Why is a resistor for convection not included in the thermal circuit solution?

In summary, the problem statement is that the wall is at 200C, so for whatever reason they don't expect you to consider the resistance inside the surface. The solution does not include using a heat transfer coefficient, neither convective in air, nor conductive in the foam. The only thing that matters is the outer diameter. The diameter must be such that the heat flow (W/m²) is reduced from hcv(200-25) to hcv(40-25). This results in the surface increasing by a factor 11.66. This gives the thickness of the foam as 1.2.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the question with the solution:
mMU1jG5.png

When I attempted this I added a resistor for the convection of the fluid inside. But the solution does not do this, does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Model these two situations:

1: without foam
2: with foam

Where then have you used the convection coefficient?

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the question with the solution:
mMU1jG5.png

When I attempted this I added a resistor for the convection of the fluid inside. But the solution does not do this, does anyone know why?
The problem statement says the wall is at 200 C, so, for whatever reason, they don't expect you to consider the resistance inside the surface.

Chet

Last edited:
The last question must be some kind of hint, to compensate for the opaque and tricky statement of the problem.

My understanding is that the heat rate (W) does not change, as it is determined by the chemical reaction.
Therefore, no heat transfer coefficient is needed, neither convective in air, nor conductive in the foam.
It is only the outer diameter that matters.
It must be such that the heat flow (W/m²) is reduced from hcv(200-25) to hcv(40-25).
Therefore the surface must increase by a factor 11.66 .
Therefore, the diameter must be sqrt(11.66) = 3.41 larger, which gives the thickness of the foam = 2.41/2 = 1.2 .

Question:
Would it be possible to replace the foam by a shell around the tank, with no convective heat transfer, but mainly radiation?

Last edited:
maajdl said:
The last question must be some kind of hint, to compensate for the opaque and tricky statement of the problem.

My understanding is that the heat rate (W) does not change, as it is determined by the chemical reaction.
Therefore, no heat transfer coefficient is needed, neither convective in air, nor conductive in the foam.
It is only the outer diameter that matters.
It must be such that the heat flow (W/m²) is reduced from hcv(200-25) to hcv(40-25).
Therefore the surface must increase by a factor 11.66 .
Therefore, the diameter must be sqrt(11.66) = 3.41 larger, which gives the thickness of the foam = 2.41/2 = 1.2 .

Question:
Would it be possible to replace the foam by a shell around the tank, with no convective heat transfer, but mainly radiation?
I think you're reading more into this problem than there is. Yes, in real life you would have to design it so that the same amount of heat is removed (as you indicated). But this is just a contrived problem where they state that the surface temperature is somehow kept at 200C. They are just trying to give the OP practice on a simple (admittedly unrealistic) problem. This is attested to by the fact that the solution they provide is consistent with this assumption.

Chet

They did not say that the wall is maintained at a fixed temperature!
And that's clearly a very badly conceived exercise, imho!

maajdl said:
They did not say that the wall is maintained at a fixed temperature!
They kind of did. "The wall... is at 200C...". What they meant was that it is maintained at that temperature.
And that's clearly a very badly conceived exercise, imho!
I totally agree.

Chet

I understand your point of view.
However, note that, if the heat rate is assumed to be constant, it would also be necessary to provide data about the wall temperature, since the heat flux (W/m²) is hcv.(Twall-Tamb) .
Therefore, any student with a perfect understanding of the topic would have to chose between two interpretations of why the wall temperature was provided and what is the purpose of the exercise.

maajdl said:
I understand your point of view.
However, note that, if the heat rate is assumed to be constant, it would also be necessary to provide data about the wall temperature, since the heat flux (W/m²) is hcv.(Twall-Tamb) .
Therefore, any student with a perfect understanding of the topic would have to chose between two interpretations of why the wall temperature was provided and what is the purpose of the exercise.
I can see that this problem really annoys you. It annoys me too.

Chet

Related to Why is a resistor for convection not included in the thermal circuit solution?

1. What is a thermal circuit?

A thermal circuit is a simplified representation of a thermal system or process. It consists of thermal components such as resistors, capacitors, and heat sources, and thermal connections between them.

2. How is a thermal circuit different from an electrical circuit?

A thermal circuit models the flow of heat energy, while an electrical circuit models the flow of electrical energy. Thermal components have different properties and equations compared to electrical components.

3. What is thermal resistance?

Thermal resistance is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of heat through it. It is represented by the symbol R and is measured in units of degrees Celsius per watt (°C/W). A higher thermal resistance means it is more difficult for heat to pass through the material.

4. How do you calculate thermal resistance in a thermal circuit?

Thermal resistance in a thermal circuit can be calculated by dividing the temperature difference between two points by the rate of heat flow between those points. It can also be calculated using the thermal conductivity and thickness of a material.

5. What is the thermal equivalent of Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. In thermal circuits, the equivalent law is Fourier's Law, which states that the rate of heat flow through a material is directly proportional to the temperature difference across the material and inversely proportional to the thermal resistance of the material.