Wi-Fi Interference: How Microwaves Can Affect Your Wireless Connection

Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Microwave messes up Wi-Fi?
I have noticed that every time my microwave is ON, my Wi-Fi connection freezes. It comes back as soon as the microwave stops. Is it normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not normal. Is your microwave in good physical condition? Clean? Is your house's electrical service overstressed (do lights flicker when the microwave starts?)? Can you confirm which wifi band you are using?

Likes Hill
russ_watters said:
No, it's not normal. Is your microwave in good physical condition? Clean? Is your house's electrical service overstressed (do lights flicker when the microwave starts?)? Can you confirm which wifi band you are using?
Hmm... It is certainly clean. Not old. I did not notice any flickering lights. Don't see a reason for the house electricity to be overstressed, don't have many appliances...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Regarding this issue:
https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/resources-you-radiation-emitting-products/microwave-ovens#:~:text=Microwave energy will not leak,not open or close properly.

How close is your router and/or computer to the microwave? The link above also lists the leakage limit: 5 mW/sq cm as measured 5 cm from the microwave. That's a lot more than I would have expected. For a 1 cubic foot microwave, that's about 140W (?!). The maximum output of a wifi router in the US is 1 W.

Likes Hill
Hill said:
I have noticed that every time my microwave is ON, my Wi-Fi connection freezes. It comes back as soon as the microwave stops. Is it normal?
No, it is not normal. The two devices work in the same 2.45 GHz ISM band, so it is not unexpected.

Each power-on cycle of the microwave oven magnetron, will produce a single carrier that starts at the high frequency side of the ISM band, then slides down the band as the magnetron gets hotter and expands.

When Bluetooth, or a Wi-Fi receiver, is desensitised by the microwave oven leakage, it should hop automatically to a different nearby frequency in the band. Maybe your Wi-Fi does not hop once it has established a network of devices.

• Informative
Likes Hill, russ_watters and berkeman
I am wondering if the router or the digital device are close to the oven. In such case, the leakage from the oven might be sufficient to block one of the wi fi receivers. It will then make no difference what frequency the receiver is tuned to, it will not work.

Likes Hill
tech99 said:
I am wondering if the router or the digital device are close to the oven. In such case, the leakage from the oven might be sufficient to block one of the wi fi receivers. It will then make no difference what frequency the receiver is tuned to, it will not work.
The oven is about 2.5 m from the router and is almost on a straight line between the router and the computer on which I've noticed the issue. I have another computer in a different direction and am going to check if the same happens there.

The oven is also a substantial chunk of metal, able to block energy at 2450 MHz. The receivers might already be working at very low signal strength for this reason.

tech99 said:
The oven is also a substantial chunk of metal, able to block energy at 2450 MHz. The receivers might already be working at very low signal strength for this reason.
The network status in the Control panel shows 80-100% with the oven OFF.

Hill said:
The oven is about 2.5 m from the router
Can you move your router out of the kitchen? :wink:

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
I could. But then I wouldn't know about the leakage.

Hill said:
TL;DR Summary: Microwave messes up Wi-Fi?

I would suspect bad door seals. They are designed as a RF choke tuned for the Magnetron frequency. Door misalignment or damage can cause excess RF leakage on older ovens.

A quick and 'dirty' (this means it's NOT a good test of actual oven generated RF leakage) test is to put a cell phone inside with the door closed and the oven OFF. See if you can call that phone. Older ovens with bad seals often affect Wi-Fi routers and devices. I have a HackRF One that I use as a signal snooper. A device like that can easily detect problems.

Likes Hill
nsaspook said:
I would suspect bad door seals. They are designed as a RF choke tuned for the Magnetron frequency. Door misalignment or damage can cause excess RF leakage on older ovens.

A quick and 'dirty' (this means it's NOT a good test of actual oven generated RF leakage) test is to put a cell phone inside with the door closed and the oven OFF. See if you can call that phone. Older ovens with bad seals often affect Wi-Fi routers and devices. I have a HackRF One that I use as a signal snooper. A device like that can easily detect problems.
Tested. Yes, I can call the phone inside the closed oven.

The next question is, except of the minor inconvenience of the freezing Wi-Fi is there anything else to worry about regarding this leakage?

russ_watters said:
The link above also lists the leakage limit: 5 mW/sq cm as measured 5 cm from the microwave. That's a lot more than I would have expected. For a 1 cubic foot microwave, that's about 140W (?!). The maximum output of a wifi router in the US is 1 W.
If the leakage comes mainly from the door seal, then we have a slot about 1 metre long. This can be considered to be 16 half waves. Each one has an aperture of 0.13 lambda^2 = 4.7cm^2, so radiates 4.7x5 = 20mW. As there are 16 half waves, the power radiated is 16 x 20 = 320mW. If there are directions in which the radiation adds in phase, the effective radiated power will be 16 x 320 =5120 mW, whereas in directions where there is random phase the ERP will be 320mW.

Likes russ_watters
Hill said:
The next question is, except of the minor inconvenience of the freezing Wi-Fi is there anything else to worry about regarding this leakage?
Have you already had all the kids that you plan on having? :wink:

BTW, I just tested texting my phone in my microwave and it was able to go through no problem. But that's using the WiFi router and not my Verizon LTE service instead (which is orders of magnitude weaker)...

Likes Hill
berkeman said:
BTW, I just tested texting my phone in my microwave and it was able to go through no problem. But that's using the WiFi router and not my Verizon LTE service instead (which is orders of magnitude weaker)...
Upon further review...

Okay that was weird. I just now turned off WiFi on my phone, and re-ran the test of sending it a text while in the oven (from my laptop using <phone number>@vtext.com), and it went through as well. But I did notice again a strange behavior that I noticed in my first test of sending it when my WiFi was turned on...

In both cases I could hear the alert tone from my phone saying it had received a text while it was in the microwave oven, but in both cases when I pulled my phone out of the oven, it again gave me that alert tone. So it was like the phone could receive the messages, but could not transmit well enough to acknowledge the receipt. I'm not sure that's what is going on, but it's a different behavior compared to when I run the test out in the open in my home. Interesting...

• Informative
Likes Hill and sophiecentaur
Just checked another computer, the same distance but in other direction. It was not affected. However, the first computer was not affected either.

Maybe how long the oven is ON is also a factor (?). Or, if the oven is empty or has a food inside (?). For example, as the food inside gets hot, the door gets hot, and then it starts leaking (?).

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur
berkeman said:
Moving things about could well give you a clue here.
nsaspook said:
I would suspect bad door seals.
And that is a possible reason (plus the door alignment on its hinges (did you ever drop it slightly on a corner??) the microwave seal around the door is a very clever bit of narrow band slot filtering; actual metal to metal contact is not needed over the narrow range of operating frequencies. On the inside of the door there will be a rubber strip with a thin slot running along it. If you ever spilled some sauce / soup the has filled up part of the slot then it could be spoiling the screening . The actual separation between the door and the case might also reduce the screening. Use a damp cloth etc to clean through the slot.
But microwave ovens are usually made pretty well ( a safety critical item in the kitchen and people use them under all sorts of conditions so they really should be 'safe'.

Likes nsaspook and Hill
berkeman said:
I just now turned off WiFi on my phone, and re-ran the test of sending it a text while in the oven (from my laptop using <phone number>@vtext.com), and it went through as well.
The really good screening is only over a narrow frequency range so you may need to check the bands your phone uses compared with the oven frequency,

Hill said:
For example, as the food inside gets hot, the door gets hot, and then it starts leaking (?).
The door may be warping as it heats up?

More data:

Tested again, for a longer time and with food inside. The connection to computer that is on the router-oven line, froze. The connection to the other computer was unaffected.

sophiecentaur said:
The door may be warping as it heats up?
That is what I thought.
sophiecentaur said:
On the inside of the door there will be a rubber strip with a thin slot running along it.
Nothing like it on my oven door (LG). Just flat plastic to metal surfaces.

berkeman said:
Okay that was weird. I just now turned off WiFi on my phone, and re-ran the test of sending it a text while in the oven (from my laptop using <phone number>@vtext.com), and it went through as well. But I did notice again a strange behavior that I noticed in my first test of sending it when my WiFi was turned on...
Just FYI, SMS is not sent over the internet as far as I know, but is sent over the cell phone's phone network. That uses a different frequency band than WIFI and microwave ovens, which may or may not explain why you can receive texts while your phone is inside the microwave.

Drakkith said:
Just FYI, SMS is not sent over the internet as far as I know, but is sent over the cell phone's phone network. That uses a different frequency band than WIFI and microwave ovens, which may or may not explain why you can receive texts while your phone is inside the microwave.
Which is to say, that the insulated quarter-wave door flanges, that work so well to block 2.45 GHz leakage from the oven, are invisible to the other wavelengths, as used for mobile phones. The whole door panel can then become an antenna, coupling phone signals efficiently into the oven.

Likes nsaspook and sophiecentaur
Hill said:
Nothing like it on my oven door (LG). Just flat plastic to metal surfaces.
They all look different because the plastic / rubber is not a major part of the filter. Under the strip there is a slot in the metal, hidden from view. Obvs it must be better not to have exposed grooves in the plastic as there's no room to accumulate grot.
1701778954269.png

This diagram shows the basics of how the slot in the flange works. It's the clever way a transmission line acts as a transformer. the top right has a blank end (short circuit) which is transformed into an open circuit at the knee, half way along and then back to a short circuit across the gap between the door and case (at the microwave frequency) Waveguide couplings use a similar method to avoid signal leakage in and out at a join.

Likes Hill

1. What is Wi-Fi interference and how can microwaves affect it?

Wi-Fi interference occurs when signals from different devices overlap and disrupt the wireless communication. Microwave ovens can cause interference because they operate at a frequency of 2.45 GHz, which is very close to the 2.4 GHz frequency used by many Wi-Fi devices. This can lead to a temporary reduction in Wi-Fi speed and connection reliability when the microwave is in use.

2. How can I tell if my microwave is interfering with my Wi-Fi?

Signs that your microwave may be interfering with your Wi-Fi include sudden loss of Wi-Fi connection, slow internet speeds, or inconsistent performance that occurs specifically when the microwave is being used. You can test this by turning on the microwave and observing if there's a noticeable impact on your Wi-Fi's performance using a speed test or by monitoring the connection stability.

3. Are all microwaves likely to interfere with Wi-Fi?

Not all microwaves will cause interference. The likelihood depends on the shielding effectiveness of the microwave and its proximity to your Wi-Fi router or devices. Older or poorly shielded microwaves are more likely to cause interference. Additionally, interference is more probable if the microwave and Wi-Fi router are close to each other.

4. What can I do to reduce or prevent interference from my microwave?

To minimize interference, you can try moving your Wi-Fi router further away from the microwave, upgrading to a dual-band router that also uses the 5 GHz frequency band, which is less likely to be affected, or replacing an old microwave with a new, better-shielded model. Additionally, ensuring that your Wi-Fi network is using a Wi-Fi channel that's less crowded can help reduce interference.

5. Does microwave interference pose a health risk?

No, microwave interference with Wi-Fi does not pose a health risk. The interference is limited to disruptions in data transmission over your wireless network. Microwave ovens are designed to keep the radiation they use to cook food within the oven itself, and any leakage would be minimal and far below international safety standards.