Why is a periodic function Time Variant?

In summary, a periodic function is considered time variant because it depends on the time variable and changes as time progresses. This means that the function's output will vary depending on the time at which it is evaluated. This is in contrast to time-invariant functions, which do not depend on time and have a constant output regardless of when they are evaluated. Periodic functions are commonly seen in physics and engineering, and understanding their time variant nature is crucial in analyzing and predicting their behavior.
Dorshoshani
Hey,
I hope you can help me.
I can't understand why periodic function is Time Variant.

thanks
Dor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because it does not take the same value for all times.

The definition of periodic means occurring at intervals of time.

In my opinion, a periodic function is a time variant system if the considered time is in the limits of the periodic time constant.
However, since a different input value produces a same output value if the time difference is a multiple of time constant you may consider a periodic function as a "limited time variant”.

Related to Why is a periodic function Time Variant?

1. Why is a periodic function time variant?

A periodic function is time variant because it varies with time. This means that its value at any given point in time is dependent on the time at which it is being evaluated. In other words, the function repeats itself at regular intervals, and each repetition is shifted in time.

2. How does time affect a periodic function?

Time affects a periodic function by shifting its values and altering its behavior. As time passes, the function will repeat itself, but its values and characteristics may change. This is what makes it time variant, as its properties are not constant over time.

3. Can a periodic function be time invariant?

No, a periodic function cannot be time invariant. By definition, a time invariant function has the same behavior and properties at any point in time. However, a periodic function's characteristics are dependent on time, so it cannot be considered time invariant.

4. What causes a periodic function to be time variant?

The repetitive nature of a periodic function is what causes it to be time variant. Since the function repeats itself at regular intervals, its values and behavior will change as time passes, making it time variant.

5. How can we identify time variance in a periodic function?

To identify time variance in a periodic function, we can analyze its behavior and properties over time. If the function's values and characteristics change as time passes, it is considered time variant. We can also plot the function over time and observe any shifts or changes in its shape and values.