Why is the substrate terminal considered to have no effect on MOSFET operation?

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the textbook assumes that the substrate has no effect on device operation and considers MOSFET's to be three terminal devices. This is achieved by connecting the substrate terminal to the source terminal, effectively cutting off the pn junctions between the source/drain and the substrate. When the drain is at a positive potential relative to the source, the drain-body pn junction is reverse biased and prevents any current from flowing between the source/drain and the body, regardless of the transistor's mode.
sandy.bridge
I will quote my textbook, and further I will explain what I do not understand. "Since, as we shall see shortly, the drain will always be at a positive potential relative to the source, the two pn junctions can effectively be cut off by connecting the substrate terminal to the source terminal. Thus, here, the substrate will be considered as having no effect on device operation and we will further consider MOSFET's to be three terminal devices..."
My textbook makes this assumption and has no explanation as to why it makes this assumption, and it also neglects explaining how connecting the source and the substrate terminals will effectively cut off the pn junctions. I understand how pn junctions work, but this is not clicking.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The substrate and source/drain forms a p-n junction. So there is the potential of having a voltage between the source/drain and the substrate (or body) that allows for the forward bias mode to exist and current to flow. However, if we short the body to the source pin, then the voltage across the source-body p-n junction is zero and we just have the typical equilibrium case. Given that the drain is always at a positive potential relative to the source, then the drain is also at a positive potential relative to the body and thus the drain-body p-n junction is reverse biased.

Finally, when we apply a voltage across the gate and the body to create an inversion layer between the drain and source, the inversion layer is the same doping as the drain and source. So in this manner we can prevent any current from flowing between the source/drain and the body regardless of the current transistor mode.

What is a MOSFET?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) is a type of semiconductor device used for amplifying or switching electronic signals. It is composed of three layers - the source, the drain, and the gate - and operates by controlling the flow of electrons between the source and drain through the use of an electric field created by the gate.

How does a MOSFET work?

A MOSFET works by using the electric field created by the gate to control the flow of electrons between the source and drain. When a voltage is applied to the gate, it creates an electric field that attracts or repels electrons in the semiconductor material, allowing or blocking the flow of electrons between the source and drain.

What are the advantages of using a MOSFET?

MOSFETs offer several advantages over other types of transistors, including high efficiency, low power consumption, and fast switching speeds. They also have a high input impedance, which makes them less sensitive to noise and easier to use in electronic circuits.

What are the different types of MOSFETs?

There are two main types of MOSFETs - N-channel and P-channel - which differ in the type of majority charge carrier (electrons or holes) they use to control the flow of current. Additionally, MOSFETs can be classified as enhancement mode or depletion mode, depending on whether a voltage must be applied to the gate to allow current flow (enhancement mode) or to block current flow (depletion mode).

How do I choose the right MOSFET for my application?

When selecting a MOSFET, you should consider factors such as the required maximum voltage and current, switching speed, and power dissipation. It is also important to check the datasheet for the specific MOSFET to ensure that it meets your requirements and is compatible with the rest of your circuit.