Why Nitrogen has 5 Oxidation Numbers that are false?

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of oxidation numbers in chemistry and how they are not a real physical property of atoms. The teacher mentioned that 5 out of 6 oxidation numbers for nitrogen are not accurate and that the real oxidation number is -3. However, the guest speaker explains that oxidation numbers are just a tool for calculations and can vary depending on the compound. The conversation ends with the realization that the chemistry being taught may not be entirely accurate, but oxidation numbers are still useful for balancing equations.
Gjmdp
My Chemistry Teacher told that 5 of the 6 oxidation numbers of Nitrogen are not true. He said something like it is a mathematical trick for I don't know what. The real oxidation number is -3. Can anyone explain me what are the 5 false oxidation number? Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your chemistry teacher is wrong. An oxidation number of -3 implies that N2 has a charge of -6.

First of all - oxidation numbers don't exist in reality. There is no property of an atom that can be measured to check what the ON is. ON are just an accounting device that helps us to keep track of the electrons - a clever, and useful one, but without any experimental support.

However, we have defined how to calculate oxidation numbers, and we can calculate them following the rules. For different existing compounds we get different ONs for the nitrogen, neither is more real than the rest, they all exist only in our calculations.

Ok thank you so much! This means that the chemistry I'm learning is wrong...

Gjmdp said:
This means that the chemistry I'm learning is wrong...

Not necessarily. As I wrote - ON are quite useful for balancing redox equations, just don't treat them too seriously.

1. Why does nitrogen have 5 oxidation numbers?

The number of oxidation states an element can have is determined by its electron configuration. Nitrogen has 5 valence electrons in its outermost shell, allowing it to form bonds with a variety of other elements and resulting in 5 possible oxidation numbers.

2. Is it true that nitrogen can only have 5 oxidation numbers?

No, in fact, nitrogen can have other oxidation numbers besides 5. While 5 is the most common and stable oxidation state for nitrogen, it can also have oxidation numbers of -3, -2, 0, and +1 in certain compounds.

3. Does nitrogen always have 5 oxidation numbers in every compound?

No, the oxidation state of nitrogen can vary depending on the compound it is in. For example, in ammonia (NH3), nitrogen has an oxidation state of -3, while in nitric acid (HNO3), it has an oxidation state of +5.

4. Can nitrogen have more than 5 oxidation numbers?

While 5 is the most common oxidation state for nitrogen, it is possible for it to have higher oxidation numbers in certain compounds, such as in nitric oxide (NO) where it has an oxidation state of +2.

5. Why is it important to understand nitrogen's oxidation numbers?

The oxidation state of an element is important in understanding its reactivity and behavior in chemical reactions. Knowing the possible oxidation numbers of nitrogen allows scientists to predict and study its reactions with other elements and compounds.