Why is the image formed next to the object?

• I
  • Thread starter Wasif Shah
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the image is produced next to the object because the lens and mirror are parallel, but the image is formed a little to the side because the lens is angled.
Wasif Shah
http://imgur.com/a/nFJ0a
mEGk11U.jpg
According to this passage the image of an object after being reflected by a plane mirror is formed right next to the initial object position. However if you see the light rays, they come back exactly the same path after striking the mirror, then why doesn't the image also forms right on top of the illuminated object (cross wire), and instead forms on the side?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is completely correct if the planes of lens and mirror are exactly parallel AND the lens axis goes through the center of the object.
But to perform this determination of the focal length, it is very practical if the image is not exactly on top of the object, but a bit to a side.
This can be achieved by shifting the lens a little bit sideways.

You can convince yourself by drawing a top view of the image formation with an off-axis object.

Nope I don't get it :/ . Esp the last part when you said 'it is very practical if the image is not exactly on top of the object, but a bit to a side'

How is the image even produced next to it? I feel it should exactly overlap the object. :/

Wasif Shah said:
Nope I don't get it :/ . Esp the last part when you said 'it is very practical if the image is not exactly on top of the object, but a bit to a side'

How is the image even produced next to it? I feel it should exactly overlap the object. :/

Suppose you took the layout as shown in your diagram and rotated the mirror slightly about a vertical axis. Then the parallel rays that leave the mirror would enter the lens at a slight angle with respect to the parallel rays leaving the lens. As a result, the image will form a little to the side of the light. Typically you would hold a screen (such as a sheet of paper) next to the light and move the lens toward or away from the light until a sharp image forms right next to the light. Then you know the lens is a focal length away from the light.

Thankyou soo much I get it <3 :)

Related to Why is the image formed next to the object?

1. What is the principle behind the formation of an image next to an object?

The formation of an image next to an object is based on the principle of reflection. Light rays from the object reflect off the surface of the object and converge to form an image at a specific distance from the object.

2. Why is the image formed next to the object and not behind it?

The image is formed next to the object because of the way light rays reflect off the surface of the object. The light rays do not cross paths, therefore the image is formed on the same side as the object.

3. How does the distance between the object and the image affect the size of the image?

The distance between the object and the image is directly proportional to the size of the image. As the distance increases, the size of the image decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the image formed next to the object be larger than the object itself?

No, the image formed next to the object cannot be larger than the object itself. This is because the image is formed by light rays that are reflected off the surface of the object, and the size of the image is determined by the angle at which the light rays converge.

5. How is the type of image formed next to the object determined?

The type of image formed next to the object is determined by the position of the object relative to the focal point of the reflecting surface. If the object is placed between the focal point and the reflecting surface, a real image is formed. If the object is placed beyond the focal point, a virtual image is formed.