Wikipedia Not Working? 48 Hr Struggles & Frustration

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, someone in the building might have been using an infected computer and has blacklisted everyone's IP address.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
For the last 48 hours I've struggled to get onto wikipedia. Every other website works fine for me except wiki, my browser just sits there loading for minutes! Sometimes it works but most of the time I get an "Oops!" message. Is this happening to anyone else? It's frustrating considering how much I (and many threads in PF) rely on wikipedia for reference. I think this best sums up how I feel

extended_mind.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I'm pretty sure it's just me because I can get on with a proxy server. :cry: Anyone have any suggestions about how to fix it??

Strange, I've been on it quite a bit this evening without issue (from Aus). Not sure where the host would be though.

Wiki worls fine with me...

micromass said:
Wiki worls fine with me...

Yeah it's definitely me. Balls.

Sounds to me like you might have an infection. Have you been engaging in usafe, unprotected relations on the open internet? Oh Ryan, and I thought you were a good boy.

ryan_m_b said:
Yeah it's definitely me. Balls.
Did you try rebooting? Or, close your browser, clear your cache, then retry. If that doesn't work, repeat but also clear cookies, and restart. Usually one of these will fix the problem.

In case problems persist, consult your Doc. Please remember we can't give medical advice at PF.

Wiki has never worked reliably for me.

Evo said:
Did you try rebooting? Or, close your browser, clear your cache, then retry. If that doesn't work, repeat but also clear cookies, and restart. Usually one of these will fix the problem.

Didn't work :frown: I'll keep messing around.

ryan_m_b said:
Didn't work :frown: I'll keep messing around.
Wow, they've blacklisted your IP?

Evo said:
Wow, they've blacklisted your IP?

Looks like it. Annoyingly I live in accommodation that provides Wireless internet for everyone in the building so one of them must have got us all blacklisted. Bugger. On the plus side I can still get through on proxies and my tenancy only has a month left.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Yay fixed it with the time honoured method of turning it off, going to sleep and trying again in the morning! My IQ is back :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Related to Wikipedia Not Working? 48 Hr Struggles & Frustration

1. Why is Wikipedia not working for 48 hours?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be a technical issue on Wikipedia's end, a problem with your internet connection, or scheduled maintenance.

2. How can I fix the issue of Wikipedia not working for 48 hours?

First, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and restarting your device. If that doesn't work, you can check if there are any reported outages on Wikipedia's official social media accounts or contact their support team for assistance.

3. Is it just me or is Wikipedia down for everyone?

You can check if Wikipedia is down for everyone by using online tools such as DownDetector or IsItDownRightNow. These websites can show you if there are widespread reports of Wikipedia being inaccessible.

4. Can I access Wikipedia through any other means if the website is not working for 48 hours?

Yes, you can try accessing Wikipedia through their mobile app or through a virtual private network (VPN) if the issue is related to your internet connection or location.

5. How often does Wikipedia experience outages or downtime?

Wikipedia's servers are usually very reliable, but they may experience occasional outages or scheduled maintenance. These are usually resolved within a few hours and should not affect the overall functionality of the website.