Why is radon in houses still dangerous?

• Thread starter 96alex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radon
In summary, radon is a noble gas that is constantly produced in underground rocks and can potentially build up inside homes where it decays. In some countries, building regulations require the use of radon barriers to reduce levels. In Sweden, many cases of radon in houses are due to the use of "blue concrete" which contains uranium. This uranium is decaying and producing radon. The long half-life of uranium is the main issue in the persistence of radon in houses.
96alex
1. I've been wondering about this a lot. It's about the health risks of radon in houses, since radon has a half-life of 3.8 days, and most radon houses(at least where I live(sweden)) were built it the sixties, how come it's still such a big problem? Shouldn't the radon have decayed by now? I know the "parent" element to radon is radium and that it's half-life is 1620 years so is that the problem? The amount of radium?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Radon is constantly being produced in underground rocks. Being a noble gas it easily sips out of the rock and can potentially build up inside homes where it decays.

What Dauto said.

In some countries the building regulations require Radon barriers to be added to floor and/or a ventilated voids below the floor. Lots of info out there..

http://www.ukradon.org/information/reducelevels

http://www.melton.gov.uk/PDF/Radon%20-%20Protective%20Measures%20in%20New%20Dwellings.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Many cases of radon in houses in Sweden is actually due to the use of "blue concrete" (blåbetong), which was made using lime containing uranium. It is that uranium which is decaying and producing radon.

A good source of information (for those who can read Swedish) is http://www.radonguiden.se/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fast replies mates!

I found that uranium is the bad guy in this, it's the one constantly supplying radon since it's half life is millions of years!

Again, thanks!

1. Why is radon dangerous in houses?

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can seep into houses through cracks and openings in the foundation. It is dangerous because it can accumulate to high levels in indoor air, increasing the risk of lung cancer when inhaled over a long period of time.

2. How does radon enter houses?

Radon can enter houses through any openings or cracks in the foundation, including gaps between the walls and floors, sump pumps, and utility penetrations. It can also enter through well water and building materials.

3. What are the health risks associated with radon?

Exposure to high levels of radon can increase the risk of lung cancer, as it is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. The risk is higher for smokers, but non-smokers can also develop lung cancer from radon exposure.

4. How can I test for radon in my house?

You can purchase a radon testing kit from a hardware store or contact a professional to conduct the test for you. The most common type of test is a short-term test that takes 2-7 days to complete. Long-term tests are also available, which take 90 days or more to get accurate results.

5. What can be done to reduce radon levels in a house?

If high levels of radon are detected in a house, there are several measures that can be taken to reduce the levels. These include sealing cracks and openings in the foundation, installing a radon mitigation system, and improving ventilation in the house. It is important to consult a professional for the most effective solution for your specific situation.