Why mobile devices use same pins for charging and for pwr transferring

In summary, mobile devices can receive electricity during charging from either the charger or the battery, depending on the system's design. The power is distributed through power conditioning circuits and not directly from the battery. It is also possible for a system to charge the battery and run off it simultaneously, although this can cause complications. The two pins on a charger represent the flow of power into or out of the battery, and in some systems, the device may draw power from the charger while also charging the battery.
amit016
Mobile battery has generally 3 pins, 3rd for safety and 2 pins for supply. How can mobile devices get electricity during charging from same pins from where it is transferring power to mobile circuit?

Please help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess there are two ways that can work.

1. When charging, systems can get power from the charger. The charger both runs the system and the battery charging circuits. Then, when the charger power goes away, the system switches to the battery and run off it. It is fairly easy for the power circuits to switch without interrupting system operation. So, think of the mobile device as getting power from the charger if it is plugged in, or from the battery if the charger is not plugged in.

2. I've also worked on systems that charge the battery and run off it at the same time, and it causes no end of problems because the system draws a variable current, and the battery requires a precision current to charge correctly. But it is possible to work that way (I expect there are charger chips that do it all). You just need to compensate for the current being drawn by the system.

Not all devices will work the first way, but that is the easiest since you can start a system with a dead battery without waiting for it to get some charge.

All systems go through power conditioning circuits after the battery, generally a combination of switching and linear regulators to supply the various subsystems. Nothing generally runs directly off the battery.

Don't get confused about the two pins. When charging, power flows into the battery, and when supplying, power flows out. If a system and a charger were both connected to the same two pins (like #2 above), the system would essentially steal power from the charger while it was charging the battery. That is, the charger would power the system and the battery.

Last edited:

1. Why do mobile devices use the same pins for charging and for power transferring?

Mobile devices use the same pins for charging and power transferring because it is more efficient and cost-effective for manufacturers. Having separate pins would require more space and resources, making the device bulkier and more expensive. Using the same pins also simplifies the design of the device and reduces the risk of damage from plugging in the wrong cable.

2. Can using the same pins for charging and power transferring damage my device?

No, using the same pins for charging and power transferring will not damage your device. The pins are designed to handle both functions and are tested to ensure they can handle the necessary power and voltage. However, using a non-certified or faulty charging cable can potentially damage your device.

3. Why do some devices charge faster than others even though they use the same pins?

The charging speed of a device depends on several factors, including the device's battery capacity, the power output of the charging cable and adapter, and the charging technology used by the device. While the pins may be the same, these other factors can greatly affect the charging speed.

4. Can I use any charging cable with my device as long as the pins are the same?

No, it is important to use a certified charging cable that is specifically designed for your device. Using a non-certified cable or one that is not compatible with your device can result in slow charging or potentially damage your device.

5. Is it safe to use my device while it is charging?

Yes, it is generally safe to use your device while it is charging. However, it is important to note that using a device while it is plugged in can cause it to charge slower. It is also recommended to use a certified charging cable and to avoid using the device in wet or humid conditions while it is charging.