Why is it that in a mirror that my image is flipped

In summary: They will only intersect at the point where the image and the real world meet.In summary, when you look in a mirror, your image is inverted but not flipped.
deimos
i was wondering why is it that in a mirror that my image is fliped but not upside down, why is it in just one plane.

Science news on Phys.org
Flipped? I don't think so.

When you meet somebody face to face is his or her left hand to your left? No, it's to your right! The mirror "does" the same thing.

Tide, if you could elaborate please?

For instance, when I look in the mirror, my right hand is to my right. In fact, the image I see in the mirror is inverted horizontally compared to what other people see when they look at me. In fact, I am not seeing me as I am, but a "mirror image" of me. Isn't that where the term mirror image comes from in the first place?

It doesn't surprise me though...take every point my body and map it to the opposite wall using straight lines perpendicular to the wall. It's easy to see why the image on the wall is necessarily inverted. Only if the observer could go through the wall and view the image formed by the points from the other side, would what he see match with what I look like to him. Is this making any sense?

For instance, when I look in the mirror, my right hand is to my right.

Yes, but your right hand looks like the left hand of a person standing in front of you.

The point is nothing is "flipped." Everything that was to your right in the "real" world is to the right in the "image" world, everything that is up in the real world is up in the image world and so on. That's just simple reflection which is essentially what you are attempting to express in your "model."

Last edited:
If you draw lines from points in the real world to corresponding points in the mirror, the lines will never cross, neither vertically, nor horizontally.

Related to Why is it that in a mirror that my image is flipped

1. Why does my image appear flipped in a mirror?

When you look into a mirror, you are actually seeing a reflection of yourself. Mirrors work by reflecting light off of a smooth surface, and this reflection creates an image that appears to be behind the mirror. This means that the right side of your body is being reflected on the left side of the mirror, and vice versa, making your image appear flipped.

2. Is there a scientific reason for why my image is flipped in a mirror?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for this phenomenon. It is based on the principle of light reflection and the fact that mirrors create virtual images, which are essentially reflections of objects rather than the objects themselves. This is also why words appear backwards when viewed in a mirror.

3. Can I see myself the way others see me in a mirror?

No, you cannot see yourself the way others see you in a mirror. This is because the image you see in a mirror is flipped horizontally, while the image others see is not flipped. Therefore, the image you see in a mirror is a reverse or mirror image of yourself.

4. Does the size of the mirror affect how much my image is flipped?

Yes, the size of the mirror can affect how much your image appears to be flipped. The larger the mirror, the less noticeable the flipping effect will be. This is because the larger the mirror, the closer the reflected image is to your actual size, making it appear less distorted.

5. Why is it that some mirrors make me look taller or shorter?

This is due to the angle of the mirror and the distance between you and the mirror. When you stand closer to a mirror, the angle of reflection changes, making you appear taller or shorter. Additionally, some mirrors may be slightly curved, which can also distort your reflection and make you appear taller or shorter.