Why is it possible for a sigma hyperon to decay into either 2 or 3 gamma hyperons?

In summary: Inclusive cross sections for Xi Gamma hyperon production in high-energy Sigma Gamma , ß Gamma and neutron induced interactions were measured by the experiment WA89 at CERN. Secondary Sigma Gamma and ß Gamma beams with average momenta of 345 GeV=c and a neutron beam of 260 GeV=c were produced by primary protons of 450 GeV=c from the CERN SPS. The influence of the target mass on the Xi Gamma cross section is explored by comparing reactions on copper and carbon nuclei. Both single and double differential cross sections are presented as a function of the transverse momentum and the Feynman variable x F . A strong leading effect for Xi Gamma produced by Sigma Gamma is observed. (Submitted to
sysprog
Why is it possible for a sigma hyperon to decay into either 2 or 3 gamma hyperons?

Physics news on Phys.org
sysprog said:
Decay processes are beyond the scope of this article.

PeroK said:
Decay processes are beyond the scope of this article.
ok

sysprog said:
What is a gamma hyperon?

Likes vanhees71
Well, sorry, but I look it up before asking and I couldn't find anything, also I couldn't get much information in the link you give, but I think it refers to this paper? Is this what you mean? Because in this paper they talk about the ##\Omega^-## hyperon, is the gamma hyperon another name for the ##\Omega^-## hyperon?

Likes PeroK
Gaussian97 said:
Well, sorry, but I look it up before asking and I couldn't find anything, also I couldn't get much information in the link you give, but I think it refers to this paper? Is this what you mean? Because in this paper they talk about the ##\Omega^-## hyperon, is the gamma hyperon another name for the ##\Omega^-## hyperon?
That Greek letter is called Omega -- have you read about hyperons? if you're curious, please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperon -- it doesn't say anything about gamma hyperons, but it does discuss lambdas and omegas, and the article is pretty good regarding hyperons generally.

sysprog said:
That Greek letter is called Omega -- have you read about hyperons? if you're curious, please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperon -- it doesn't say anything about gamma hyperons, but it does discuss lambdas and omegas, and the article is pretty good regarding hyperons generally.
Yes, I know that ##\Omega## is the Greek letter Omega, and I know what the Hyperons are, and precisely because I never heard about the gamma hyperon is why I'm asking what it is. And as I said the link you give me, took me to the paper I mentioned in #11, which actually doesn't mention the gamma hyperon in the hole article. So could you please give me an exact reference on what are this gamma hyperons? Or an article referring to the decays you said?

Well, I don't have this book, can you please tell me what are its properties (quark content, isospin, mass, etc...)
Thanks!

In 1968 when I read that book the model wasn't as built as it is now. I don't know the details that you've asked for. Thanks for caring.

1. There is no such thing as a Gamma Hyperon.
2. Even if there were, a Sigma Hyperon could not decay into two or three of them because it would violate conservation of baryon number.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
There is no gamma hyperon mentioned in this PhD thesis. This is no surprise since there's no gamma hyperon known. The thesis discusses the weak decay ##\Omega^{-} \rightarrow \Lambda K^-##. The leading-order Feynman diagrams are drawn in the thesis in Fig. 1.2.
Wow -- I found the term 'gamma hyperon' in the title of that article, and I remember that term from a '65 book that I read a few years later than '65, and you say that "there's no gamma hyperon known" -- I respectfully disagree:

V, Mpi-k & Adamovich, M & Barberis, D & Beck, Mathias & Beusch, W. & Boss, M & Brons, Stephan & Busch, Carina & Buscher, C. & Charignon, F. & Chauvin, J. & Dersch, U. & Dropmann, F. & Engelfried, J. & Faller, Frank & Fournier, A. (1997). Production by Sigma.

Inclusive cross sections for Xi Gamma hyperon production in high-energy Sigma Gamma , ß Gamma and neutron induced interactions were measured by the experiment WA89 at CERN. Secondary Sigma Gamma and ß Gamma beams with average momenta of 345 GeV=c and a neutron beam of 260 GeV=c were produced by primary protons of 450 GeV=c from the CERN SPS. The influence of the target mass on the Xi Gamma cross section is explored by comparing reactions on copper and carbon nuclei. Both single and double differential cross sections are presented as a function of the transverse momentum and the Feynman variable x F . A strong leading effect for Xi Gamma produced by Sigma Gamma is observed. (Submitted to Zeitschrift fur Physik C) #) supported by the Bundesministerium fur Bildung, Wissenschaft,Forschung und Technologie, Germany, under contract numbers 05 5HD15I, 06 HD524I and 06 MZ5265 a Now at FNAL, PO Box 500 Batavia, IL 60510, USA. b Now at Fraunhofer Inst. fur Solar...
[emphasis added]

I think you mean this article in where the gamma hyperon is not mentioned anywhere, I think your gammas appear in converting some symbols to plain text in some way.

Last edited:
Here's the link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2794487_Production_by_Sigma

It's clear that the title is botched. It simply says "Production by Sigma".

There is no Gamma Hyperon.

sysprog said:
Here's the link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2794487_Production_by_Sigma
Go to the link I give you in #15 you will see it's the same article, but no gamma hyperon.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's clear that the title is botched. It simply says "Production by Sigma".

There is no Gamma Hyperon.
I'll rethink.

This thread was broken out of a different thread, and @sysprog has requested that this thread be closed now. Thanks everybody. :smile:

Likes sysprog

1. Why does a sigma hyperon decay into multiple gamma hyperons instead of other particles?

The decay of a sigma hyperon into multiple gamma hyperons is due to the conservation of energy and momentum. The sigma hyperon has a higher mass than the combined masses of the gamma hyperons, allowing for the excess energy to be released in the form of gamma rays.

2. How is it possible for a sigma hyperon to decay into both 2 and 3 gamma hyperons?

The decay of a sigma hyperon into either 2 or 3 gamma hyperons is a probabilistic process. The exact number of gamma hyperons produced is determined by the laws of quantum mechanics and cannot be predicted beforehand.

3. What is the role of strong nuclear force in the decay of a sigma hyperon into gamma hyperons?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding the quarks together in a sigma hyperon. During the decay process, the strong nuclear force is overcome, causing the sigma hyperon to break apart into gamma hyperons.

4. Are there any other particles that a sigma hyperon can decay into?

Yes, a sigma hyperon can also decay into a lambda hyperon and a pion. This decay mode is less common compared to the decay into gamma hyperons.

5. What is the significance of studying the decay of sigma hyperons into gamma hyperons?

The decay of sigma hyperons into gamma hyperons provides valuable information about the fundamental interactions between particles and helps us better understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has implications in astrophysics, as the decay of sigma hyperons is thought to occur in neutron stars.