Why Order Matters in an 'and' Statement

• Python
  • Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary: Second, my phone's autocomplete dictionary has "encrypted" but not "decrypted". Weird I have never seen that before.
Taylor_1989
TL;DR Summary
I am slightly confused as to why, in a IF statment that when using the AND operator the order in which the operator matters.
I am currently doing a leet code problem and came across something, I have not noticed before.

Here is a sample of the code I am working on.

Python:
s = "10#11#12"
A=[]
B=[]
i=0
count=0
while i < len(s):
    if i+2<len(s) and s[i+2]=='#':
        A+=[(s[i]+s[i+1]+s[i+2])]
        i+=3
        print(i)

Now the code above throws no error, however when I change the order of the and statement like the code below:

Python:
s = "10#11#12"
A=[]
B=[]
i=0
count=0
while i < len(s):
    if s[i+2]=='#' and  i+2<len(s) :
        A+=[(s[i]+s[i+1]+s[i+2])]
        i+=3
        print(i)

I get an out of range error as shown below:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 10, in <module>
IndexError: string index out of range

So my question is why does order matter? I have always been under the impression that if you had an and statement with two True conditions then it would carry through the if statement, and if one of the conditions was False did not matter which way round it was it would not carry through the if statement.

I now assume this type of thinking is wrong.

Technology news on Phys.org
Many (not all) languages implement "shortcut" evaluation of if conditions. If you do a test like IF A AND B THEN, and it turns out that A is FALSE, then there's no point in even checking B - we know A AND B is FALSE whatever it is. So the computer can shortcut the operation. Ditto A OR B if A is TRUE - there's no point checking B in this case.

Knowing this, can you see why your first version works and your second one errors out?

Likes sysprog, DrClaude, .Scott and 2 others
Incidentally, is what you are trying to achieve here just A=s.split("#")? This isn't what your code does, but I suspect it might be what you are aiming at.

Ibix said:
Many (not all) languages implement "shortcut" evaluation of if conditions. If you do a test like IF A AND B THEN, and it turns out that A is FALSE, then there's no point in even checking B - we know A AND B is FALSE whatever it is. So the computer can shortcut the operation. Ditto A OR B if A is TRUE - there's no point checking B in this case.

Knowing this, can you see why your first version works and your second one errors out?
Ah okay, I can see now thank you. Also, I am not aiming at splitting the given string. Basically I have to use a dictionary to convert there given string to a bunch of letter i.e decrypt the message, in this case, a-i is given the numbers 1-9 and j-z onwards is given by 10#, 11#,12#, etc.

I was just playing around with the idea of separating each of these into a list than checking against a dictionary, then from there looking at ways to optimize it the code.

Ah - I see. You can definitely optimise that, but I'll leave you to explore.

A couple of points, though. First, s[i]+s[i+1]+s[i+2] can be written s[i:i+3]. That becomes a huge saving when you want s[i:i+50]! Second, can I suggest more descriptive variable names? s for string isn't bad, but encryptedString would be better. And almost anything is better than A and B. Perhaps encryptedChars and decryptedChars?

Side note - my phone's autocomplete dictionary has "encrypted" but not "decrypted". Weird...

Likes sysprog, jim mcnamara and Taylor_1989
Ibix said:
Ah - I see. You can definitely optimise that, but I'll leave you to explore.

A couple of points, though. First, s[i]+s[i+1]+s[i+2] can be written s[i:i+3]. That becomes a huge saving when you want s[i:i+50]! Second, can I suggest more descriptive variable names? s for string isn't bad, but encryptedString would be better. And almost anything is better than A and B. Perhaps encryptedChars and decryptedChars?

Side note - my phone's autocomplete dictionary has "encrypted" but not "decrypted". Weird...

First thank for the input, I can't believe I didn't think of using a slice method, thank you. To be honest I am just doing the leetcode problems, not for interview practice but more to learn about the python language itself. Also yes I agree my variable names should be more descriptive make sure of this next time

Likes sysprog, Ibix and jim mcnamara

1. Why does the order matter in an 'and' statement?

The order matters in an 'and' statement because it affects the logical outcome of the statement. In other words, the order in which the conditions are presented determines whether the entire statement is true or false.

2. How does the order affect the meaning of an 'and' statement?

The order in an 'and' statement affects the meaning by determining the relationship between the conditions. If the conditions are presented in a specific order, it implies that one condition must be true for the entire statement to be true. If the order is changed, it may imply that both conditions must be true for the statement to be true.

3. Can the order be changed in an 'and' statement?

Yes, the order can be changed in an 'and' statement. However, changing the order may affect the logical outcome and the meaning of the statement. It is important to carefully consider the order of conditions in an 'and' statement to accurately convey the intended meaning.

4. What happens if the order is not specified in an 'and' statement?

If the order is not specified in an 'and' statement, the default order is typically from left to right. This means that the first condition listed will be evaluated first, followed by the second condition. However, it is always best to specify the order to avoid any confusion or misinterpretation.

5. Is the order important in other logical operators besides 'and'?

Yes, the order is important in other logical operators besides 'and'. Similar to the 'and' statement, the order in logical operators such as 'or' and 'not' can also affect the meaning and outcome of the statement. It is important to carefully consider the order of conditions in all logical operators to accurately represent the intended logic.