Why is this line not homeomorphic to the unit circle?

In summary: I guess I was a little too excited about the potential of knot theory. It is definitely an interesting field!
Mr Davis 97
I've been told that ##[0, 2 \pi )## is not homeomorphic to the unit circle in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Why not? From intuition, it would seem that I could just bend the line segment to fit the shape of a circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
That map does not have a continuous inverse. More colloquially, you have to break the circle to map it back to your interval.

If you think it is "inuitive" that they should be homeomorphic then you unfortunately have created yourself a false intuitive image of what it means for two sets to be homeomorphic.

Orodruin said:
That map does not have a continuous inverse. More colloquially, you have to break the circle to map it back to your interval.

If you think it is "inuitive" that they should be homeomorphic then you unfortunately have created yourself a false intuitive image of what it means for two sets to be homeomorphic.
Oh, I see. While I can form the segment into the circle, I cannot form the circle into the segment. And that inversion process from the circle to the segment has to be continuous also, when it is clearly not. I was just looking at the process in one direction.

Homeomorphic requires topological continuity, which doesn't hold at the end points of the interval.

Removing one point from interval will disconnect it, while circle will remain connected ( and path connected) if you remove anyone point. In addition, circle is compact, while interval is not. Interval is contractible while circle is not. As others stated, by collapsing two points your map is not injective.

One more question. Why is the trefoil knot homemorphic to the circle? In 3-space it does not seem that one can be deform a knot to a circle and vice versa. Is this notion of deformation how I should be thinking about homemorphism?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Is this notion of deformation how I should be thinking about homemorphism?
No. There is no reference to any sort of deformation in the definition of what a homeomorphism is - only continuous maps between topological spaces. It may be a good heuristic, but nothing then restricts you to three-dimensional space.

Mr Davis 97 said:
One more question. Why is the trefoil knot homemorphic to the circle? In 3-space it does not seem that one can be deform a knot to a circle and vice versa. Is this notion of deformation how I should be thinking about homemorphism?
EDIT: By definition/construction, a knot is a homeomorphic image of the circle, and so each knot homeomorphic to it.The standard I am familiar with is that of (ambient) isotopy, a deformation through homeomorphisms, and not just through continuous functions. And, under that criteria, the two are not equivalent.

WWGD said:
EDIT: By definition/construction, a knot is a homeomorphic image of the circle, and so each knot homeomorphic to it.The standard I am familiar with is that of isotopy, a deformation through homeomorphisms, and not just through continuous functions. And, under that criteria, the two are not equivalent.
Indeed, if knot theory was just about homeomorphisms, it would not be a very interesting field ...

Orodruin said:
Indeed, if knot theory was just about homeomorphisms, it would not be a very interesting field ...
It would _knot_(??) be interesting? ;). ( sorry, I can't let a bad pun go to waste. Really, I can't)

WWGD said:
It would _knot_(??) be interesting? ;).
o:):H

Likes WWGD

1. Why is it important to determine if a line is homeomorphic to the unit circle?

Determining if a line is homeomorphic to the unit circle is important because it helps us understand the topological properties of different geometric objects. This knowledge is useful in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a continuous and bijective mapping between two topological spaces that has a continuous inverse. In simpler terms, it is a function that preserves the topological properties of a space.

3. How can we prove that a line is not homeomorphic to the unit circle?

We can prove that a line is not homeomorphic to the unit circle by showing that one of the topological properties, such as connectedness or compactness, is not preserved under a continuous mapping between the two spaces.

4. What is the topological property that distinguishes a line from a unit circle?

The topological property that distinguishes a line from a unit circle is compactness. A line is not compact, while a unit circle is compact. This means that a line can be stretched to infinity without changing its topological properties, while a unit circle cannot be stretched without changing its topology.

5. Can a line and a unit circle be homeomorphic in a different dimension?

Yes, a line and a unit circle can be homeomorphic in a different dimension. In 3-dimensional space, a line and a unit circle can both be considered as circles, and therefore, they are homeomorphic. However, in 2-dimensional space, a line and a unit circle are not homeomorphic.