Why nobel prize is awarded for blue led invention .?

In summary, the Nobel Prize is not awarded for something done recently (or in the previous year). It may for something done 20 years ago.
Ganesh Ujwal
why nobel prize is awarded for blue led invention even though it was invented before?
i bought this blue led 2 years back i.e on 2012,

asdasd_zpsd03dc90e.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobel Prizes aren't awarded immediately. They are being acknowledged for something that they did 20 years ago.

All Nobel prizes are awarded for achievements or discoveries made before.
It's not an award for something done recently (or in the previous year). It may for something done 20 years ago.

Edit.
Funny. I wrote 20 years too even though I was writing while Danger were posting already.:)

Likes pechan and Danger
Getting a Nobel Prize is not like opening a box of Cracker Jacks and finding one inside.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/popular-physicsprize2014.pdf

It took more than three decades of work to produce blue LEDs. The first working blue LEDs were created in the early 1990s.

nasu said:
It's not an award for something done recently (or in the previous year)
One exception to that is the Peace Prize, which is usually quite current as is demonstrated by this year's deserving co-winners.

Yes, you are right. I did not think about it but just the physics one.

I think that in the original statutes, it had to be awarded for an innovation of the last year, but this has been changed long ago.

Google suggests the longest wait from original research to prize is 38 years. That went to Ralph Steinman in 2011 for work he did in 1973.

Hm, Peter Higgs wrote his paper in 1964 and got his Nobel prize in 2013.

How could I forget him! So that's 49 years!

Although his was delayed because it took that long to prove he was correct.

DrDu said:
I think that in the original statutes, it had to be awarded for an innovation of the last year, but this has been changed long ago.
If it was, they broke the rule from the beginning, with the first prize in physics which was given to Roentgen in 1901 for the x-rays discovered in 1896.Not 20 years, true. They were faster then. :)

S.Chandrasekhar also got it I think after 50 years for his discovery about chandrashekhar limit.(fate of stars below 1.4 solar masses etc...)

Every physicist does not target prize.Genuine explorers carry on and enjoy their work.

Damned Peace Prize seems to get awarded before there's any evidence of peace at all. (I haven't noticed a lot of it around, lately)

Likes Nathanael
I remember my electronics textbook in the 70s said of LEDs that, theoretically, the only color they should produce is blue, yet up until that time blue was the one color no one had been able to produce.

Clearly, the theory of the day had its shortcomings, too.

Likes kashan123999

1. Why was the Nobel Prize awarded for the invention of blue LED?

The Nobel Prize was awarded for the invention of blue LED because it revolutionized the field of lighting technology. Blue LED allowed for the creation of energy-efficient, long-lasting, and environmentally friendly white light sources, making it an important contribution to society.

2. Who discovered blue LED and when?

The blue LED was discovered by three scientists - Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano, and Shuji Nakamura - in the early 1990s. They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2014 for their groundbreaking work.

3. What is the significance of blue LED in modern technology?

Blue LED has had a significant impact on modern technology, particularly in the fields of lighting and display technology. It is used in a wide range of applications, from household lighting to smartphone screens, and has greatly improved energy efficiency and durability.

4. How does blue LED differ from other types of LED?

Blue LED differs from other types of LED in terms of its color and energy efficiency. Unlike traditional LEDs, which emit red or green light, blue LED emits a blue light that can be combined with phosphors to produce white light. It also uses less energy compared to other types of lighting technology.

5. What challenges were faced in the development of blue LED?

The development of blue LED was a challenging process that took several decades. One of the main challenges was finding the right materials to create blue light, as it required a different approach from traditional LED technology. Additionally, the production process was complex and required advanced equipment and techniques.