Why is the Entropy of the Universe (total entropy) a path function?

In summary, the professor thinks that ##\Delta S_{univ}## is not a state function, and that this makes ##\Delta S_{tot}## a path function.
Jimyoung
Homework Statement
The question of the problem is "What if Delta S_{univ} was a state function? How would the world be different?"
Relevant Equations
Delta S_univ = Delta S + Delta S_sur
I understand that S (Ssys) is a state function but I can't understand why Ssurr and Suniv (or Stot) are a path function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimyoung said:
Homework Statement:: The question is "What if Delta S_univ was a state function? How would the world be different?"
Relevant Equations:: Delta S_univ = Delta S + Delta S_sur

I understand that S (Ssys) is a state function but I can't understand why Ssur and Suniv are a path function.
Can you give us a little context on what you have been studying?

To me, "the Entropy of the universe" is not a well defined thing to begin with. If the universe is spatially infinite then surely the total entropy for some particular spatial slice (probably using the co-moving foliation) would be infinite as well?

So, instead, perhaps we are talking instead about entropy density on a sufficiently large scale that local variations are averaged out. But now are we talking about entropy density per fixed unit volume (say per cubic megaparsec)?

Or are we talking about total entropy in a fixed co-moving spatial volume. Say entropy per what is a cubic megaparsec now, was a smaller volume in the past and will be a larger volume in the future?

Or are we talking about a hypothetical "universe" that is a much more restrictive region to which we are restricting our attention. Like the "universe of this beaker" where we are performing a reaction?

Then we get to the meat of your homework. What is meant by ##\Delta S_\text{univ}##? What does it mean when you assert that ##\Delta S_\text{univ}## is path function rather than a state function?

Are you asking, for instance, about the difference between the irreversible free expansion of a gas (e.g. a blowout of a tire) and a reversible expansion (e.g. deflating the same tire through a pump and a generator in order to charge a battery).

I'm studying a book named "Chemistry" written by Zumdahl.
It said that ##\Delta S_{univ} = \Delta S + \Delta S_{surr} ## and "In any spontaneous process there is always an increase in the entropy of the universe. This is the second law of thermodynamics."
I saw some books telling ##\Delta S_{tot}## rather than ##\Delta S_{univ}##
In the isothermal, isobaric process, ##\Delta S_{surr} = -\frac {\Delta H} T## so ##\Delta S_{univ}=-\frac {\Delta G} T##
My homework is, what will the world be if ##\Delta S_{univ}## is a state function, but I can't understand why it is a path function.

Jimyoung said:
I'm studying a book named "Chemistry" written by Zumdahl.
It said that ##\Delta S_{univ} = \Delta S + \Delta S_{surr} ## and "In any spontaneous process there is always an increase in the entropy of the universe. This is the second law of thermodynamics."
Ahhh, very good. So he has in mind a classical model. A large, but not infinite, isolated system in a stationary space-time so that total entropy is well defined. i.e. a thermo problem, not a cosmology problem. With that, I have to step back and let someone competent in thermodynamics step forward.

Why does the professor think that it is not a state function?

Chestermiller said:
Why does the professor think that it is not a state function?
I think he said that since ##\Delta S_{surr} = \frac {q_{surr}} {T_{surr}}## so ##\Delta S_{surr}## isn't a state function and that makes ##\Delta S_{tot}## a path function.
I'm not convinced by this explanation.

Jimyoung said:
I think he said that since ##\Delta S_{surr} = \frac {q_{surr}} {T_{surr}}## so ##\Delta S_{surr}## isn't a state function and that makes ##\Delta S_{tot}## a path function.
I'm not convinced by this explanation.
You shouldn't be convinced by this silly explanation. The equation you wrote for ##\Delta S_{surr}## applies to an ideal isothermal reservoir (which is typically how the surroundings are modeled). Assuming that the reservoir fluid is incompressible (also typical), ##q_{surr}=\Delta U_{surr}##. In short, this means that ##\Delta S_{surr}## is always considered a function of state. In fact, S of the surroundings would be a function of state even if this limited model did not apply. Entropy is always a state function, since it is a physical property of the material under consideration.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
You shouldn't be convinced by this silly explanation. The equation you wrote for ##\Delta S_{surr}## applies to an ideal isothermal reservoir (which is typically how the surroundings are modeled). Assuming that the reservoir fluid is incompressible (also typical), ##q_{surr}=Delta U_{surr}##. In short, this means that ##\Delta S_{surr}## is always considered a function of state. In fact, S of the surroundings would be a function of state even if this limited model did not apply. Entropy is always a state function, since it is a physical property of the material under consideration.
Ok, so your talking that ##\Delta S_{surr}## is a function of state, so the The problem itself doesn't work. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimyoung said:
Ok, so your talking that ##\Delta S_{surr}## is a function of state, so the The problem itself doesn't work. Right?
I'm saying that entropy is always a function of state.

1. Why is the Entropy of the Universe a path function?

The Entropy of the Universe is a path function because it is dependent on the path taken to reach a particular state. This means that the total entropy of the Universe can vary depending on the specific process or pathway that is followed.

2. What is the significance of the Entropy of the Universe being a path function?

The fact that the Entropy of the Universe is a path function has significant implications for thermodynamics and the understanding of energy transfer and transformation. It allows for a deeper understanding of the driving forces behind natural processes and the limitations of energy conversion.

3. How does the Entropy of the Universe relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This is directly related to the Entropy of the Universe, as it is a measure of the overall disorder and randomness of the system. The path function nature of the Entropy of the Universe allows for the Second Law to hold true for all processes, as it takes into account the specific pathway followed.

4. Can the Entropy of the Universe ever decrease?

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the Entropy of the Universe can never decrease. This is because any natural process will always lead to an increase in entropy, and the total entropy of the Universe takes into account all processes. However, it is possible for the entropy of a small system to decrease, as long as there is a greater increase in the entropy of the surrounding environment.

5. How does the Entropy of the Universe impact the concept of reversibility in thermodynamics?

The concept of reversibility in thermodynamics states that a process can be reversed without any loss or gain of energy. However, the Entropy of the Universe shows that this is not possible in reality, as every process will result in an increase in the total entropy of the Universe. This means that true reversibility is not achievable and there will always be some energy loss in any process.