Why is the dot product equivalent to matrix multiplication?

In summary, the dot product is equivalent to matrix multiplication because it measures how much of one vector is projected into another vector, taking into account their magnitude and direction. This is a geometric definition that can be understood intuitively. While proofs using Pythagorean and cosine law may not provide an intuitive understanding, the geometric definition does. Additionally, the dot product can be seen as a 2-tensor and can be represented as a matrix or quadratic form.
rdgn
Why is the dot product equivalent to the matrix multiplication of its components?

I've seen some proofs using Pythagorean and cosine law but they don't give you an intuitive feel as to why matrix multiplication works.

The geometric definition (##ab cosθ##) is very easy to understand. To a certain extent, I can understand why matrix multiplication works when either vector ##a## or ##b## is parallel to the x or y-axis since the product would ultimately simplify to the geometric definition, but I don't understand why it works for any arbitrary vector.

Can anyone give an intuition of why this works? (not proof/s, since I've already seen some)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of a dot product, that is acceptable for you? This is important since you basically ask, why two definitions are equivalent. So what's yours?

Well, based on the intuition of the geometric definition, it's simply how much of a certain vector goes into another vector. (or more formally), how much of a vector is projected into another vector multiplied by the magnitude of that vector. Also, a measure of how much they point in the same direction.

Btw, I found this video by 3b1b (youtube.com/watch?v=LyGKycYT2v0), I think it's great but it might take a while before the idea sinks into my head (and i should familiarize myself more with linear transformations).

A major point is, as soon as you write vectors ##v## as ##(v_1,v_2,\ldots)## and perform matrix multiplications you will have to chose some basis first to make sense of the components. Thus you will have to bridge the gap between a purely geometric point of view and the algebraic view in terms of numbers, components first.

An interesting read about the various products can be found on the first pages of this pdf:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.5935.pdf
It stresses the geometry behind those products (dot-product, ##\wedge##-product).

Likes QuantumQuest
You can also argue that the dot product is bilinear and so it is a 2-tensor. Tensors of total (meaning sum of covariant and contravariant indices) order ## \leq 2 ## can be represented as a standard matrix ( order 1) or as a quadratic form (order 2 ).

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single number. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding them together.

2. How is the dot product related to matrix multiplication?

The dot product is equivalent to matrix multiplication when one of the two vectors is a row vector and the other is a column vector. In this case, the dot product result is equal to the matrix multiplication result.

3. Why is the dot product used in matrix multiplication?

The dot product is used in matrix multiplication because it allows us to calculate the product of two matrices using a simple formula, without the need for complex calculations. It also has important geometric interpretations and properties that make it useful in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. What are the benefits of using the dot product in matrix multiplication?

One of the main benefits of using the dot product in matrix multiplication is that it simplifies the calculation process. It also allows us to represent complex operations in a more concise and efficient manner. Additionally, the dot product has important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How can the dot product be interpreted geometrically in matrix multiplication?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. In matrix multiplication, this interpretation can help us understand how the elements of the resulting matrix are calculated and how they represent transformations in space.