry images. The participants discuss the concept of rays converging at a single point for focus, and how fewer rays can result in a blurry image. They also touch on the concept of an underexposed area in photography and how it relates to focus. The conversation also mentions the importance of a one-to-one correspondence between points on an object and points in an image for a sharp image. Finally, there is a discussion about the cause of blurry images and the role of reflections from the screen.
TheCapacitor

Homework Statement

I have a few fundamental questions in optics about the focus and blurry images.

Each textbook says that according to this picture the object image is the same.

1) If we move the screen to point further then the image will be blurry. What causes it to be blurry?

2) Why do we need the rays to meet in the same point for focus? What does that mean when few rays from the top are coming to the same point? What does that do? Anyway, we see the reflection of them. Does the number affect the intensity?

3) What does blurry mean at lowest level possible? Is it rays from different parts of the object coming to the same point? Is it the different number of rays coming to a certain point from different points on the object?

4) As far as I see the objects top will now be in 3 different places. We should see the reflection of the top 3 times then? Of course there are infinite number of rays. But i"m trying to get a constructive vision on what's going on there.
DOLyR.png

Thanks

Attachments

• optics_que.png
    optics_que.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi C,

FIrst a comment on your picture: we usually start with expressions for thin lenses. The position of the lens in a picture is then the center plane, not the exit surface, when the lens is drawn with thickness (for clarity). The rays that in reality are diffracted when entering the lens and when exiting, are supposed to diffract at the midplane only. That way the two f points (which you did draw equidistant from the midplane) make more sense too. And the 2f points should really be at twice the f distance.
upload_2016-8-24_12-21-28.png

I'll lump 1 and 3: blurry, out of focus: that's when rays from a single point of the object don't end up in a single point but in a finite area of the image plane.

2. Fewer rays from a part of the object means less brightness in the image plane. In a photo that would be an underexposed area.

4. no, not in 3 different places: all the in between rays end up in between. So in an area (as opposed to: in a point). But basically that's repeating the 1/3 answer.
You can sketch the approximate bounds of the area by drawing the uppermmost and lowermost rays.

BvU said:
Hi C,

FIrst a comment on your picture: we usually start with expressions for thin lenses. The position of the lens in a picture is then the center plane, not the exit surface, when the lens is drawn with thickness (for clarity). The rays that in reality are diffracted when entering the lens and when exiting, are supposed to diffract at the midplane only. That way the two f points (which you did draw equidistant from the midplane) make more sense too. And the 2f points should really be at twice the f distance.
View attachment 105018

I'll lump 1 and 3: blurry, out of focus: that's when rays from a single point of the object don't end up in a single point but in a finite area of the image plane.

2. Fewer rays from a part of the object means less brightness in the image plane. In a photo that would be an underexposed area.

4. no, not in 3 different places: all the in between rays end up in between. So in an area (as opposed to: in a point). But basically that's repeating the 1/3 answer.
You can sketch the approximate bounds of the area by drawing the uppermmost and lowermost rays.

Can you give me more info about "underexposed area"? if we have the top object spread upon an area, I still don't get why it is blurry.

TheCapacitor said:
2) Why do we need the rays to meet in the same point for focus? What does that mean when few rays from the top are coming to the same point? What does that do? Anyway, we see the reflection of them. Does the number affect the intensity?
I thought I explained about in focus/out of focus.
Perhaps I misunderstood 'few rays'. Once you found the point in the image plane where two rays from the same point on the object meet, all rays from that point on the object that reach the lens go through that focal point. A sharp image must be a one to one correspondence between points from the object and points in the image.

All this for ideal lenses, of course.

BvU said:
I thought I explained about in focus/out of focus.
Perhaps I misunderstood 'few rays'. Once you found the point in the image plane where two rays from the same point on the object meet, all rays from that point on the object that reach the lens go through that focal point. A sharp image must be a one to one correspondence between points from the object and points in the image.

All this for ideal lenses, of course.
Firstly, thank you for the answers.
I understand this part. Maybe I better ask: What does really make me think it is blurry? You say that the more lines meet the more focus achieved. If less lines are meeting then it is blurry, and some are of the object is spread around the screen (for example let's take a screen). Let's look at my picture:
Let's assume that each light ray that is getting at a point on the screen. And it's reflecting to my eye, so I see my top 3 times according to the picture. Of course, there is unlimited number of rays so I see my top infinite number of times in some area where the image is.
That is happening with each part of my body. Small area on the body is seen unlimited number of times on a small area (instead of a smaller focused area) on the screen which makes it blurry. I'm sure what I've said now is incorrect or not precise. Then what is the reason behind it the blurry image? We can call it "bad reflection" from the screen. What's the cause of that "bad reflection"? Is this mixing of rays from different parts of the object into the same area? I'm trying to imagine what's is that bad reflection upon the screen.

TheCapacitor said:
You say that the more lines meet the more focus achieved. If less lines are meeting then it is blurry
I hope I did not write that. What are you referring to ?
TheCapacitor said:
Is this mixing of rays from different parts of the object into the same area
Yes. If you see parts of the nose mixed with the eyes, the portrait is blurry. Only if separate points of the object end up on separate points of the image (and nowhere else) can you have a sharp picture.

BvU said:
I hope I did not write that. What are you referring to ?
Yes. If you see parts of the nose mixed with the eyes, the portrait is blurry. Only if separate points of the object end up on separate points of the image (and nowhere else) can you have a sharp picture.

"Only if separate points of the object end up on separate points of the image (and nowhere else) can you have a sharp picture."
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Test it by constructing the image of another object point in the picture of post #2.

A further test you can do: where do the in-between the pink rays in that picture end up ? The idea is that all those end up in the same image point -- provided they make it through the lens aperture.

1. Why does an image appear blurry when viewed through a convex lens?

When light passes through a convex lens, it is refracted or bent towards the center of the lens. This causes the light rays to converge at a single point, also known as the focal point. If the object being viewed is not located at this focal point, the light rays will not converge at the same point, resulting in a blurry image.

2. How can I make my image appear more focused when using a convex lens?

To make an image appear more focused when using a convex lens, the object being viewed should be placed at the focal point of the lens. This will ensure that the light rays will converge at the same point, resulting in a clear and focused image.

3. What causes a convex lens to produce a magnified or enlarged image?

A convex lens produces a magnified or enlarged image because of its ability to refract light. The more curved the lens is, the greater the amount of refraction that occurs. This causes the light rays to converge at a point closer to the lens, resulting in a larger image.

4. Why does the image through a convex lens appear upside down?

The image through a convex lens appears upside down because of the way light rays are refracted. As light passes through the lens, the top of the object is bent downwards and the bottom is bent upwards, resulting in an inverted image.

5. What factors can affect the focus of an image when using a convex lens?

The focus of an image when using a convex lens can be affected by several factors, including the distance of the object from the lens, the curvature of the lens, and the wavelength of light being used. Additionally, any imperfections in the lens can also impact the focus of the image.