Why is a Resistor Needed in an Emitter Follower Bias Current Circuit?

In summary, the emitter followers section in The Art Of Electronics mentions the importance of providing a dc path for base bias current, even if it goes only to ground. This is necessary because if the signal is capacitively coupled, a resistor to ground (Fig. 2.18) must be included. The figure provided shows an example of this circuit. The resistor RB is needed to prevent distortion in the output, as without it the capacitor would charge up and prevent base current from flowing. The circuit is rarely used due to high distortion, but can be used in frequency multiplier circuits. Overall, the resistor is needed to discharge the capacitor and allow base current to flow on input voltage peaks.
nylonman
Hi, I'm reading The Art Of Electronics and I saw this in the emitter followers section:

"Warning:
You must always provide a dc path for base bias current, even if it goes only to ground... if the signal is capacitively coupled, you must provide a resistor to ground (Fig. 2.18)."

Here is the figure: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/figurep.png/

Could someone explain me why the resistor RB is needed?

Any help will be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it were missing where would the current path be for the bias current?

ok, I see it, it was simpler than I thought. Thanks!

That circuit is used rarely because it generates a lot of distortion. To avoid this, a base bias resistor is usually placed between the +ve supply voltage and the base.

However, if you did use this circuit, and omitted the resistor to ground, then the capacitor would charge up on the first few cycles of input (via the base-emitter junction) and the base would have a negative voltage on it of about the peak value of the input signal.

This would bias the transistor off and there would be no output.

Using the resistor allows the capacitor to partly discharge between cycles of input and base current would flow on input voltage peaks.

The output will be very distorted and this is sometimes used in frequency multiplier circuits.

ok, so in other words you are saying that we need the resistor in order to discharge the capacitor since the transistor emitter allows the current to flow only in one direction, right?

Yes, the base emitter junction acts like any other diode and charges up the capacitor to the peak value of the input signal. After that, the transistor cannot be driven into base current, so there is no output.

Related to Why is a Resistor Needed in an Emitter Follower Bias Current Circuit?

1. What is emitter follower bias current?

Emitter follower bias current, also known as base current, is the amount of current flowing through the base-emitter junction of an emitter follower transistor. This current is necessary to bias the transistor and allow it to amplify the input signal.

2. Why is emitter follower bias current important?

Emitter follower bias current is important because it determines the amount of current that can be delivered to the load by the emitter follower circuit. It also affects the linearity and stability of the circuit.

3. How is emitter follower bias current calculated?

Emitter follower bias current can be calculated using Ohm's law. The formula is I = (Vcc - Vbe) / Rb, where I is the bias current, Vcc is the supply voltage, Vbe is the base-emitter voltage, and Rb is the base resistor.

4. What factors can affect emitter follower bias current?

The two main factors that can affect emitter follower bias current are the base resistor and the base-emitter voltage. Changes in these values can alter the amount of current flowing through the transistor, and can also affect the stability of the circuit.

5. How can emitter follower bias current be adjusted?

Emitter follower bias current can be adjusted by changing the value of the base resistor or by using a voltage divider circuit. It is important to ensure that the bias current is within the recommended range for the specific transistor being used.