Why Were Women Scientists Ignored in the 19th Century?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, during the 19th century, many prominent male scientists held a low opinion of women and believed in their innate inferiority. This belief was perpetuated by the idea that women had smaller brains and therefore were less intelligent. Beatrix Potter, known for her writing, had a passion for drawing plants and animals and even wrote a paper on mold spores which was read at a scientific society, but she was not allowed to attend the meeting because she was a woman. Despite her interest in science, she pursued writing as a career. However, it is speculated that if she were alive today, she may have become a successful botanist.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
And how science ignored them.

I have one example, Beatrix potter, best known for her writing, but could have
become a scientist.
Beatrix was taught at at home by a governess, while her brother Bertram was
sent to boarding school, she had a love of drawing plants, animals, and more.
In 1896 her uncle sir Henry Rosco took Beatrix with her drawings, to meet the
director of the Royal Botanical Gardens and other botanists, they looked at her
drawings but would not discuss them with her.
After this disappointment, Beatrix wrote a paper about, spores of molds, which
was read at the Linnaen Society of London, Beatrix could not read the paper
her self as women were not allowed in these meetings.
Betrix studied mycology, entomology, botany, geology may be others.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had no idea. Seems like if she were living today she would have certainly become a botanist.

May be this is where ignoring women as scientists originated.

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-feminine-brain-a-19th-century-view

Many great men of science had a low opinion of women. Aristotle, who used "pure logic" to infer that women have fewer teeth than men but never bothered to count women's teeth, said that women are passive and men active. He considered women as "mutilated men." Darwin and Freud also believed in the innate inferiority of women, and during the 19th century many scientists were convinced that women had to be less intelligent because of differences in brain structure.

Math Is Hard said:
I had no idea. Seems like if she were living today she would have certainly become a botanist.

May be, it seems her writting was a second choise, what else could she do.

I'd never heard of her! :blushing: But it was really interesting.

wolram said:
Darwin and Freud also believed in the innate inferiority of women, and during the 19th century many scientists were convinced that women had to be less intelligent because of differences in brain structure.
I think a lot of it all boiled down to measurements in "cranial capacity" or skull volume. Women had smaller heads therefore smaller brains therefore were less intelligent. They said the same thing about black people. Did you ever read by Stephen Jay Gould? It's a wonderful book that covers this subject (the cranial capacity link to human intelligence myth) and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one i have not read, MIH, aka, 7 of 9, i should read more :smile:

I never realized Beatrix Potter was so intellectual.
I wonder if she would still have written her books were she a scientist. My childhood wouldn't have been quite the same without Peter Rabbit:
http://wiredforbooks.org/kids/beatrix/p1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Were Women Scientists Ignored in the 19th Century?

1. Who were some influential women of the 19th century?

Some influential women of the 19th century include suffragists Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, activist and writer Harriet Tubman, author Jane Austen, scientist Marie Curie, and Queen Victoria.

2. What were some major social and cultural changes for women in the 19th century?

In the 19th century, women saw major social and cultural changes such as the feminist movement, the fight for women's suffrage, the rise of the "New Woman" who challenged traditional gender roles, and the establishment of women's colleges and organizations.

3. How were women's rights and roles different in the 19th century compared to previous centuries?

In the 19th century, women's rights and roles began to shift as a result of the Enlightenment and industrialization. Women had more access to education and employment opportunities, but they still faced restrictions and discrimination in many areas of society.

4. What challenges did women face in the 19th century?

Women in the 19th century faced many challenges, including limited legal rights, lack of educational and employment opportunities, and societal expectations to conform to traditional gender roles. They also faced discrimination based on race, class, and marital status.

5. How did the 19th century pave the way for women's rights today?

The 19th century saw significant progress in women's rights and paved the way for the feminist movements of the 20th and 21st centuries. Women's suffrage, the fight for equal education and employment opportunities, and the recognition of women's rights as human rights all have roots in the 19th century.

Back