Why is the rpm not matching the hertz on my generator's wiring diagram?

• Thread starter pctopgs
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is troubleshooting a generator that is not producing enough voltage. After examining the wiring diagram, they found that the generator outputs 35kw, 208vac, 60hz, and 1800 rpm. However, when trying to convert from hertz to rpm, the numbers did not match up. The individual is wondering why this is and wants to understand the equipment better. It is noted that the figures are consistent with a four-pole generator.
pctopgs
This isn't homework, but I wasn't sure where to post this question

I'm tasked with troubleshooting a generator that's not producing enough voltage. I pretty much traced the low voltage back to the generator. I want to solve the problem with the generator myself, but when I looked at the wiring diagram, it says the generator outputs 35kw, 208vac, 60hz, and 1800 rpm.

The problem is, when I tried to convert the hertz to rpm, the numbers weren't adding up. My question is why is this? I should be able to convert from rpm to hz and back, right? This is mainly to understand the equipment more and not to solve any issues with it yet.[/b]
2. Hertz to rpm: Hz*60=rpm(60*60=3600, the problem is that the wiring diagram says its supposed to be 1800rpm...)
I figured maybe there's a component reduces the hertz, but i don't see this on the wiring diagram

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pctopgs said:
This isn't homework, but I wasn't sure where to post this question

I'm tasked with troubleshooting a generator that's not producing enough voltage. I pretty much traced the low voltage back to the generator. I want to solve the problem with the generator myself, but when I looked at the wiring diagram, it says the generator outputs 35kw, 208vac, 60hz, and 1800 rpm.

The problem is, when I tried to convert the hertz to rpm, the numbers weren't adding up. My question is why is this? I should be able to convert from rpm to hz and back, right? This is mainly to understand the equipment more and not to solve any issues with it yet.[/b]

"60Hz" refers to the frequency of the alternating current; "1800 rpm" refers to the speed of the rotor. The relationship between the two depends on the number of magnetic poles, according to the formula given here. Your figures are consistent with a four-pole generator.

Thank you.

1) What does "Something's not right" mean in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, "Something's not right" is a phrase used to describe the observation of unexpected or abnormal results in an experiment or data analysis. It suggests that there may be a discrepancy or error that requires further investigation.

2) How do scientists determine if something is not right?

Scientists determine if something is not right by carefully analyzing their data and comparing it to their hypothesis or expected results. They also use statistical tests and control experiments to identify any outliers or inconsistencies in their findings.

3) What are some possible reasons for something not being right in a scientific study?

There are many possible reasons for something not being right in a scientific study, including experimental error, sample contamination, faulty equipment, or a flaw in the experimental design. It is the responsibility of the scientist to identify and address these potential issues to ensure the validity of their results.

4) How can scientists prevent something from going wrong in their study?

To prevent something from going wrong in their study, scientists can carefully plan and design their experiments, use proper controls, and follow established protocols and procedures. They can also double-check their data and results, and have their work reviewed by other scientists to catch any potential errors.

5) What should scientists do if they suspect something is not right in their study?

If scientists suspect that something is not right in their study, they should carefully review and analyze their data to identify the source of the issue. They should also consult with their colleagues and seek feedback from experts in the field. If necessary, they may need to repeat the experiment or conduct further research to clarify any discrepancies.