Why is the current not zero in part e of this Kirchoff's Law problem?

In summary: Do you understand that a short circuit and an open circuit are not the same thing? Sloppy terminology results from and/or causes sloppy thinking, so saying that a short circuit and an open circuit are the same thing is not a good idea.Yes, short circuits and open circuits are not the same thing. A short circuit is when the current goes through the object and causes damage, while an open circuit is when the current is not able to pass through the object.
Regtic
http://i.imgur.com/EFciS60.png

How do you do part e? Also can someone explain why the current I3 isn't 0 if the switch has been closed for a long time? Doesn't it behave like a short circuit if the switch is closed because the capacitor becomes fully charged and the current becomes zero ish?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Regtic said:
http://i.imgur.com/EFciS60.png

How do you do part e?
This is simple circuit analysis. You have to show an attempt yourself.

Also can someone explain why the current I3 isn't 0 if the switch has been closed for a long time?
If the switch has been closed for a long time that current is zero.

Doesn't it behave like a short circuit if the switch is closed because the capacitor becomes fully charged and the current becomes zero ish?
No, it becomes an OPEN circuit and the current is zeor-ish.

Craaap sorry I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Wish I could delete the thread and repost it in the HW forum.
Yes, and you should have shown some attempt at your own work in the homework template.

phinds said:
This is simple circuit analysis. You have to show an attempt yourself.

If the switch has been closed for a long time that current is zero.

Yes, and you should have shown some attempt at your own work in the homework template.

Oh this was from a test, I could have shown it but I got 5.5/10 on it so it wasn't very useful.

phinds said:

What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing? They both mean the switch is open no?

Last edited:
Regtic said:
What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing? They both mean the switch is open no?

Do you understand that a short circuit and an open circuit are not the same thing? Sloppy terminology results from and/or causes sloppy thinking, so saying that a short circuit and an open circuit are the same thing is not a good idea.

phinds said:
Do you understand that a short circuit and an open circuit are not the same thing? Sloppy terminology results from and/or causes sloppy thinking, so saying that a short circuit and an open circuit are the same thing is not a good idea.

Ya no kidding...

Do you guys think these answers are correct? I posted the problem to chegg but I have like 3 different answers. I think this one might might be legit, but I don't know if it's really discharging or not. I think it's charging up because it's an open circuit and current is trying to pass through it but it's fully charged. I don't understand what he did for part D so I think that's wrong, but everything else is legit.

QbAjrXd.png

(or on imgur)
http://i.imgur.com/KxAoeQ4.jpg?2

Last edited:

1. What is Kirchoff's Law problem?

Kirchoff's Law problem refers to a set of fundamental principles in circuit analysis, named after German physicist Gustav Kirchoff. These principles are used to determine the voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits.

2. What are the two laws of Kirchoff's Law problem?

The two laws of Kirchoff's Law problem are Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do Kirchoff's Laws apply to solving circuit problems?

Kirchoff's Laws serve as the basis for solving circuit problems mathematically. By applying KCL and KVL, we can create a system of equations that can be solved to determine the values of voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and combination circuits. They are also applicable to both DC and AC circuits.

5. What are the limitations of Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws assume ideal conditions in a circuit, such as no resistance in wires and perfect components. In real-world circuits, these conditions may not hold true, and the laws may not provide accurate results. Additionally, Kirchoff's Laws do not take into account the effects of inductance and capacitance in a circuit.