Why is the silver anode preferentially discharged in electroplating?

In summary, the process of electroplating silver involves the discharge of Ag+ ions on the cathode (e.g. a spoon) from a silver nitrate solution, while the silver anode releases Ag+ ions. Despite the higher potential value for the discharge of OH-, the actual reaction is the opposite due to the pH of the solution and the sluggishness of oxygen-related electrode reactions. Calculating formal potentials using the Nernst equation can help determine the most suitable reaction to compare with.
rogen
I am quite confusing about the concept of electroplating of silver.
As what I know, the silver anode gives out Ag+ while the Ag+ in the silver nitrate solution deposits on the cathode (e.g. a spoon).

However, why the Ag(s) on the silver anode is preferentially discharged instead of the OH- in silver nitrate solution?

Here are the electrode potentials:
O2(g) + 2 H2O + 4 e <--> 4 OH(aq) +0.4V
Ag+ +  e <--> Ag(s) +0.8V
O2(g) + 4 H+ + 4 e <--> 2 H2O +1.23V

As the process is carried out in alkaline condition, I suppose only the first two equations are involved. From the potential values, the OH- should be preferentially discharged rather than the Ag(s), but the actual situation is the opposite. I am not sure if I have misunderstood anything (e.g. the third equation is involved instead).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are comparing standard potentials, you should compare formal potentials, taking into account exact pH of the solution. Solution can't be alkaline - that would mean precipitation of AgOH, so it has to be neutral (if not slightly acidic). Add to that fact that most electrode reactions involving oxygen are sluggish and require substantial overpotentials to proceed quickly.

Thanks for your reply:smile:
So should I use the third equation instead of the first one for comparison?

You should start calculating formal potentials for all reactions (using Nernst equation). After that it can be already obvious what is going on. (Or not - I have not checked. But that's the most obvious line of attack).

Thankssssss Borek :cool:
I got the answer!

1. What is electroplating of silver?

Electroplating of silver is a process in which a thin layer of silver is deposited onto an object using electricity. This is done by immersing the object, known as the substrate, into a solution containing silver ions and then passing an electric current through the solution. The silver ions are attracted to the substrate and form a thin layer on its surface.

2. What are the benefits of electroplating silver?

Electroplating silver offers a number of benefits, including enhanced appearance, increased durability and corrosion resistance, and improved electrical conductivity. It can also be used to repair damaged or worn objects and to create a uniform coating on complex shapes and designs.

3. What are the steps involved in electroplating silver?

The electroplating process typically involves five main steps: cleaning and preparing the substrate, applying a conductive layer, immersing the substrate in the silver plating solution, passing an electric current through the solution, and rinsing and drying the plated object. Additional steps may be required depending on the specific plating process being used.

4. What factors can affect the quality of silver electroplating?

The quality of silver electroplating can be influenced by various factors, such as the composition and condition of the substrate, the type and concentration of the plating solution, the temperature and pH of the solution, and the amount and duration of the electric current. The skill and experience of the plating technician can also play a role in the final result.

5. What are some common applications of silver electroplating?

Silver electroplating has a wide range of applications across various industries. It is commonly used in jewelry making, silverware production, and decorative objects. It is also utilized in electronics and electrical components, automotive parts, and medical devices. Additionally, silver plating can be used for engineering purposes, such as providing a low-friction surface for bearings and improving the reflectivity of mirrors.