Why is there a node in the middle of an open-open tube?

• B
  • Thread starter CuriousBanker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of air molecules in a tube when blown across the open ends. It is explained that the motion is not right and left, but end to end, and diagrams are shown to illustrate this. The conversation also touches on the concept of resonance and how energy is delivered to the air column at its resonant frequency. A link to a Khan Academy video is provided for further clarification.
CuriousBanker
Hello. If you blow across an open-open tube, according to the khan academy video, the molecules at both ends contract towards the middle, and then go back outward towards the edges, and the middle molecules don't move. Why? If you are blowing over let's say the top of the left open side, why don't all the molecules move to the right? What is causing the right side molecules to come inward?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you refer us to the specific video? Maybe a link?

You aren't blowing through the tube but across the end. If you blow across the end do you think the air flow will be smooth or turbulent?

CuriousBanker said:
Hello. If you blow across an open-open tube, according to the khan academy video, the molecules at both ends contract towards the middle, and then go back outward towards the edges, and the middle molecules don't move. Why? If you are blowing over let's say the top of the left open side, why don't all the molecules move to the right? What is causing the right side molecules to come inward?
The motion in a tube is not right and left - it is end to end. The diagrams that you are shown are graphs showing the pressure (or displacement along the tube and not the direction of air movement. This is not a string but it is often not made clear.
It's easier if you first think in terms of exciting the resonance with an outside source. There will be a node inside if the tube is long enough to have a resonance at the 'test' frequency. An antinode each and and a node in the middle will work for a wavelength of twice the tube length (approx) so that will be the wavelength of the sound you hear. When you blow across the tube, you are supplying Energy and the Impedance at the resonant frequency will allow energy of that frequency to build up. If you excite a tube with white noise (all frequencies) then you will get a 'ringing' at the natural frequency of the tube, when will persist when the noise is turned off.

CWatters said:
You aren't blowing through the tube but across the end. If you blow across the end do you think the air flow will be smooth or turbulent?

Turbulent, but I still don't get the result

CuriousBanker said:
https://www.khanacademy.org/science...-sound/modal/v/standing-waves-in-tubes-part-1

What I was referring to was not from the graphs. at 2:50 he shows the displacement of the air molecules going inward, and then both sides going outward at the same time.
Of course. It's just what you would expect. For the mid spot not to be oscillating, the movements have to cancel out. His graph is just as I described (without needing to see it). I think you must be having a problem interpreting what he is actually saying because there is no contradiction.
I re-read my post and I really should have put this:
sophiecentaur said:
The motion in a tube is not right and left
differently.
I should have said "Lateral." But the video does a perfect job, in any case.

But he doesn’t even show the graph at first. Ok let’s forget the middle air molecules. Why does the air oscillate All inward and then outwards in both directions simultaneously? Rather then first right, then left?

CuriousBanker said:
But he doesn’t even show the graph at first. Ok let’s forget the middle air molecules. Why does the air oscillate All inward and then outwards in both directions simultaneously? Rather then first right, then left?
I see your problem now.
This is what would happen with a very short tube but a standing / stationary wave only occurs where waves are traveling in different directions due to reflections at 'the other' end. When this happens, the waves cancel at the nodes. There is a rather poor animation in this link which shows what I mean. The blue and green waves are bouncing against the ends and the black is the resultant. In this case (just to make things more difficult for you) an antinode is formed in the middle because the wave in this case is between two closed ends. When the waves are reflected at open ends, a node is formed. If that still gives you a pain then google standing waves and look for something better than my link. I am sure you will find something.

+1 Initially turbulence causes pulses of air to set off down the tube, these get reflected off the end of the tube. It takes time for a pulse/wave to travel down the tube and back and that changes the phase of the returning signal in relation to the original. If the time and phase are right you get constructive and destructive interference at the right places to cause nodes and antinodes.

If only i could remember the maths i could show that more power is delivered from the source/mouth to the load/resonating air column when it's at resonance, that's why if you change the driving frequency it suddenly gets louder at one frequency.

CWatters said:
If only i could remember the maths i could show that more power is delivered from the source/mouth to the load/resonating air column when it's at resonance, that's why if you change the driving frequency it suddenly gets louder at one frequency.
Iirc, it is a matching thing. More energy can go into the tube at a frequency that presents the right impedance, I think I can report having actually felt this when playing a bottle. When you get it to resonate, you can actually feel different in your lungs and there is an 'awareness' of something different in the resistance. With brass instruments (slightly different mechanism) it a definite change in the feeling, particularly down at the fundamental. It almost sucks air out of your lungs. (Or perhaps I am odd in this respect ?- anyone else??)
For an open ended resonance, the pressure variation at the central region is at a max while the displacement is at a min.

1. Why is there a node in the middle of an open-open tube?

The presence of a node in the middle of an open-open tube is due to the phenomenon of standing waves. When sound waves are produced at one end of the tube, they travel to the other end and get reflected back. This results in the superposition of the incident and reflected waves, creating standing waves with nodes and antinodes. In an open-open tube, the ends are free to vibrate, causing the node to form in the middle.

2. How does the length of the tube affect the position of the node?

The position of the node in an open-open tube is directly related to the length of the tube. The longer the tube, the longer the wavelength of the standing wave and the further the node will be from the ends. Conversely, a shorter tube will have a shorter wavelength and the node will be closer to the ends.

3. Can the node be moved by changing the frequency of the sound wave?

Yes, the position of the node in an open-open tube can be changed by changing the frequency of the sound wave. This is because the wavelength of the standing wave is inversely proportional to the frequency. So, as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and the node moves closer to the ends of the tube.

4. How does the diameter of the tube affect the formation of the node?

The diameter of the tube does not have a significant effect on the formation of the node in an open-open tube. The key factor is the length of the tube, which determines the wavelength of the standing wave. However, a larger diameter tube may result in a louder sound due to its ability to resonate at lower frequencies.

5. Is there a node in an open-open tube if the sound wave is at a specific frequency?

Yes, there will still be a node in the middle of an open-open tube even at a specific frequency. This is because the standing wave is created by the superposition of the incident and reflected waves, regardless of the frequency. The position of the node may change based on the frequency, but it will still exist in an open-open tube.