Wick theorem proof 4 point correlator 2 different fields

In summary, the Wick theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate correlation functions. A proof of the Wick theorem shows how the expectation value of a product of field operators can be expressed as a sum of products of the expectation values of individual operators. A 4 point correlator is a correlation function involving four field operators at different points in space and time. The Wick theorem can also be applied to correlators with different fields, allowing for the calculation of the expectation value of products of operators from different fields. The 4 point correlator with 2 different fields is important in quantum field theory as it allows for the study of interactions between different fields and their contributions to a system's behavior.
binbagsss

1. Homework Statement

Attached:
wickthmproofswilbthedeathofme.png

Homework Equations

I've just changed the notation a tad to make things quicker for me :

##\phi_1=\phi_1(x_1)## and ##\Phi_2=\phi_2(x_2)##

: denotes normal product. i.e annhilator operators are on the RHS, so acting on a vacuum state will give zero.

I can split a field ##\phi_1 = \phi_1^a + \phi_1^c ## , where a denotes the annihilating component of the field and c the creation operator component of the field.

##[\phi(x),\Phi(y)]=0## , different fields commute, important here.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I expect the result ## T( \phi_1 \Phi_2 \phi_3 \Phi_4 ) = : \phi_1 \Phi_2 \phi_3 \Phi_4 : + [\phi_1^a,\phi_3^{c}] [\Phi_2^a,\Phi_4^{c}] ##

The last term being fully contracted, as if any field is not involved in a contraction it will be zero when hitting a vacuum state.

If I assume that ##x_1^0 > x_2^0>x_3^0>x_4^0## then:
##T( \phi_1 \Phi_2 \phi_3 \Phi_4 ) = (\phi_1^a+\phi_1^c)(\Phi_2^a+\Phi_1^2)(\phi_3^a+\phi_3^c)(\Phi_4^a+\Phi_4^c)
= (\phi_1^a\Phi_2^a+\phi_1^a\Phi_2^c +\phi_1^c\Phi_2^a +\phi_1^c\Phi_2^c) ((\phi_3^a+\phi_3^c)(\Phi_4^a+\Phi_4^c))=
(\phi_1^a\Phi_2^a+\phi_1^a\Phi_2^c +\phi_1^c\Phi_2^a +\phi_1^c\Phi_2^c) (\phi_3^a\Phi_4^a+\phi_3^a\Phi_4^c +\phi_3^c\Phi_4^a +\phi_3^c\Phi_4^c) ##
Now I will simplify this first expression by noting that anything in the first brackets with creation component on the left hand side will result in a normal ordered term as will anything in the second bracket with a annihilation component on the right hand side, so the only terms I need to consider are:

##= ( \phi_1^a\Phi_2^a +\phi_1^a\Phi_2^c ) (\phi_3^a\Phi_4^c +\phi_3^c\Phi_4^c) = \phi_1^a\Phi_2^a \phi_3^c\Phi_4^c + \phi_1^a\Phi_2^c \phi_3^a\Phi_4^c + \phi_1^a\Phi_2^a \phi_3^a\Phi_4^c + \phi_1^a\Phi_2^c\phi_3^c\Phi_4^c ##
Where here I expect since different fields commute I expect the only term that will not be normal ordered or zero to be coming from the ## \phi_1^a\Phi_2^a \phi_3^c\Phi_4^c ## after two iterations, since commutator of different fields is zero.
## = : : + \phi_1^a\Phi_2^c [\phi_3^a,\Phi_4^c ] + \phi_1^a\Phi_2^a [\phi_3^a,\Phi_4^c] + [\phi_1^a,\Phi_2^c]\phi_3^c\Phi_4^c + ##
## = : : +0+0+0 + \phi_1^a \phi_3^c\Phi_2^a\Phi_4^c+ \phi_1^a[\Phi_2^a, \phi_3^c] \Phi_4^c ##
##= = : : +0+0+0 + : : \phi_1^a \phi_3^c [\Phi_2^a,\Phi_4^c] + \phi_1^a[\Phi_2^a, \phi_3^c] \Phi_4^c ##

QUESTION
So I have one commutator that is non-zero ## [\Phi_2^a,\Phi_4^c] ##, however there is no fully contracted term since ##\phi_1^a , \phi_3^c ## are not contracted. Where has my proof gone wrong to not reveal a fully contracted term?

Many thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your attempt at finding a solution to the problem. After reviewing your work, I believe there may be a few errors in your approach.

First, it seems like you are using the notation for annihilation and creation operators in a different way than what is typically used in quantum field theory. In most cases, the annihilation operator is denoted as "a" and the creation operator as "a†". Also, the notation for the normal ordered product is usually denoted as " : : " instead of just " : ". This may not affect the final result, but it can cause confusion when trying to follow your calculations.

Second, in your attempt at simplifying the expression, you have only considered terms in the first and second brackets that have either a creation or annihilation operator on the left or right side, respectively. However, there are other terms that should be considered, such as those with two creation or two annihilation operators. These terms may not result in a fully contracted term, but they should still be included in your calculations.

Lastly, I believe there may be some mistakes in your final steps. For example, in the line where you have ## = : : +0+0+0 + \phi_1^a \phi_3^c [\Phi_2^a,\Phi_4^c] + \phi_1^a[\Phi_2^a, \phi_3^c] \Phi_4^c ##, it seems like you have used the commutator relation for different fields incorrectly. The commutator of two different fields should be zero, so this term should not appear in your final result.

I hope this helps you in finding the correct solution to the problem. Keep in mind that there may be other approaches or techniques that can be used to solve this problem, so don't get discouraged if your initial attempt did not yield the desired result. Keep exploring and trying different approaches, and don't hesitate to seek help from your peers or instructors if you get stuck.

Best of luck with your work!

1. What is the Wick theorem?

The Wick theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate correlation functions. It allows us to express the expectation value of a product of field operators in terms of the expectation value of the individual operators.

2. What is a proof of the Wick theorem?

A proof of the Wick theorem is a mathematical demonstration that shows how the expectation value of a product of field operators can be expressed as a sum of products of the expectation values of individual operators.

3. What is a 4 point correlator?

A 4 point correlator is a correlation function that involves four field operators at different points in space and time. It is used to study the relationship between these operators and how they evolve over time.

4. Can the Wick theorem be applied to correlators with different fields?

Yes, the Wick theorem can be applied to correlators involving different fields. This allows us to calculate the expectation value of products of operators from different fields.

5. Why is the 4 point correlator with 2 different fields important in quantum field theory?

The 4 point correlator with 2 different fields is important in quantum field theory because it allows us to study the interactions between different fields and how they contribute to the overall behavior of a system. This is crucial in understanding the dynamics of particles and their interactions in the quantum world.