Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The 2014 Nobel Prize in physics

Tags:
  1. Oct 6, 2014 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

... will be announced tomorrow, October 7. Does anyone want to make a guess as to who it will be, or which field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    Oh exciting! I have no prediction, but I would like to see a prize in Biophysics at some point.

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3

DataGG

Gold Member

Are all the Nobel prizes announced tomorrow, or just physics?

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

TumblingDice

Gold Member

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5

TumblingDice

Gold Member

I read an opinion that the area of neutrino oscillations is prime real estate. Coincidence that I read PeterDonis commenting that a PF post is out-of-date, mentioning neutrinos as an example of "massless particles"...?

So maybe Takaaki Kajita, who devised the detection method for the Super-Kamiokande experiment in Japan, or Art McDonald, who led the SNO project in Canada.

I didn't really want to make a guess, but maybe this breaks the ice!

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

Borek

In the context of neutrinos - that would be quite unfortunate for the IceCube.

8. Oct 6, 2014 #7
    I am hoping for BICEP-2 but don't think it will win as there are still kinks to work out.
    Rubin might finally get the long due Nobel though, which would more than make up for BICEP2.

9. Oct 6, 2014 #8
    Wee my university got the '14 nobel prize in medicine!

10. Oct 6, 2014 #9

atyy

Science Advisor

Clauser, Aspect, Zeilinger

11. Oct 6, 2014 #10
    Looking forward to the announcement!

12. Oct 6, 2014 #11
    Do you know where I can watch this in the internet, if I can(god I'm excited:) )? I missed it last time. Ah yes I missed the post above,sorry for the useless post.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  13. Oct 6, 2014 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  14. Oct 6, 2014 #13
    When does it start in english time?

15. Oct 7, 2014 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Oct 7, 2014 #15
    Little boring if you ask me.

17. Oct 7, 2014 #16

Borek

Boring, but shiny!

18. Oct 7, 2014 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boring??? I'm sure they don't give out Nobel prizes for being boring. This does not only affect the light bulb above the kitchen table, it's a benefit for society and is influencing the progress of science itself. Because of the blue LED discovery I can live-image biological processes, without overheating the sample.. to just name a personal example :)

19. Oct 7, 2014 #18
    Well deserved! Colleagues invented something very useful :)

20. Oct 7, 2014 #19
    Very useful, yes. But it looks more like materials engineering than hard core physics.

21. Oct 7, 2014 #20
    Well toilet brushes are very useful to society, but are still very boring. Then again I find most experimental stuff boring since at the end of the day experimentalists spend 95% of their time solving engineering problems, give or take.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook