Why is the direction of temperature gradient important in thermal conductivity?

In summary, the sign of dθ/dx in thermal conductivity does not have a physical significance and depends on the placement of the origin and hot end. The gradient is always negative, indicating a decrease in temperature from hot to cold.
Ronaldo95163
I'm doing Thermal conductivity and I'm kinda confused on something wrt to the temperature gradient...why is it that ΔΘ in the first case the smaller value minus the larger but in the second example it's the larger minus the smaller?

Attachments

• thermal.jpg
    thermal.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
Ronaldo95163 said:
I'm doing Thermal conductivity and I'm kinda confused on something wrt to the temperature gradient...why is it that ΔΘ in the first case the smaller value minus the larger but in the second example it's the larger minus the smaller?
Whether dθ/dx is positive or negative has no physical significance. Heat flow is always from hotter to cooler. The sign depends on where you put the origin and where the hot end is in relation to the origin.

AM

Oh cool
So For the first example it wouldn't have mattered if 120-0 was used instead then?

Ronaldo95163 said:
Oh cool
So For the first example it wouldn't have mattered if 120-0 was used instead then?
If the hot end is at the origin (x=0) and the cool end at x=20cm then:

dθ/dx = Δθ/Δx = (0-120)/(20-0) = -6°/cm

If the cool end is at the origin (x=0) and the hot end at x=20cm then:

dθ/dx = Δθ/Δx = (120-0)/(20-0) = 6°/cm

The gradient from hot to cold is always negative: i.e. temperature decreases with distance from the hot end.

AM

Thanks a lot man :D

Related to Why is the direction of temperature gradient important in thermal conductivity?

What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at a microscopic level, focusing on the movement and transfer of heat energy. It addresses topics such as temperature, heat, and the properties of materials at different temperatures.

What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the total amount of energy transferred between two objects due to a temperature difference. In simpler terms, temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat, while heat is a measure of the quantity of energy.

What are the three modes of heat transfer?

The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In other words, the total energy of a closed system remains constant.

What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two objects or systems are at the same temperature and there is no net flow of heat between them. This means that the rate of heat transfer from one object to the other is equal to the rate of heat transfer from the other to the first object.