Will a Leyden Jar Store AC Current?

In summary, a Leyden jar can't store a high voltage AC current. A transformer that operates at 15000 volts AC is needed to store the charge.
Fischer777
Okay, I was planning on building a Tesla coil for my (high school) physics class. For the high voltage capacitor I was planning on using a Leyden jar, however, after doing some research I only found references to it being used to store an electrostatic charge. Thus, my question is, can a Leyden jar be used to store a high voltage AC current? Or should I stick with the more commonly used saline-in-a-plastic-bottle capacitor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is for the primary side of a Tesla coil, right? If so, you are storing DC electric charge.

A Leyden jar stores a fantastically tiny amount of charge. So does the salt water in a bottle. It's just a variation of a Leyden jar. Is the saline in a bottle trick really what your Tesla coil plans call for?

Last edited:
This transformer operates at about 15000 volts AC. That would be OK for a Leyden Jar, but the capacitance needs to be about 0.0235 µF which is a lot more than one Leyden Jar (which would be about 500 pF) could produce.

I found this website:
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/parts.html#schematic
which gives a way of making such a capacitor.
They use 8 parallel strings of 16 0.047 µF 1500 volt capacitors in series.

vk6kro said:
This transformer operates at about 15000 volts AC. That would be OK for a Leyden Jar, but the capacitance needs to be about 0.0235 µF which is a lot more than one Leyden Jar (which would be about 500 pF) could produce.

I found this website:
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/parts.html#schematic
which gives a way of making such a capacitor.
They use 8 parallel strings of 16 0.047 µF 1500 volt capacitors in series.

Since I posted, I've also done some internet poking around myself. The 15KV value comes from a standard neon sign transformer. A table top Tesla coil could be take much less voltage and require less capacitance.

A polypropylene soda bottle is a better dielectric than a glass bottle and is a lot thinner. (But is the dielectric strength good enough?) A few soda bottles filled with salt water and wrapped in aluminum foil or sitting in a bucket of salt water might work just fine for a school science project.

Edit: I'll have to retract some of this. The dielectric constant of Polyethylene Terephthalate Polyester (PETP), used to make soda bottles, is 3.0 at 1MHz. (It's dielectric strength is 17KV per millimeter).
By comparison, the dielectric constant of silica glass is about 6.0 at DC. I don't know about glass at comparable frequencies.

Last edited:
So I found a 1 liter pepsi bottle. It's only 12 mils thick! At 5.2 KV breakdown, the most you'd want to put across it would be about 3kV.

Last edited:
The capacitor is on the primary side. However, the neon sign transformer I plan on using only produces 10Kv at 30 miliamps, which I assume is probably enough (the secondary is only 18 inches tall and about 2 inches in diameter). I was informed that a similar Leyden jar capacitor to the one I'm using can hold up to 3 joules of energy (it was specified as a gallon mayonase jar, however, I only used a standard sized jar). I did not do the math to check this, however, and if the walls are significantly thiner then it may be substantially less. I also was informed from this same source that glass Leyden jars are a bit more 'rugged' than plastic (being able to take more current and alternating at that), and that is what made it my first choice.

Last edited:
To charge from AC you need a one-way High Voltage Diode 5-10kv in-line to stop the alternating current from returning. I say 5kv because at 10kv only half the volts will becoming backwards back out of the jar at frequency.

1. What is a Leyden Jar and how does it work?

A Leyden Jar is an early form of capacitor, which is a device used to store electrical energy. It consists of a glass jar or bottle lined with metal foil on the inside and outside, with a conducting rod or wire passing through the lid. To use it, the jar is first charged by connecting the wire to a source of electricity. The metal foil on the inside and outside of the jar acts as conductors, while the glass acts as an insulator. This allows the jar to store a large amount of electrical charge until it is discharged through the wire.

2. Can a Leyden Jar store AC (alternating current) current?

Yes, a Leyden Jar can store AC current. The jar itself does not differentiate between AC or DC (direct current) current, it simply stores the electrical charge. However, the type of current that can be stored is dependent on the type of source used to charge the jar. If the source provides AC current, then the jar will store AC current. If the source provides DC current, then the jar will store DC current.

3. Is a Leyden Jar still useful in modern times?

While the Leyden Jar may not be as commonly used as it once was, it is still a useful device in certain applications. It is often used in experiments and demonstrations to show the principles of electricity and capacitance. It can also be used in high voltage applications, such as in some medical equipment or in particle accelerators.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a Leyden Jar?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a Leyden Jar. Since it can store a large amount of electrical charge, it can give a powerful shock if not handled properly. It is important to discharge the jar after each use and to handle it with caution. Additionally, the glass jar can break if it is charged too quickly or with too much voltage, so it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using the jar.

5. How does a Leyden Jar compare to modern capacitors?

A Leyden Jar is a very basic form of capacitor and has been largely replaced by more advanced and efficient capacitors in modern times. Modern capacitors can store larger amounts of energy, have a longer lifespan, and are smaller in size. However, the Leyden Jar is still useful in certain applications and is a great way to demonstrate the principles of electricity and capacitance.