Why is my USB mouse not working on Windows 7?

In summary: Software related could be something like a driver issue, incompatible hardware, or malware. Anything else?I will try my web cam and see if that works.
dmatador
I recently built a new computer off newegg. Put everything together without a hitch, and order Windows 7 oem. I proceeded to install windows 7. Once the download was complete, I went to use my mouse, it didn't work. I figured this as being no big deal seeing as how I did not install my motherboard drivers yet.

After installing my mobo drivers I was shocked to see that my mouse was still not working. The optic was illuminated, but the mouse was not functioning and I was getting a "balloon" at the bottom of the screen saying that windows could not recognize my device.

I proceeded to update drivers, reset my mobo, try different mice, deleted the mouse registry, trying different slots, and even re-install windows. I am currently at a loss as to why this is happening.

Specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 2.9Ghz - 2.0 MB Cache
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Logitech G5 mouse
Windows 7 Home Edition OEM

Computer science news on Phys.org
Does the mouse work when connected to different computers?

Do other USB devices work when connected to this particular USB?

Any USB setting in mobo setup than you may have modified?

Try borrowing another (generic) mouse from a friend. If that works, then you may have to search for appropriate (to your build-OS) drivers for the G5. Good luck. I can imagine paying $150 for a stinking mouse, but not in this life.

Borek said:
Does the mouse work when connected to different computers?

Do other USB devices work when connected to this particular USB?

Any USB setting in mobo setup than you may have modified?

I have not tried the G5 on any other computers but I did use two other mice from working computers to try to trouble shoot with and windows could still not recognize the usb device.

I used my old wireless mouse and keyboard from logitech, which is one part usb and the other part is the older green mouse plug and that worked at first, but not any longer.

Initially I did not play with any mobo settings besides updating drivers, but after initial trial and error, I tried playing around with some with no success.

Other devices?

So for it sounds like a faulty/fried port to me.

Borek said:
Other devices?

So for it sounds like a faulty/fried port to me.

I will try my web cam and see if that works. I am just confused why my device will power up and then windows will give me an error. I have tried all slots with the same result.

I just can't help but think that it is software related.

Power up means just that the power is there, USB supplies both power and communications - and you can have one without the other, that's not like a horse and carriage.

What is the cause of the "Solving Windows 7 USB Error"?

The most common cause of this error is a corrupted or outdated USB driver. This can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as a recent system upgrade or a virus infection.

How can I fix the "Solving Windows 7 USB Error"?

One solution is to update the USB driver to the latest version. This can be done by going to the Device Manager, locating the USB driver, and selecting the option to update the driver. Another solution is to uninstall the USB driver and then restart the computer, which will automatically reinstall the driver.

Can a faulty USB device cause this error?

Yes, a faulty USB device can also be the cause of this error. If you have recently connected a new USB device and started experiencing this error, try disconnecting the device and see if the error persists.

Is there a way to prevent "Solving Windows 7 USB Error" from occurring?

To prevent this error from occurring, it is important to regularly update your USB drivers and ensure that your computer is protected from viruses and malware. It is also recommended to safely remove USB devices instead of just unplugging them.

What should I do if none of the solutions work?

If none of the solutions work, it is possible that there may be a hardware issue with your USB port. In this case, it is best to contact a technician for further assistance.