Why is it that cocaine crystals aren't transparent

In summary: This will cause the small crystals to grow even smaller and the crystals will become transparent again.
Siber
So I admittedly was a former cocaine user. I've since cleaned up and am back in school and my life is going in the right direction for once. I took a class in organic chemistry this previous semester and we did a lab on recrystallization. I think it was boric acid that I recrystallized, but I remember reading before that transparent crystals tend to be the purest.

Anyway, one thing about cocaine is that when it is of very high quality (high purity), it is composed of pearly flakes which are not transparent at all. They look silverish, like aluminum. Very shiny. Why is it that cocaine crystals, when they're of high purity, aren't transparent but other crystals are? This seems counter-intuitive to me.

Crystal1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Siber said:
before that transparent crystals tend to be the purest.
... and, your question is what? Physiological effects are unrelated to "purity/quality" as you seem to think. "Quality" does not imply purity.

Bystander said:
... and, your question is what? Physiological effects are unrelated to "purity/quality" as you seem to think. "Quality" does not imply purity.

You seem to be saying that just because a user thinks the product is high quality, doesn't mean its purity is high. This may be correct, but drug seizures easily reach into the high 80%'s to lower 90%'s for purity, yet the product is still pearl flakes. This still leaves me asking, why aren't these high purity crystals transparent, like high purity crystals of other substances?

EDIT: I'm actually looking at pictures right now of crystals of substances (like gemstones for example), which are pure, but aren't transparent. Am I incorrect in my assumption that a pure crystal must be a transparent one?

Siber said:
Am I incorrect in my assumption that a pure crystal must be a transparent one?

Yes. Metals are composed of tiny crystals, for example.

Also, while 90% may be 'high purity' to a junkie, it's not to a chemist. >99% is not uncommon.

"High purity" in chemistry is more like 99.999%.

Even with 100% purity, there are two things that can make the material intransparent:
- the crystal itself can absorb or reflect visible light. Every metal is an example.
- the material can be made out of many small crystals that are loosely connected. Light can be scattered at every border between those crystals, and the material looks white. Snow is an example: the individual ice crystals are transparent, but you have to many surfaces that scatter light that snow does not look clear. Compressed to solid ice with larger and more compact crystals it gets transparent again.

Likes Ygggdrasil
Material also can include impurities with other refractive index.

This brings to my mind something else that is expensive, namely gemstones. Rubies should be very clear and transparent when without any fractures in them, but almost always there are so called "inclusions", which are small fractures inside the stone and make it less transparent:

V_Q1.jpg

Of course, the expensiveness of those gemstones can vary greatly depending on the clearness of their appearance. In the case of drugs, the appearance of the material doesn't usually matter much, though.

You should try to recrystallize it and cool it very slowly.

1. Why are cocaine crystals not transparent?

Cocaine crystals are not transparent because of their molecular structure. The molecules in cocaine crystals are arranged in a way that causes light to be scattered and absorbed, rather than passing through. This scattering of light gives the crystals their opaque appearance.

2. What causes cocaine crystals to have a white appearance?

The white appearance of cocaine crystals is due to the presence of impurities. Pure cocaine is actually a colorless crystal, but during the extraction process, impurities from the coca leaves are also extracted, giving the crystals a white color.

3. Can the transparency of cocaine crystals be altered?

Yes, the transparency of cocaine crystals can be altered by manipulating the molecular structure. This can be achieved through chemical reactions or adding other substances to the crystals. However, these alterations can also change the properties and effects of the cocaine, making it more dangerous to consume.

4. Are there any other substances that have a similar opaque appearance to cocaine crystals?

Yes, there are other substances that have a similar opaque appearance to cocaine crystals, such as powdered sugar, powdered milk, and some types of salt. These substances also have a crystalline structure that scatters and absorbs light, giving them an opaque appearance.

5. Is there a reason why cocaine crystals have a crystalline structure?

Yes, the crystalline structure of cocaine is a result of its molecular structure. The molecules in cocaine are arranged in a repeating pattern, which results in the formation of crystals. This structure also gives cocaine its unique properties and effects, making it highly addictive and dangerous.