Wick's theorem: 4 field correlator, 2 different fields

In summary, the conversation deals with the use of Wicks theorem in finding the fully contracted terms of a four-field correlator. The question asks whether the fully contracted terms are (a) ##(\phi_1 . \phi_2)( \Phi_3. \Phi_4) ## or (b) ##(\phi_1 . \phi_2)( \Phi_3 \Phi_4) + (\phi_1 \phi_2)( \Phi_3. \Phi_4) + (\phi_1 . \phi_2)( \Phi_3. \Phi_4)##. The homework equations are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involves finding the contraction between fields of the same
binbagsss

Homework Statement

##T(\phi_1\Phi_2\phi_3\Phi_4)##

where ## \phi_1## is ##\phi(x_1)## and ##\phi## and ##\Phi## are two different fields.

By Wicks theorem ##T(\phi_1\Phi_2\phi_3\Phi_4)= : : + contracted terms.##

QUESTION
Are the fully contracted terms (apologies for the bad notation I'm going to denote a contraction simply by a dot ).
a) ##(\phi_1 . \phi_2)( \Phi_3. \Phi_4) ##
b) ##(\phi_1 . \phi_2)( \Phi_3 \Phi_4) + (\phi_1 \phi_2)( \Phi_3. \Phi_4) + (\phi_1 . \phi_2)( \Phi_3. \Phi_4)##

Homework Equations

look up, look down...

(yourtrousersarestillontodaybecauseihaventbeenonthevodka)

The Attempt at a Solution

to be honest I thought the answer would be b).
Whilst I understand that you can not contract between fields of different types, b) is consistent and does not do this, rather the other two fields (uncontracted are simply multiplying it.)

For example for a three field correlator of the SAME type I get ## \phi_x G(y-z) + \phi_y G(x-z) + \phi_z G(x-y) ## (this will ofc vanish once sandwiched between the vacuum states, but as far as Wicks theorem takes us is this).

So in the same way I thought you could get contraction of the same field multiplied by uncontracted other fields, however having wrote out the whole expression, multiplied it all out in terms of creation and annihilation operators and applied the commutator relation etc I get a).

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?
I mean pretty much the definition of wicks thm before sandwiching between the vacuum states is correlator=normal order + ALL POSSIBLE contractions
Which reduces to, once sandwiched between the states, correlator=normal order + fully contracted

ta

1. What is Wick's theorem?

Wick's theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the expectation value of a product of fields. It is based on the idea that the expectation value of a product of fields can be expressed as a sum of all possible pair-wise contractions of the fields.

2. What is a 4 field correlator?

A 4 field correlator is a term used in Wick's theorem to describe the expectation value of a product of four fields. It represents the correlation between four different fields and is calculated by summing up all possible pair-wise contractions of the fields.

3. What are the 2 different fields in Wick's theorem?

In Wick's theorem, the 2 different fields refer to two different types of fields, such as fermion and boson fields. These fields are fundamental particles that make up matter and interact with each other through quantum field theory.

4. How is Wick's theorem used in quantum field theory?

Wick's theorem is used in quantum field theory to calculate the expectation value of a product of fields. It allows for the simplification of complex equations by expressing them as a sum of all possible pair-wise contractions of the fields.

5. What is the significance of Wick's theorem in physics?

Wick's theorem is a powerful mathematical tool that has been instrumental in the development of quantum field theory. It allows for the calculation of complex physical quantities and has been used to make predictions and test theories in particle physics, condensed matter physics, and other areas of physics.