220V Split Phase Generator for International Use

In summary, the genset can be set to run at 50 Hz in China by slowing the engine down and making voltage adjustments to the generator. However, there is a potential safety issue with using the neutral terminal within the generator, and devices used to the line-to-neutral power may not work.
jdoyle3
I am trying to convert a 240/120V 60Hz genset for international use, specifically for China at the moment. I need 50 Hz, which I can achieve by slowing the engine down and making the necessary changes to the voltage regulator in the generator. I can also adjust my Line-to-Line voltage to the necessary 220V. I am under the impression that I can neglect the neutral terminal in the generator and only use the two lines to get my 220V.

From what I understand, the power they would typically use in China (or Europe, etc.) is 220V (or 230V) measured line to neutral. Even though I am using line-to-line, is there a difference to devices being powered? I know that voltage is a measure of the potential difference across two wires which is why I can achieve the correct voltage, but I now need double-pole breakers and I don't have a true neutral in the system. And I'm not sure if I need to bond the neutral terminal within the generator to ground, or leave it floating.

How will this affect devices that are used to the line-to-neutral power? And is what I am trying to do acceptable and safe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as frequency is concerned it will not be an issue for some things like incandescent lights, resistive heating elements and universal motors such as portable drills and some power tools with brushes. However, I have a concern with the fact that the generator may have it's neutral tied to the chassis. So both sides of the 240 volt line are hot and I assume equipment in this country is typically not set up for this. Be very careful here. I see this as a safety issue.

I agree, I am very concerned about a potential safety issue. I believe the issue would be if a load internally had its neutral tied to ground. I don't know how common that is, or if that is against any and all electric codes. But then again, if that created a short, my double pole breakers would open the circuit to protect it.

I suppose that would mean it was safe, but the generator would not be able to power that load because it would trip the breaker every time.

jdoyle3 said:
I am trying to convert a 240/120V 60Hz genset for international use, specifically for China at the moment.
Welcome to the PF.

What will be the application for this power? Can you consult the manufacturer of the motor/generator to see if they are familiar with China's power system and regulations?

The power is for diesel burning heaters that we provide with the genset. But one of our selling features is that they can power the heaters with shore power instead of the genset. Otherwise we could leave the genset at 60 Hz. We are trying to set it up to run the same type of power that would normally be available.

I have contacted the manufacturer and sales rep, but so far they are about as knowledgeable as I am. We are trying to find a solution, but it is moving slow so far.

1. What is a split phase generator?

A split phase generator is a type of electrical generator that uses two separate windings to produce two 120V AC outputs, which are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. This allows the generator to produce a combined output of 240V, making it suitable for powering larger appliances or equipment.

2. How does a split phase generator work?

A split phase generator works by using two separate windings, one connected to each of the two poles of the generator. The first winding produces a 120V output, while the second winding produces a second 120V output that is 180 degrees out of phase with the first. These two outputs are then combined to produce a 240V output.

3. Can a 220V split phase generator be used internationally?

Yes, a 220V split phase generator can be used internationally. However, it is important to note that the plug and outlet types may vary in different countries, so an appropriate adapter or converter may be needed to use the generator in certain locations.

4. What are the benefits of using a 220V split phase generator?

One of the main benefits of using a 220V split phase generator is its ability to power larger appliances or equipment that require a higher voltage. It also allows for more flexibility in power usage, as the two 120V outputs can be used separately or combined to provide a 240V output.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 220V split phase generator?

The main limitation of using a 220V split phase generator is that it may not be suitable for powering sensitive electronics or devices that require a stable and clean power supply. The 240V output may also not be compatible with certain appliances or equipment, so it is important to check the voltage requirements before use.