Why is platinum wire classed as a drug precursor ?

In summary, local science equipment suppliers are now citing platinum wire as a drug precursor. I can't see how anyone uses platinum wire or salts as a drug to get high. I am puzzled, in any case it would surely be way expensive for little or no effect? Maybe anti-cancer drug attempts? Or is it just bureaucracy stuffing up again? Any ideas?
synch
TL;DR Summary
Why is platinum wire classed as a drug precursor ?

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/chemistry.83/post-thread
I wanted to make a simple platinum electrode with a few cm of wire. But it is hard to get. Local (Australia) science equipment suppliers are now citing platinum wire as a drug precursor. I can't see how anyone uses platinum wire or salts as a drug to get high. I am puzzled, in any case it would surely be way expensive for little or no effect ? Maybe anti-cancer drug attempts ? Or is it just bureaucracy stuffing up again ? Any ideas ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You link does not go to a thread

Maybe platinum is a catalyst for some drug making reaction.
Where I live (Oregon) pseudoepinepherin containing cold allergy treatments have been made a lot harder to get (requires a prescription) because the pseudoepinephrin can be a precursor in the manufacturing of some licit drug.

Likes synch, hmmm27 and Rive
BillTre said:
Maybe platinum is a catalyst for some drug making reaction.
Consequently, the chances to identify the exact reaction/drug might be really slim.
To be honest, given how widely used catalyst platinum is, I find this kind of thing a 'little bit' dumb.

The drug will be cisplatin, or more accurately PtCl2(NH3)2, used in cancer treatment.
Thought everyone knew that, but then I did include it in some lectures I gave so I am at a slight advantage there.

BUT saying Pt is a drug precursor is a bit extreme. The PtCl2, perhaps, could be described that way in an extreme case. Sounds like someone doesn't want to sell you Pt wire - are you a young person perhaps?

When our dog got sick many years ago and the vet school said it was too expensive a drug to use, I considered making it. But not knowing the dose / concentration to use we decided I wouldn't do it (had the starting material in the lab as I was making some Pt complexes in my research work.)

• Wow
Likes symbolipoint, jim mcnamara and Rive
DrJohn said:
The drug will be cisplatin, or more accurately PtCl2(NH3)2, used in cancer treatment.
Thought everyone knew that, but then I did include it in some lectures I gave so I am at a slight advantage there.

BUT saying Pt is a drug precursor is a bit extreme. The PtCl2, perhaps, could be described that way in an extreme case. Sounds like someone doesn't want to sell you Pt wire - are you a young person perhaps?
Cisplatin contains platinum, but the reason for the restriction is probably, as others have pointed out, because platinum is a decent hydrogenation catalyst. It's similar to laws in the US which restrict hydriodic acid and red phosphorus as drug precursors because they can be used as reducing agents to make illicit substances (regardless of whether those substances contain iodine or phosphorus).

Likes synch, chemisttree and Rive
TeethWhitener said:
Cisplatin contains platinum, but the reason for the restriction is probably, as others have pointed out, because platinum is a decent hydrogenation catalyst. It's similar to laws in the US which restrict hydriodic acid and red phosphorus as drug precursors because they can be used as reducing agents to make illicit substances (regardless of whether those substances contain iodine or phosphorus).
Of course platinum wire isn’t usually used for that. Platinum oxide usually supported on carbon.

Well that is depressing. I knew platinum was generally used as a reduction catalyst in chemistry but thought it would be too awkward and expensive for the low-lifes.
Thanks everyone.

Thread closed temporarily-ish for Moderation...

UPDATE -- Thread is starting to attract replies that are not appropriate. Thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

1. Why is platinum wire considered a drug precursor?

Platinum wire is considered a drug precursor because it is used in the production of illegal drugs, specifically in the process of synthesizing methamphetamine.

2. How is platinum wire used in the production of drugs?

Platinum wire is used as a catalyst in the chemical reactions involved in the production of drugs. It helps to speed up the reactions and increase the yield of the final product.

3. Is platinum wire the only drug precursor?

No, there are many other substances that are considered drug precursors, including common household items like pseudoephedrine, iodine, and hydrochloric acid.

4. Why is platinum wire specifically targeted as a drug precursor?

Platinum wire is targeted as a drug precursor because it is a key component in the production of methamphetamine, which is a highly addictive and illegal drug. Its use in this process has been well-documented and regulated by authorities.

5. Can platinum wire be used for any other purposes besides drug production?

Yes, platinum wire has many legitimate and important uses in industries such as electronics, healthcare, and jewelry making. However, due to its potential for misuse, its sale and distribution may be regulated in some areas.