Why we use strictly less than delta and epsilon in definition of limits

In summary, the limit of a function f(x) is L if for all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that abs(x-y)<δ implies abs(f(x) - L)<ε. The limit of a function f(x) is L if for all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that abs(x-y)=<δ implies abs(f(x) - L)=<ε.
MarlyK

Homework Statement

I'm wondering why we can't use less than or equal to for the formal definition of the limit of a function:

Homework Equations

lim x→y f(x)=L iff For all ε>0 exists δ>0 such that abs(x-y)<δ implies abs(f(x) - L)<ε

Why not:

lim x→y f(x)=L iff For all ε>0 exists δ>0 such that abs(x-y)=<δ implies abs(f(x) - L)=<ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I just imagine that it doesn't matter because epsilon is arbitrary, but I'm not sure. If we're using the epsilon such that we have a strict inequality, given that set of x that satisfies this, all we're doing is including the boundary points of the open set specified by delta on the domain, and we know that by the definition using strict inequalities that there then exists a [ε][/1]>ε such that abs(f(x) - L)<[ε][/1] (and thus abs(f(x) - L)=<[ε][/1], but we know that there are not x in our ball that actually satisfy abs(f(x) - L)=[ε][/1]).

But I can't seem to find a way to satisfy a two way implication i.e. prove the definitions are equivalent. Maybe there's a good contradiction up someone knows two show they're not equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definitions are equivalent.

Suppose f satisfies the <= definition of [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow y}f(x) = L[/itex]. Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. Then there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex]0 < |x - y| \leq \delta[/itex] implies [itex]|f(x) - L| \leq \epsilon/2[/itex]. Thus clearly [itex]0 < |x - y| < \delta[/itex] also implies [itex]|f(x) - L| \leq \epsilon/2[/itex]. But [itex]\epsilon/2 < \epsilon[/itex], so f satisfies the < definition of [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow y}f(x) = L[/itex].

You can prove the converse quite similarly.

Thanks - I was having trouble trying to find a way to imagine picking a larger epsilon while keeping it arbitrarily close to zero, but I see now that if we define the relation as a proportion of the smaller epsilon, this works. Thanks.

Related to Why we use strictly less than delta and epsilon in definition of limits

1. Why do we use "strictly" less than instead of "less than or equal to" in the definition of limits?

The use of "strictly" less than in the definition of limits allows us to consider the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value, rather than its behavior at that exact value. This is important because a function may not have a well-defined value at a particular point, but we can still analyze its behavior as it gets closer to that point.

2. What is the significance of using delta and epsilon in the definition of limits?

Delta and epsilon are used to represent the distance between two points on the x and y axes, respectively. In the definition of limits, we are concerned with the behavior of a function as these distances approach zero. This allows us to determine the limit of a function at a particular point, even if the function is not defined at that point.

3. Can't we just use equal intervals instead of "less than" delta and epsilon?

No, using equal intervals would not accurately represent the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value. This is because a function may have a different rate of change at different points, and using equal intervals would not take this into account. Delta and epsilon allow us to consider the behavior of a function at smaller and smaller intervals, giving us a more precise understanding of its behavior.

4. How do we determine the appropriate values for delta and epsilon in the definition of limits?

The values of delta and epsilon are determined based on the specific function being analyzed. Generally, we want to choose values that are small enough to accurately represent the behavior of the function, but not so small that they become impractical to work with. In some cases, we may need to use mathematical techniques or technology to help determine the appropriate values.

5. Are there any alternative ways to define limits without using delta and epsilon?

Yes, there are alternative ways to define limits, such as using sequences or graphs. However, the use of delta and epsilon is the most common and widely accepted method, as it allows for a precise and rigorous definition of limits that can be applied to a wide range of functions.